Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is depressed???

beckiandthetrio
September 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi all--

This is my first time posting here so bare with me please. A little background on us:) My name is Becki, I live alone with three cats. Panda and Zoey are siblings and are about 4years old. Janie(my baby) is about 2years old.

My problem is with Janie. Since Sunday evening she hasnt been acting right?? Its in my gut that something is wrong with her but cant pin point it. She seems to be sleeping alot, not eating much, and just a general lethargic mood. I took her to the vet yesterday for a work up in which they found nothing except a gassy belly. Lab work was all normal, no temp, not dehydrated. After I got all the info from the vet I started to think of other things besides physical diagnosis's.

Could she be depressed? Ive never had a cat that acted like this before and so Im not so sure as to what I should expect or think? Im just wondering if anyone else here has had an expierence similar to mine and what you did about it?

Any suggestions would be very much welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Becki and Janie

Eddited to add: There has been no changes in her enviornment to bring on this behavior either.

crazydays
September 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Becki and the trio!
First of all, wellcome to the forum. There are alot of cat people here who would love to see pictures of the Trio.

My instinct tells me that your cat is not depressed. I am not a Vet so anything I say is speculation from my experience. The fact that there was this major change in your 2yr old suddenly, makes me think there is something physical that hasn't been sorted out yet. What has the Vet said to you about things since all the tests came back negative? Is there a plan for follow-up?

Jim Hall
September 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
not depressed but bored maybe?

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Hi Becki, I would agree with crazydays as this came on suddenly, I would suspect a physical reason. Was there any blood work done to determine an infection of some kind?

I would try to entice her to eat her favourite food and keep her hydraded (sp?) with water. If she is still not eating by tomorrow, I would have her back to the vet.

Keep us posted and I would love to see some pictures of your trio!

beckiandthetrio
September 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I will try and get some pics of them up here soon once i figure out how.

As for Janie she seems to be doing better. She is eating and is more active. I got some new toys last night after work and they all seemed to enjoy that. I did have blood work done at the vet and everything came back normal?? She told me to come back this coming week if things hadnt improved. Hopefully whatever it was is better. Too bad they cant talk to us huh?? :) The cats I mean.

Becki