Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird Puppy Personality

Shihtzu_lover07
September 15th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I have a question. My Shih Tzu puppy is eight months old, and my husband just came home from a seven month deployment. Well, he gives her just as much attention as I have for the past seven months, and she does not act jealous around either one of us. But, while we are getting ready to go to sleep, we kiss each other goodnight, and Shelby (our puppy) walks up right in the middle of us, and pokes her little head in between us! Why does she do this? Is she protective over me, or my husband??? Like I said, she does not act jealous towards either one of us, and we both give her equal amount of attention. We are puzzeled by this.

Thanks,
Brandy and Scott Davis

growler~GateKeeper
September 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Not weird at all, she just wants in on the lovin' :)

Welcome to the board :) You will get bugged for pics so be prepared :D

Shaykeija
September 16th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Pretend this is my bed....

:sleepy: :dog: :sleepy:
Me Tyra Hubby

:dog:
Missie

:cat:
Piper

I don't get too much of the bed :laughing:

marko
September 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Although this doesn't seem like really bad behaviour, I'm thinking that this is a dominance related behaviour.....and maybe it should be discouraged.
Anyone else think so too?

LavenderRott
September 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Although this doesn't seem like really bad behaviour, I'm thinking that this is a dominance related behaviour.....and maybe it should be discouraged.
Anyone else think so too?

Yep.

You will find that many major dominance issues (especially in the cute little dogs) start out with little things like this and escalate.

Personally, my little 8 pounder isn't allowed on my bed at night until I am all tucked in and ready to go to sleep.

Tommysmom
September 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Yep... it's a cute little thing - 'awwww, look, he wants to be part of it' - but if you don't stop it then it can become an issue. Mine does this too, and for a while it started becoming a problem... we couldn't do anything without the dog wanting to be part of things, he started thinking everything was about him, and he'd act out if he wasn't the center of attention. Once we put a stop to it he behaved a lot better. Now he knows when he's permitted to do this and when he's not (because we DO think it's cute to have 'family kisses', lol). He knows that when we invite him to come in between and kiss us it's ok, but if he's not invited it doesn't happen. Stopping this actually stopped a while lot of bad behaviour that we didn't even realize was related.

Oh, and I forgot to say, this started with us after my husband came home from working overseas, too. I don't know if it's because it was just pup and me for a while, so he was used to everything relating to him, or not. But he was the same way - not jealous, no problems, just this 'me, me, me, everything's about me' issue.

Ford Girl
September 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hi, my little 70lb er does this too, when we are snuggling on the couch, she will come over to us and kiss us like crazy, or if we hugging the kitchen, she will snuggle real close, but we don't let her sleep on our bed, our dog is dominent so she needs to earn priveldges like that. If she gets too crazy while trying to join in, we make her sit, then down, then we give her loving too, but we never let her try to come directly inbetween us or demand to be let in the love fest. LOL!

Shihtzu_lover07
September 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
When we put her on the bed, she will go right in the middle of us! lol! but we move her and tell her no, but then, one of us will reach to turn off the lamp, and she will go right back to the middle of us, and again, we move her and tell her no. If we dont put her on the bed, she is sad, and then I feel bad for not letting her up, and then she will scratch on the side of our bed, until we give in. She is spoiled! lol. everyone has been helpful! Thanks!

bendyfoot
September 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Actually, a lot of the time dogs will get in the middle of kissing, hugging or snuggling couples because, in their world of doggy body language, it's not polite behaviour! They're actually trying to de-escalate a potentially volatile situation!

I wouldn't be worried unless the dog shows signs of aggression: refuses to get off the bed, growls when you move her to sit next to hubby, etc...then you're dealing with a problem.