Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

another peeing in the kennel

halfasleep
September 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I have a 10 months old Wheaten Terrier, She goes to bed at night from 11:00pm to 6:30am, that's 7 1/2 hours. During the day I go to work and leave her at 11:00am and my girlfriend comes back from work at 5:00pm, that's 6 1/2 hours. She doesn't pee during the night but she pees in her kennel during the day. I thought maybe her kennel is too big but then why isn't she peeing in it during the night. I know she can hold it during the day. Also last week during the evening we were all watching TV , me , girlfriend and dog and my dog went in her kennel (door is always open) peed in it and came back watching TV with us.

Please help me.

I'm actually thinking of lowering the seilling in the kennel so it's uncomfortable for her to pee in it.

PMac
September 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Halfasleep, I have had the same problem with my 3 1/2 mo. old Jack Russell Terrier. She will go all night for 8 hrs. and never a drop of pee or a poop in the crate, but leave her for 4 hrs. in the daytime and whamo, she pee's in the crate. Never poops in it, but it is still a pain in the butt. I had a JR for 16 years before her and don't remember it being this hard. The crate is a little big, an intermediate and my vet who also has a JR said to shorten it up by about a third so the dog has just enough room to turn around. We will see and if she does it again she'll have to lay in it and I'm sure she won't like it. I took the top off, its a plastic kennell and my wife had a cooling rack for cookies, so I drilled a couple small holes in both sides of the crate slipped the rack in about 2/3rds back and used plastic wire ties to:shrug: secure the rack in place. Put the top back on and now her crate is smaller by a third. I'll keep you updated on it's success or failure.

~michelle~
September 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
thats alot of time in a kennel for a little pup., maybe hire someone to let her out in the afternoon?

PMac
September 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Michelle, I read my post and I guess I didn't clarify my actions. Our female JR can stay all night for 7-8 hrs. and not pee or poop in the crate. We don't leave her for 8 hrs. in the day. My wife leaves for work at about 8:00 am and returns home at noon, lets her out to pee and run around for about 45 mins. and then returns her to he crate at about 1:00 pm and returns to work coming home at about 4:45 PM. Paul