Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

letting a foster go

anneh
September 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I am dealing with horrible guilt about the prospect of my foster dog going to another home. He has been with me 3 months, do you think he will feel abandoned by someone he loves again? I know that has happened to him in the past. I could keep him here but he and my dog really don't get along all the time plus we really don't want to keep two dogs. The home he may go is really nice and someone is home all day. Do you think he will feel let down, I can hardly bear the thought of how he will wonder why I have left him there:cry: how will I deal with it but most of all how will he? Thanks
anneh

shirley1011
September 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I too have a rescue that looks like may get adopted by a lovely family with children in the next week or so. I have only had him two weeks now but the same thoughts go thru my mind...will he feel abandoned...I hope they don't, I hope they are loved so much they know we were just a stepping stone to their new home. :thumbs up for letting your foster dog into your heart if only for a little while and know you have made a difference in his life.

mummummum
September 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I know it's hard ~ but if it weren't for foster families who have taken dogs and cats into their hearts and their homes, polished them up with love and attention ~ many us wouldn't have OUR dogs.

Toonces
September 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
It is very hard to give up a foster I have done so several times but the updates and pics from the new parents make it so worth while and also knowing that if I kept one I would not be able to foster anymore because I already have 2 of my own. You have done a great thing by giving this dog a second chance

Frenchy
September 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
do you think he will feel abandoned by someone he loves again?

I don't think so anneh. I always tell the fosters I'm only a temp :D. When one them goes to his/her new home, I ususally get updates real fast , within 24 hours. And the new parents always have funny stories to tell , like the dog curling up to them on the couch (when this peticuliar foster never got on MY couch :p) Some of you may remember Bella (now Sheba) adopted by Sarah and Lewis , got real comfy at her new place after only a few hours .... we had pictures to proove. And what about Molly , adopted by Otter. Lots of people here have rescue dogs , I'm sure they will all tell you , the dogs knew they were going to their forever home and were real happy about it. Don't worry , ask the new parents for a phone call later in the day if you want to , you'll see, everything will be ok. :grouphug:

coppperbelle
September 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
It is difficult sometimes to let a foster go. Like Frenchy I always ask for updates soon after they leave my home. Last week Frenchy and I exchanged foster dogs. Ben couldn't manage all the stairs in my house and would have been miserable. I felt guilty passing him off to another foster home so soon after I brought him home but knew it was the best for him. Considering where he would have been if we hadn't picked him up I think switching foster homes was a minor thing. He has adjusted well and is happy as long as he is loved and cared for.

Jim Hall
September 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
It Is rough sometimes We used to foster dogs but almost always they went to wonderfull homes and had no or very few problems adjusting.

I think dogs are a littel different than cats They always seem to handle new situations better

anneh
September 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM
well the home I wanted for her fell through:sad: There was another good app but she was gone all day plus unsure about the special diet he needs. The only thing stopping me from keeping him is that he has initiated a fight with my dog a couple of times, usually jealousy. A couple of people told me it could get worse and I couldn't live with that altho in the mean time there have been no more and they play/eat/sleep together with no problems. Anyone had similar situation? He is older and smaller than my dog. My dog is young and large and friendly with dogs, the foster sometimes reacts badly to dogs he meets when I am walking him altho others he is ok with. anneh

Jim Hall
September 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
It doesnt sound like your dog had a problem with the foster anymore

I would still try to find a home for him though Com'n share the joy.

:2cents:

Frenchy
September 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Anyone had similar situation?

I did , I just pm you about it. I hope it helps :fingerscr