Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

clicker training

allymack
September 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
has anybody here used clicker training, and if so, did it work well? i bought one tonight at training becasue he seemed to respond to it well when the trainer used it on him, so hoping it will work well when i use it :fingerscr

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I haven't Allymack but I know that some trainers and regular folks swear by them. It's another tool in the toolbox! I seem to recall that Liisa uses clicker training so hopefully she'll chime in here (she doesn't log on regularly though so you might need to revive this post if you don't get other replies).

~michelle~
September 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
i havent tried it but I know my bf wants to with the dogs... like mumx3 said its just another tool! but the effectiveness of it works in the immediateness (?) of it. ( am i making up words again?) oh my im tired.... should stop giving advice!

Lukka'sma
September 16th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Lukka was clicker trained. I thought her training was the easiest thing in the world. Her recall isn't all too good, but her sit, sit-stay, down, down-stay, leave it etc were all done with clicker and yes it seemed to be very effective for her. I was shocked to see all the pups in Lukka's class sitting each and every time they were asked at our first week of school. Love that clicker

Ford Girl
September 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I love the clicker!!! If your dog is food motivated this should work well for you. Dazy learns very quick and is very food motivated. I would suggest you talk to a trainer about it before you start clicking away, or research it, that's the first warning they give you, don't just start clicking away, a click at the wrong time or a accidental click without a reward will do damage and will frustrate you both. Both obedience classes we took were clicker, I now don't use it for the things she knows, only for new stuff. Caution: once they know what it means the drool will start as soon as they see it! LOL!

Things I have taught Dazy using the clicker are:

Look left, look right
Say your prayers
Be sneaky (she crawls as flat as she can make herself)
Hi Five, how about 10
Over and Under and around
Loose leash walking (still working on it, but works well for leash pullers)
Give Kisses
Long stays (we are up to about 15 mins and I can leave the room for short periods in that time - but not to cook cuz she just can't help herself)
Out of the Kitchen (she goes to a certain spot and lays down out of the kitchen - I use this for putting groceries away, loading the dishwasher, or cooking, I put tape on the floor so she knew exactly where to go)
While walking on leash, when I stop walking for any reason at any given time, she goes in to a sit right away, if I look her way she goes in to a down right away.
Leave it, take it (If food drops on the floor she looks me in the eye for permission to take it and waits until I say take it - doesn't work if I'm not in the room!!!)
Touch it (I stopped doing this once she knew it due to the drool factor)

I bought the Dog Tricks for Dummies book, I randomly pick a cool trick and follow it breaking it down in to at least 3 steps. With the clicker you reward any forward progress one step at a time, I personally love it. And I have had no issues taking the clicker away from something she learnt, and then eventaully phase out the treats too. She gets so excited when the clicker comes out, it tells her treats and learning are heading her way!!!

allymack
September 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
want to explain how you taught some of these, maybe touch it, be sneaky and say your prayers? you dont have to, just thought they might be cool for enzo to learn when he is done the basics

Ford Girl
September 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
want to explain how you taught some of these, maybe touch it, be sneaky and say your prayers? you dont have to, just thought they might be cool for enzo to learn when he is done the basics

Sorry, I didn't see this.

Touch it was taugh at second level obedience class, it's mainly used for scared dogs with things like bikes, walkers, shiney floors and it's used in agility. We started with tupperware lids, hold it behind your back and bring it around quick, your dog will automatically nose it, click as they make contact with it, no words at this point, put it back behind you and repeat, they don't know it's the same lid each time, they think it's something new and will nose it, when they clue in you add the word touch. When they know the word you can then walk around your house pointing at things saying touch and they will nose it. SLOBER FACTOR: HUGE!!! Did I mention I don't do this anymore. hahah! But she knows it and we are starting agiltiy soon, so it will come in handy.

Be Sneaky I learned in Dog Tricks for Dummies book, it's a lure trick, get your dog in a down, hold the treat between the paws which are straight out, and move it forward slowly not letting the dog take it, they can mouth it and lick it, what ever gets them moving forward on their belly, a couple inches, click and release the treat, start over, couple inches click and release the treat, once they start crawling a foot or so on their belly, use the word sneaky as they are moving.

Say Your Prayers was another out of the above book, we started with a sit in front of a chair or couch - facing the couch - this is not easy for them, they are taught to either sit directly in front of you or to your side facing the same way you are, so am arm chair that you can go behind works well, click and treat while facing couch, then I placed her paws up on the couch while she continued to sit, say paws, stay..click and treat while the paws are up on the couch, we did this for a week or so. The next step was..while she had her paws up waiting for me to click and treat, I put my arm under hers and she had to look down to see the treat, as soon as she looked down, I clicked and she took the treat, over and over again, then I started to use the word prayers when her head was bowed. Things to keep in mind for this one, it's alot of steps, teach one at a time and don't move forward until they have it down pat, my dog was very good at any tricks invovling her paws - she knows what her paws are and it comes natural for her to raise her paws and balance that way.

Once they have it - remove the clicker, never train frustrated, keep it fun, do it when they are hungry and have already burnt some energy. And use good out of the ordinary treats!! Small ones. When I put my bait bag on (a small leather bag clipped to my belt with the clicker and treats), she knows it's time to turn it up a notch, and start each session with commands such as down, sit, stay, establish you are the teacher, the dog's the student, just twice each, then try something new, move on if they just don't get it. They only need one word commands, the rest you can add in later...she doesn't know what "say your prayers" means in sentance form, but she knows prayers mean sit - paws up - bow head - hold. Buy the book if you want more, it's pretty fun, and easy to read.

Dazy really turns it up if we do these infront of other people, I say the word and she's front and centre...ready to show her tricks, I find it's a great way to let children know how fun and loving she is dispite her size and excitment, kids are usually scared of her approach. :clown:

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
There is nothing better than going to a house with a well behaved pooch and one that can entertain you is a bonus.
I found the touch trick to work well for Lukka when I wanted her to walk onto the vet table. I think when he brought it down to floor level while she was standing beside it made her very leery. I just had her touch my palm and we walked forward. Trying to coax her to walk on any other way was just not going to happen.

Ford Girl
September 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
There is nothing better than going to a house with a well behaved pooch and one that can entertain you is a bonus..

Now now, I didn't say she was well behaved!!!! :laughing: :laughing: Smart and eager. We are working on the behavior!!! hahha!

They do say the touch it trick is a great way to help dogs conqure their fears. It's not so scarey if they touch it and it's still just an object that doesn't move or touch them back. They also use this to start tricks like turning lights on and off, finding things for you like your keys or the leash.

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Now now, I didn't say she was well behaved!!!! :laughing: :laughing: Smart and eager. We are working on the behavior!!! hahha!

Just wanted to say that although I seldom reply to threads I do read them and you are getting great results with the dog park issues and your desire to have a well mannered dog doesn't go unnoticed:thumbs up

Ford Girl
September 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to say that although I seldom reply to threads I do read them and you are getting great results with the dog park issues and your desire to have a well mannered dog don't go unnoticed:thumbs up

Thank you!!! I appreciate it!! It's funny cuz I say things like..she's so bad..and people look at me like..what are you talking about? It's easier to make issues out of the negative things, and forget about the little positive acheivements. This dog has changed our lives so much, in ways we never thought.

Tigs
September 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hi there,
This is my first post. I am a behaviourist from the UK who uses clickers all the time. The point of the clicker is psychological-the sound of the clicker if introduced correctly becomes a conditioned stimulus. In other words, you first have to create an association between the clicker and something positive like food. Then you can use the clicker as a stimulus (like food). There are a couple of great books out there to introduce you to the concept, which was originally developed from use with dolphins. Any of Karen Pryor's books, like Don't Shoot the Dog are great intros!

Tigs

allymack
September 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
thanks for all the replys, i am definately going to check out some of these books!, they sounds really helpful, but oyu guys are helpfull to :thumbs up and thanks for breaking down those tricks, ford girl, just picked enzo up from a daycare/ sleepover that he was at while i was gone for a day/night ( wasnt possible for hime to come with me :sad: ) but he is soooo tired now, and he is definately going to for the rest of the night!!:thumbs up, haha