Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy does not let us know when she needs to "potty"

Newbee16
September 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
We have a 9-week old vizsla puppy. She is very good at going potty outside, but unless we are highly observant, she does not bark or give us a sign that she needs to go out and as a result, she has had a couple of little accidents. We have been consistent at taking her out often. Unfortunately, today she pooped in house, but what was confusing to us was that she had already pooped outside prior to this. We are still staying on top of taking her out often, but can you please advise us as to how we can get her to bark or let us know when she needs to go. Our living room is upstairs, ie, she needs to go downstairs in order to go to the door. She doesn't hover at the door either (now that would be great eh!!)

Appreciate any advice you can share.

mummummum
September 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM
She's only 9 weeks old ~ SHE doesn't know she needs to go potty until right before she goes. It takes time for her bladder and bowel to mature enough so that she recognizes the signals well in advance before it becomes URGENT. Until then you need to continue on with your consistent schedule as well as watching for the very subtle signs that she needs to go. And, you should also continue to heap praise on her for doing her bizness outside. Don't worry ~ it will come in time!

Newbee16
September 15th, 2007, 08:21 PM
thanks Mum+ for the advice and reassurance that this will come in time... we thought we were doing something wrong... perseverence and patience... is the key:thumbs up

Purpledomino
September 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Nine weeks is much to early to be expecting any kind of progress. Have you considered crate training? Also, hanging a bell on the doorknob was helpful with one of mine. Every time we went to do doggy business outside, the bell would ring when the door opened/closed, and eventually she would ring the bell herself to go out. It worked like a charm. I wanna see pictures of your baby.... I LOVE Vizslas! :lovestruck:

~michelle~
September 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I agree she only 9 weeks she doesnt have much warning to herself and she doesnt know shes supposed to tell you....it will all take time and training! dont worry your not doing anything wrong!

Newbee16
September 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, we are crate training her and she's been excellent with that.

With being a first-time puppy owner, we're only beginning to realize that, even though most dogs can be smart... the learning process doesn't happen in a week or two. We're also coming across other 'habits' now that she's doing consistently, ie, jumping/lunging, barking a lot... but we're not sure when it stops being a puppy thing and becomes a habit that must be 'trained not to'.

Can you recommend a good book to read that could help us? I can honestly say, I never knew it was going to be this much work... but I believe it's going to be worth it in the end!:fingerscr

Newbee16
September 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Purpledomino... I would love to have a pic of her up on my profile but I don't seem to be able to upload it - not computer savvy here!:o

Riluke
September 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I have a 5 month old puppy that still has the occassional accident. It's a puppy thing, just keep doing what you are doing and you will find there will be less and less acciddents. Try the bell thing, my puppy still doesn't tell me when he needs to go out, sometimes he whines if he has to poop but most of the time it is just keeping consious of when he was last let out.

Puppy school is a good way to start your puppy learning. It is not yet 'obedience' training, but it is a starting point and we have sit down to a science :D. I don't think it is ever too early to start teaching them not to jump up, they may not get it right away but as with anything persitance, time and love pay off.

I read a lot of puppy books when I got started and most of them pretty much said the same thing - "how to raise a puppy you can live with" was pretty good. Keeping in mind that I am a first time puppy person myself and am by no means experienced in dog training.