Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oksana's appointment went well

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
So the vet said her heart and lungs sounded perfect. She told me that it very well could be taking her a while to get out a hairball. She gave me something to help get it out, so I'll be giving her something called Laxatone daily for the next 4 days. The vet also told me to definitely keep her away from the seafood because that might have something to do with the itching. As for raw food, she told me that while she feeds her cat both dry and canned, I should do what I feel most comfortable. She said she's read pro's and con's.

I'll have to keep doing my research, but at least I know the seafood might have been the culprit for the itching.

Right now she's playing hard to get. Vlad keeps trying to play with her but she keeps running from him. She seems to do this whenever they either go to the vet together or its just one that went. Not sure why that is but she'll get over it. Poor little guy, he keeps giving me this sad meow like "Mom, she won't play with me!"

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Well I must say your Vet's reaction to a raw diet is a pleasant surprize.

Is the Laxatone something you give her daily forever and ever or only when she starts to hack for four days at a time? Is it meant to break up the hairball or ??

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah, she's pretty cool.

The Laxatone I have to give her daily twice a day for 3 or 4 days. Then I can give it to her and Vlad once a week as a preventive measure.

Vlad has never shown signs of a hairball problem, but I'd like to start giving it to him as prevention.

The vet told me she would either hack the hairball up or it would go out the other way. I have to call her back in about a week, so hopefully by then she'll have given me a nice furry icky surprise.

Jim Hall
September 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
o good preventive i have found for hairballs is a teasponn or so of olive oil

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Oksana also likes to lick that coconut oil I got.

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that she checked out well at the vet! :thumbs up I love happy endings to vet visits. :D

If I thought it would help, I'd use that laxatone in my hallways. I haven't been able to vacuum for a few days and the halls are choked with hairballs! :rolleyes: :o You dare not walk in stocking feet down hazel's halls! :laughing:

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
LOL, hairball forest?

krdahmer
September 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
:thumbs up Way to go Oksana... Glad the vet visit went well. I give a couple of mine one of those hairball remedies in a tube when they have one they work on for a few days. Only 1 or 2 out of the six throw them up regularly. I have cat grass out too, and they seem to like to eat that.

And here we call those Tumblefurs... like big furry tumbleweeds rolling down the hall in between vacuum days!:laughing:

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'd like to try and grow some cat grass for them. Well, TRY is the key word. I can't even keep a cactus alive. I just need to try to keep them away from it while its growing.

I'm hoping that the laxatone helps her get it out. She seems to like the taste which is good. I'd bought them one not long ago and she wouldn't go near it. Vlad on the other hand will eat almost anything you put in front of him! LOL. I said that to the vet and she said, "That's why my boy weighs almost 10 pounds!"

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
So glad the visit went well. :thumbs up

I am not able to keep cat grass for long periods of time. It seems to turn yellow and gets very shaggy after about a week of the cats chewing on it. It only costs a couple of dollars here in Canada so getting one every couple of weeks in the winter is not too bad financially. Keeps their digestive system clean.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
It's not to expensive here either. I might look to see if there are ready made ones. I know I've seen packages that already have grass, and if it lasts a couple of weeks, I can easily just get a new one whenever I get food or litter.