Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raising 2 female puppies, good or bad idea?

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 10:24 AM
My wife and I are considering getting 2 female puppies, a golden retriever and a husky. We want to get them when they are 8-12 weeks of age and raise them together.

I have read many articles about the do's and don'ts of raising 2 female dogs together but want to hear from actual pet owners rather than read scripts from experts with doctorate degrees in raising dogs.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Goldenmom
May 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM
There should be no problem raising 2 females together. I think the problem you will find is raising 2 pups period. Have you had pups before? Just 1 pup is an unbelievable amount of work. As I have 2 goldens that I raised as pups, I know how they can be.

Can you provide more information??

Heather

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 10:48 AM
Yes. My wife has owned goldens and I have owned husky's. We have not owned a dog since we've been together. We have shared stories about our dog raising experiences many times and know we are good dog owners.

I have read that 2 female dogs fight more often than 2 males or a female vs a male. We are trying to do as much homework on this issue as needed in order to make a sound decision.

Princesss04
May 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM
I have noticed that girl dogs are more moodie together than males are so that is something you may want to consider. If the dogs are fixed than they will do alot better togethr. I do not see any reason you could not raise them together. It will be alot of work since one puppy is alot of work but if you are ready for that go for it. Be careful as far as attention because if you favour one over the other and dogs will tell the other one will start actting up for attention. Like going to the bathroom in the floor and things like that. So love them both and give the both the same amount of attention. They are just like children, they want to know that you love them equally and care for them the same. :D Good luck with your puppies!

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 10:59 AM
I say no~!

Females close in proximity in age will inevitably fight. Not now but when they get older, they can be very dominating over eachother and fight to death. Some horrible things can happen from this situation.

I don't ever recommend getting two puppies EVER at the same time, whether be it litter mates or not.

Why?

Well the dogs end up relying too much on 'eachother' then on you. They don't distinguish differences between themselves or establish identities because they 'grow up' together.

You would think maybe this is a good thing, no it's not!

Why?

Obedience training made very difficult. Dogs won't be able to learn their own names as easily. You may have to call both names before you even get one to respond. They seek eachother out for support, safety and comfort as well as follow eachothers lead when it comes to negative, aggressive or destructive behaviours.

If you get two dogs, they should at LEAST be two years apart in age and don't ever set yourself up with two females, it's too dangerous. One male and one female.

But NOT the same age!! And don't get them at the same time either, get them independant of eachother, so they have their own identities and obedience training separately.

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM
I can see both sides to this issue.

Lupa, I tend to lean more towards what you have said.

My thinking is the husky would automatically dominate because of it's nature, which would inturn decrease the hostility between the dogs once they socially mature. Does this make sense?

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Lupa, I agree with your quote about obedience classes for humans.

Lucky Rescue
May 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM
I responded in your other thread.

Please post your question or comment in one forum only. Thanks!:)

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
I do agree with Luba on the 2 females.... :)

I have raised 2 male pups....Yes it is alot of work.

I would go with one pup first.

My sister has 3 Siberians and a Border Collie.But she started with one female Husky and her female BC...Both 3 months old.And yes when they got older there were some issues..And still are at times.And they are 8 now.And as you know,alot goes into owning a Husky.They are ALOT of work.And need tons of exercise.And you need to spend alot of time with them.Training,obedience.

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 12:13 PM
Which breed would you recommend getting first, the golden or the husky?

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
Can I ask why it is you want to get a golden and a husky in particular?

If I were you, I'd go with whatever the dogs personality is...not specifically a breed.

It's better to get a dog from a rescue then a breeder. There are many reputable rescues that have wonderful dogs to adopt.

www.petfinder.com

:D

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 12:21 PM
We have owned them in the past and want them again. I'm asking peoples opinions because we want to make sure we are doing the best thing for us as well as the dogs.

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
What you also need to ask yourself is do I have the time.Will the pup be alone 8-10 hours?Will it be crated for that time?Will someone come in to let the pup out to play,exercise and feed it during say lunch time?Just some things to consider.

As for my sisters dogs,forgot to mention she is on a farm....So they get tons of exercise.They get to run around..... :D

Are you considering adopting?

Luba posted a great site... :)

4pm
May 21st, 2004, 01:54 PM
The 2 huskies I had previously were adopted.

Heather MH
May 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM
I'm going to go against the experts !!! Just kidding I also agree with everything they said but.... My boyfriend and I let our hearts not our heads lead us 7 months ago when we brought home 2 very cute border collies puppies. And don't get me wrong I know we are not even close to being finished teaching them all they need to know. I just wanted to share my personal experience.
In all honesty i would not have taken just one if I could have looked down the road. We do not have children so they are our children. We can devote all our time to them and trust me we do have to. Luba you said so many good points things that we obviously didn't think of when we got them. Firstly training for a while (and still now sometimes) they were "puppies" not "Daisy" and "Chevy". It was puppies come, puppies sit, ect...we have now realized that they are seperate and we have to make sure they know that. They have to have seperate training, lots of time apart and understand seperate commands. And that was one of the hardest things to do. They determine what we do, they are highly active and if we even think of not going to the park everyday they make sure we regret it. Don't get me wrong these two dogs are two if the best behaved dogs I have met. It blows me away how intelligent they are. Anyway i'm just being a pround mom blabbing on... My point is I know eveyone says not to get two at once but it can be done, if its what you really want. I find a great reasurrance knowing that when we are not home they are not as lonely because they are together. It takes all your time and more then all your patience but I wouldn't change our decision as rash as it was at the time for anything.
Good Luck with what you decide. :D

heidiho
May 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Ok,I have a question,everyone always talks about how to make sure you get a dog from a good breeder and how important that is,but my question is everyone here talks about these humane society places and to find a dog there,and i agree people should,but how do you know if that will turn out to be a bad dog giving you dont know there parents or there whole backround????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 04:44 PM
VERY good question..... :D

When we talk about adopting dogs it's because we want people to save them from being put to sleep.And yes,there are dogs that get adopted that have problems.Alot with health.And no,no one really knows about the backround as in parents.These poor souls were abused,or not properly trained.People just didn't give a damn about them.And many people who adopt them know their history.They give them the love they need to help them through all this.And in the end,the dog is very loyal,loving and trusting to the family.We would rather see people adopting then buying while these poor animals are being put down....And for people who want a purebred dog,there are many rescues for purebreds.Pups to adults.

If anything was to happen to my babies,I would definately be rescuing.

We were at the SPCA the other day,dropping of news papers,and we went looking at the dogs and cats.There was a beautiful 2 year old Purebred GSD,Hero..He was brought in because the owners were moving.Hubby had to pull me away.I wanted him so bad.But I know I couldn't get him..2 dogs and 2 kittens are enough.And both my kittens where adopted...

I hope what I said made sense...I'm also blonde.....LOL.

I'm sure others will explain it better..... :D

heidiho
May 21st, 2004, 04:48 PM
lol!! That was a good answer....And i do agree those poor guys,i would take them all if i could..Was watching animal precint last night how unbelievable what people do to their pets.i would kill them if i that job..

skating
July 3rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Hello

I've been reading some of the previously posted answers. I agree that two puppies at once would be an incredible amount of work! And the fact that training them would be a lot more difficult is a good point as well.

In my opinion, if you enjoy puppy hood, get the puppies a year and a half to two years apart. Then, the older dog will be out of the "puppy" stage and you get to enjoy puppy hood again. This is what we did. Both of the dogs have separate identities but they are the best of friends. They get along incredibly well (they are the same breed) and are always lying together and playing together. But that doesn't stop them from wanting our attention!

Also, if one of the breeds you are interested in is more of a dominant, aggressive dog, I would suggest getting this dog first. Most dogs are welcoming to puppies, even if they are not to older dogs, as long as the puppies don't get attention at the dog's expense! That way, the dominance issue would be established when the puppy is little enough that fights should not break out.

Spoiled
July 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
These poor souls were abused,or not properly trained.

That is sometimes true, but there are a lot more reasons: moving, alergies, dumped, etc. Just thought I'd make it clear.

4pm, I suggest that you get a male and female dog. That way there likely won't be as many fights. The females tend to be more aggressive when they fight, to.

Ticyo
July 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Hi 4pm,

We have raised 2 Bernese Mountain Dog pups (but Female and Male) and this was no problem, lots of work but it was worth it :) !

And then a few years later we moved to a different country and couldn't take our dogs :( . We really missed having dogs and decided to get 2 Siberian Husky pups (Female and Male) also this went really well.

Later on I had many dogs (greek strays) that I took care of and all of them knew their place in the "group". So I think that it's not really as they say "2 females isn't good together". I think it differs from dog to dog. They all have a different personality after all... :) But I know that female-male has worked out really well :) !

But Im not an expert... So Good luck with your decision :) !