Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh My Lord do your Pet Shops still sell dogs and cats??!!

mizzlittle
May 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Okay when I was about 6yrs old I can remember going shopping with my parents and standing outside the pet shop looking in at the dogs all bundled in a cage looking hopeful wanting someone to come and take them... I looked on and not like a normal kid wanting to buy one but thinking of a way of how to get them out and get them way from such a small cage without getting in trouble with my mother! That was a long time ago and now if you go to a pet store in Ireland you will only see guinea pigs and hamsters, birds and fish in pet stores... most don't even have rabbits anymore as its been looked on as cruel they way they are housed!

I read another thread here and it seems that pet stores in Canada and the US still sell them in these stores!? Is this true???

kasher+tazz
May 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM
They still have them in the uk - you can buy a kitten from one of the stalls in our loal market :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Also there is a big pet shop called 'living world' which is the wrong name for it. Anyway they kept getting the liscence taken off them for cruelty to animals and then getting someone else to take the buisiness over to sell animals again. They sell puppies kittens all kinds of reptiles etc its disgusting. England is way behind on tackling animal cruelty. :( :(

Princesss04
May 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
Her in IN, USA you can still buy a pet in some pet shops there are alot of them that you can not buy anything outside of fish, birds, hamster, other rodents, and small repitals and snakes. But, there are still some that you can buy bigger animals from as well. I guess that old song still is true, "How much is that doggie in the window" it should not be allowed to keep a pet like that. Some of them will stay there forever two. We were in a store the other day that had this GS dog and they said that they had him since he was a pup and he was three years old now so he had been in that store all of his life. It was all I could do to bite my tongue. It is so sad the way some animals are treated. :mad:

Goldenmom
May 21st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Yes, here in Kitchener-Waterloo they do!!!!!!!!! Makes me sick!! I even know people who bought from them. They wouldn't listen to me.

Heather

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately it is all true.... :(

Mind you none of the ones here keep them for years,the ones here that is...

I do go into them.BUT only to educate the people who are looking to buy them.My daughter HATES coming in with me.......LOL

I can never keep my mouth shut when I go in..... :D

Not to long ago there was a beautiful Collie Pup(sorry Luba)..She was about 4 months old and had no room to move around.... :(
When I go in,I go straight to the pups.Everyone is looking at them.I turn around and ask people if they know what a puppy mill is.Some say yes.Then I inform them that these are where they come from.And for those who don't,I tell them to do a search on the net under puppy mills and for them to decide if they still want to buy one from there.Then I tell them to check out our local SPCA and check out the sad faces there.

There was a litter of 5 JRT's.Way to young to be taken away from mom..There little tiny paws were going through the metal grid they were made to walk on...It was disgusting...Oh trust me,I raised a stink about it.... :D

And the kittens in there.OMG,they look awfull..Even my daughter noticed it.

Our pet store tries to sell them as Hybred Puppies...Which they say they have local breeders who sell them to the pet store.

And they sell them for a very high price....One well known pet store in Toront was selling a Shepherd/Collie mix for like $899.

A ban should be put on pet stores from selling pups/kittens.

I just can't keep my mouth shut when I go in there... :D :D

Lucky Rescue
May 21st, 2004, 10:17 AM
All the pet stores in Quebec sell puppies and kittens. Puppy mills are a huge and thriving business here and there is no end in sight, since there are no laws against it.

In fact, the government makes money from the mills, as pet store puppies are taxed like any other merchandise. :mad:

MBRA518
May 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM
And they sell them for a very high price....One well known pet store in Toront was selling a Shepherd/Collie mix for like $899.

A ban should be put on pet stores from selling pups/kittens.

I just can't keep my mouth shut when I go in there... :D :D

Yup there is one in Oshawa that sells pups and kittens - mind the cages are about as good as they get - on the larger size with a little room to move and play and solid bottoms - but I still feel sorry for them. And the prices are crazy - last time I was there they had an unreg. Pug for $1100 :eek:

Crazy!

Bill & Bob
May 21st, 2004, 12:42 PM
Some of the pet stores in Van sell purebred puppies. Usually of the smaller breeds. Fluff dogs.

However, there are a few of the Petcetera stores here in Vancouver that have contracted with the SPCA to have a few shelter dogs in the store. They have a place where you can take your dog in for a bath, and right next door they have a room for two dogs and about eight cats. Poor cats are in the same room as the barking dogs, which I'm sure causes some stress.

That's where I got Big Bob from. Funny, but once I had his paperwork done, we went out of the shelter room and right into pet heaven. Bob got his leashes, collars, brushes, pet toys, FOOD, etc. right there.

Great idea. Bob wasn't too keen on going back to the store for a while though. I think he thought he was going back to stay. That anxiety is over with now though.

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 01:03 PM
We have that here to Bill.

Our SPCA does the same.They have a few of the cats and dogs go there for the adoptions...And I think it is a great idea.... :D

cmt489
May 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM
We recently had a pet store open up very close to me that sells animals. Oddly ( :D ) their business does not seem to be doing that well. Seems that most of the owners around here have their pets as child substitutes (WHAT - don't look at me just because my kids don't always need a baby sitter even though they are only 5 and 10 months :p ) and almost everyone I know boycotts that store. The natural pet food stores that do not sell anything that walks or crawls do so much better around where I live (and oh yeah Luba, they all sell lots of poop bags - LOL!!) I actually have a friend that has been banned from there - hmmmm, wonder why.... :rolleyes:

There are some people that buy things there (unfortuately, including animals) but I expect (hope) to see them going out of business soon or completely redoing their business platform.

Michelle, proud mom of Nadia and Oliver (hey, do you think I can declare them as dependents on next year's tax return??)

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 01:41 PM
Yes there are some unfortunately.

However some municipalities, such as Durham Region in Ontario now have a bylaw that the owners of these shops must abide by.

They must show proof of where they got the pup/kitten, that it has received veterinary care and that it has no known diseases.

This sparked some shops to move, westward into the Toronto region....so they may still sell w/o being harassed by bylaw officers.

It's disgusting!

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 02:48 PM
I still think there should be a ban on them being sold in pet stores.My heart breaks everytime I see them in there..... :(

mizzlittle
May 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
Ireland has uncovered much to all our horror here hundreds of puppy farms! The SPCAs of all the respective counties are working together and cracking down on them and homing all the poor puppies that are coming out of there distraught and in a very bad way!

It turns out that Ireland has become a hotbed for these puppymills they are shipping them out of the country though so that is why it took so long to discover (well that makes sense! :rolleyes: )

chico2
May 21st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Here in Oakville Ontario,there is no pet-shop that I know of, selling dogs/cats,there used to be,but constant harassing by vets and Humane Society and the public made them go out of business.
Pet-Smart and Petcetra do have an enclosure with rescue animals for adoption and I think that is great :D
I believe most people are getting smarter and more aware and would shy away from pets sold that way.
Now,if we could only make it against the law,it would be great!!!

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Anita,there are about 3 here that sell pups/kittens.One is in Limeridge Mall...That's the one I do my educating in...... :D ....And it is filled with people in there looking at the pups/kittens.

I want to get a sticker made and plant it right on one of the glass parts saying "these puppies come from puppy mills"........... :D

chico2
May 21st, 2004, 04:07 PM
Yes Mona,it's soo sad...keep up the good work!!!
I remember a pet-shop at our local Mall(got Chico from there,but he was just so unhappy and lonely,had to take him home)the prices they charged for the puppies were incredible and they were kept in small cages until Humane Society intervened and they were soon out of business.
What about HS in Hamilton,why do they allow this to go on?I thought ALL HS's had the same rules and regulations,but after what Lucky told me about Montreal,it's obviously not the case..I am sooo naive sometimes :o

mona_b
May 21st, 2004, 04:14 PM
Oh that I will.Even if Kyra refuses to come in with me....... :D

I will definately be having a talk with the SPCA about it.And see what can be done about it.

KellyNZaq
May 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM
There's only one shop in London (that I know of) that sells kittens/puppies. Although I have heard about a few others that do as well. :mad:

doberescue
May 24th, 2004, 10:29 AM
my favorite is when they sell " purebred " shi-poo, lhasa-poo....whatever-poos for over $1000. i know some people don't know any better but it drives me up the wall.....especially when they end up in the clinic with renal failure and all sorts of other horrifing health issues.
Lucky rescue, i grew up in hudson/st.lazare, must have called the spca on one pet store in dorion a hundred times, i'm not sure they ever even checked it out. i don't know what it's like now, the last time i was there is about 8yrs ago, but have you seen how some of the animals were kept at the Lachute market?? 40 degrees and there were cages and cages of dogs piled onto eachother with no water or shade. absolutly horrifing.

mizzlittle
May 24th, 2004, 10:45 AM
This is sick and very sad what body governs these shops and hands them their licenses? Does it not class as abuse???