Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food recommendations needed for a very small puppy

Isolde
September 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I have a small 11 (and a little bit) week chihuahua puppy that is now (from the breeder) on Purina pro plan chicken and rice puppy food :yuck: but I would like to changer her to something better.
I would like to know some good puppy food options.

TIA :)

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know a whole lot about dog foods (not owning one) but its a general rule of thumb to swap over to any new food (ie. from a different company) slowly. Depending on the puppy/kitty how long the swap should take is different.

My two cats liked being switched over more slowly, over about 2 or 3 weeks before they really liked it. Others have had no issues doing it immediately. Still others gave it a few days to a week.

I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you some "real" advice ;)

Megan

wdawson
September 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43949

luvntzus
September 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Hmmm, my first choice is Nature's Variety (their Prairie line). Timberwolf Organics is also a very good food and all of their varieties have very small kibbles. Their Wild and Natural is a tiny kibble. Also, Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken Meal & Rice would be a good choice for a small breed puppy.

geisha
September 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your new puppy.
May I suggest dogfoodanalysis.com. You can do the research on what food options are available in your area. Feel free to ask questions about the food. There are several good choices and the best food is what's best for your dog and what your pup does best on. Good luck.:thumbs up
Okay now I get to add my :2cents:. Innova puppy, Wellness puppy, Orijen puppy, Solid Gold Huchen Flocken, Canidae All Life Stages. etc.