Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat trees / Kitty condos

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
In my continuing quest to spoil the Dynamic Duo rotten, I'm getting them a cat tree/kitty condo. I came into a little extra cash and I'd like to get them something fun.

Are they relatively stable? I'd like to get maybe a 5 or 6 foot one, but I have a fear of it tipping over.

Is a smaller one better?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome! :)

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
My husband makes ours to ensure they are sturdy. My cats prefer large ones that are 5 feet tall and they like to climb them when they are done scratching.

I would choose one that had a large base for sturdiness and try to find out if the construction is plywood or particle board. Plywood being much superior to pressed board, particle board, etc. Screwed construction is better than nails or staples.

Cats like to stretch their bodies when they scratch a post so minimum 3 feet should be OK. Wouldn't waste my money on anything smaller.

Wonder if you can order on-line, you may get a better price :shrug:.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Okay, good points.

I have seen places that sell online and have good prices, but I'd like to actually see it in person before ordering. The cat litter box concealer I got looked WAY bigger in the picture and its actually small, so I'm wary about ordering anything online like that.

I will have a look at Petco and Petsmart and pet supermarket this weekend and look to see how their made. I know the corner I'd like to put it in. They'll get a nice view out the window and I can get my dad to maybe put some braces on them.

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I understand your concern about ordering online. Never know what you are getting and I would prefer to see and feel before buying.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, I've learned my lesson. Besides, if I ordered it, I'd have to wait a week at least to have it. And I want my sweeties to have it NOW!:laughing:

krdahmer
September 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I got all of mine at Petsmart. They are relatively sturdy and I don't know about yours, but ours has big clearance sales on the cat trees once in a while, I got a really nice 6+ foot one for $100! (They had catbeds on for $5-10 too, thus why I must have about 10 of them around the house!:D) The tree has a round tube and 6 places to perch... perfect for us. Make sure there is at least some sisal rope on them as this is what kitties prefer to scratch.... I swear it has kept them away from my furniture.:thumbs up

My dad has also made a few, very nice and even stained and carpeted to match the decor, but sisal is expensive to buy so they cost about the same to make or buy... if you get them cheap enough.

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Yes, I've learned my lesson. Besides, if I ordered it, I'd have to wait a week at least to have it. And I want my sweeties to have it NOW!:laughing:

Oh, yeah, they're not spoiled or anything :rolleyes: lol.

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I swear it has kept them away from my furniture.:thumbs up

Having adequate cat stands in key places around the house has prevented my cats from scratching any of my furniture.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I got all of mine at Petsmart. They are relatively sturdy and I don't know about yours, but ours has big clearance sales on the cat trees once in a while, I got a really nice 6+ foot one for $100! (They had catbeds on for $5-10 too, thus why I must have about 10 of them around the house!:D) The tree has a round tube and 6 places to perch... perfect for us. Make sure there is at least some sisal rope on them as this is what kitties prefer to scratch.... I swear it has kept them away from my furniture.:thumbs up

My dad has also made a few, very nice and even stained and carpeted to match the decor, but sisal is expensive to buy so they cost about the same to make or buy... if you get them cheap enough.

Wow, $100 is a great price! I'll make Petsmart my first stop then. That way I can work my way down. And I really do need to get them something better to scratch at. I have one of those cardboard scratchers and one that hangs from the doorknob that's like carpet. They aren't too interested in it.

And beds? I bought Oksana a pink bed, because she really didn't have one of her own. Well guess who has laid claim to that!

He doesn't even fit on it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad/Picture030.jpg

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Oh, yeah, they're not spoiled or anything :rolleyes: lol.

Well maybe just a little. But who cares right? They're my little sweeties.:lovestruck:

Dracko
September 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I bought this one at PetLand a while ago for $150. The cats love it and I've been looking for another now that I have five cats but the tree only has four ledges.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4516/xmas011lj0sl5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think the best thing you can do is look EVERYWHERE. And yes, some aren't very sturdy. The ones PetLand has right now are the ones that come in a box and you put together yourself. They suck. The one in the picture came in one piece and is built very sturdy. Never moves when the cats run up it or threatens to knock over as the base is very big.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM
That one looks cool. That's my fear about ordering online. I can only imagine it would come in pieces, and I've had smaller things like this that are not sturdy at all. I'd rather have something like this, already built and tough.

Kristin7
September 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM
My advice, get one you can look at in person - I ordered one online and don't really like it much. If it had been easy to send back, I would have. That said, my cats love having something to climb... Some are sturdy, some are not, and it is hard to tell unless you are right there in front of it and can touch it. Try and push it over and see how easy or hard it is. And yes, I did have to put mine together, which was a pain. Hope your cats have fun on their new tree!

krdahmer
September 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
:DOMG... Vlad in that little bed is too cute!!! Buddy does the same thing and so does Fagan, they seem to prefer the beds that they have to squeeze into and hang over!! :laughing: Maybe it makes them feel bigger!

And I was just thinking, the first cat tree I got at Petsmart is 5.5 years old now and still kicking. It gets used so much I had to hide it in my room as some wood is showing through now. That was a great investment. I have it by the window and there is always someone in it at all times....I definitely got my money's worth. And also if you get one that has a sturdy frame, when it gets used you can always just re-carpet it and replace the rope, so they should last years and years. (me and my dad talked about doing the old one soon.)

I would definitely check them out in person and get one that is already fully assembled.

kashtin's kin
September 15th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Wow, I LOVE :lovestruck: the huge cat tree with those curved ledges; I would like a human-sized one...with a 'cone' at the bottom so the critters CAN'T get up. Then, DH and I would have some sanctuary ;) , as the "inmates" have definitely taken over the "asylum" here at CASA CRITTER i.e. I have to book days in advance just to sit on the couch (don't even bother to wait for the Lazy Boy-hah!). :D

p.s. we have 5 indoor cats and 2 dogs; there are 6 designated cat nests/beds and 4 dog beds in the kitchen alone...and somehow I STILL can't find a place to sit down (well, one with any padding!)!

ancientgirl
September 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I saw one I really liked at Petco yesterday. It had a wide base, and the wood was plywood. It was a good price and weighed a ton! I'm going to have a look at Petsmart and Pet supermarket later today, but now I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to get the thing home!

I might have to call my brother to see if he's not busy so he can come and help me.

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice. Now I know what to look for and I feel more comfortable getting them something tall. I really can't wait to bring something home for them.

ancientgirl
September 15th, 2007, 09:01 AM
:DOMG... Vlad in that little bed is too cute!!! Buddy does the same thing and so does Fagan, they seem to prefer the beds that they have to squeeze into and hang over!! :laughing: Maybe it makes them feel bigger!

Then he must feel like regular lion in that thing! He's already twice Oksana's size :laughing:

krdahmer
September 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
:laughing: You should have seen me bring home my 6+footer, I managed to shove it into my car! I had to put down the passenger seat and manouver it in through the back door but was so proud of myself for not having to call someone. If you are getting a big one, I do suggest getting someone with a van or truck though... I must have spent 45 minutes in the parking lot trying to figure out how to get it in AND get all the doors closed!:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
September 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I just bought one home. It's about 6 feet high, and its got one little hut at the bottom, two little platforms going to the top, and the top is a round area.

I need to get a picture of them in it. I managed to fit it in my little Eclipse. LOL. I'd called my brother to see if he could meet me at home to help me get it up, but I wound up getting it up myself. It wasn't too heavy.

The Dynamic Duo don't quite know what to make of it. They've investigated but not much. I figure it'll take them a bit to figure out what they can do there.

But I'll tell you one thing, I better see them on that thing because it wasn't cheap!

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
:laughing::laughing:

Stick some catnip on it ;) It works!

My two couldn't figure out what to do with the fat scratching post/tree I'd had. They'd just sort of looked at it at first and would only run through the tube as they chased each other. They finally figured out that its made for scratching and sleeping on. Then they fought over who got to sleep on the top >.<

Unfortunately, we don't really have space for one in here, though I'm wondering if we move a few things in my bedroom.........

Megan

ancientgirl
September 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Oksana finally got up to the top. Of course once Vlad saw her up there he immediately wanted that spot.

So at least now they know what to do with it.

Love4himies
September 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Now we need to see some pics with them on it:D

ancientgirl
September 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I took some but since my USB is broken on my PC, I had to save the pictures on my laptop and make a CD. Well the CD didn't record anything, it erased my pictures from my camera and now my blank CD is stuck in my PC's drive.

LOL, sheesh!

I'll post some pictures soon.

Oksana is now sleeping on the top tier and Vlad is sleeping on the new bed I bought her!!!!

That kitty is so bad! I got both of them new beds and he's not even looked at the bigger one I got him. *sigh*

Those kitties are going to drive me nuts. Oh wait, they've already done that!:laughing:

Dracko
September 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
But I'll tell you one thing, I better see them on that thing because it wasn't cheap!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sounds like me when I bought Dracko a Cuz and he wouldn't touch it. (He finally has.)

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Oksana spent most of the night sleeping on top of the tree. Vlad is on it now, he scooted her off of it. I'd seen another one I liked a lot at Petsmart. But it really was just too big to fit in my car and my brother's wife, who has the SUV, is out of town until late this evening. I think I'll get that one too at the end of the month, that way when one is on one, then the other one can play on the other tree. I hate to see him chasing her away.

I'll have two trees so that should be enough to occupy them and keep them happy for a while. And I've been thinking of adopting another kitty so it will come in handy.

want4rain
September 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I think I'll get that one too at the end of the month, that way when one is on one, then the other one can play on the other tree. I hate to see him chasing her away.

LOL not to discourage you from getting the second one... cause i think you can never have enough Kitty Condos if you still have room to walk.... BUT wait for the tables to turn, Oksana will have her moment. :laughing:

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
She does get him now and then, but I can't see her every really getting the upper hand on him too much. In the evenings, she likes to lunge at him, and she winds up pushing him out of his bed, but I can tell he's letting her push him around, which I see as kind of cute.

I'm going to try and post some pictures tomorrow.

CyberKitten
September 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I was never totally happy with the ones I saw at the store so my dad built me one. I have two and it works out well but I also have FOUR cats!

Here is one pict

I hope another one helps but she'll probably come around even sans an etra cat tree.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
That one is pretty neat looking.

I just feel bad because she's the one that actually was brave enough to investigate it all first. Then he shoved her off. I feel sad for her because it makes me think of a little kid on the playground that the other kids won't let him play on anything.

Love4himies
September 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Two cats, two cat stands, that sounds fair. We like one in our bedroom and the other in the living room so the cats are in the same room as we are and it is handy for them to scratch/relax.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I saw some shorter ones I'd like for my room. Up there there though, they're either lounging in the closet or on my bed, I mean OUR bed :laughing:

alli-oop
September 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I have one, its only 2 level..or 3 if you count the base. She won't go on he top though, just refuses it unless I put her on it. It has a hammock too, like a cat is ever gonna use a hammock.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
She does get him now and then, but I can't see her every really getting the upper hand on him too much. In the evenings, she likes to lunge at him, and she winds up pushing him out of his bed, but I can tell he's letting her push him around, which I see as kind of cute.

I'm going to try and post some pictures tomorrow.

I have always found in a male-female cat relationship, the female always seem to "rule the roost". The males just seem to give in, maybe it's easier for them :shrug:. My Snowball (RIP) ( male) used to do all the hunting and bring back his prey live for Puddles (female) to play with. She was ruler of the lazyboy chair and all the cat stands even though he was five years when we adopted her at 12 weeks old. Now Puddles rules Jasper (male), she is 8 lbs and he is 14 lbs. Maybe it's their pretty faces that males fall for?

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I just don't see that happening with my two. I had Vlad first, and he was the king of the castle almost 2 months before Oksana came into the picture. He outweighs her by about 5 pounds right now. She's 6 months old and he's 7. I'm guessing the dynamic of their relationship isn't going to change much, at least I don't see that happening for now.