Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bessie's mom
September 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I started searching this web sight for information from other aging collie owners. I have had Bess for 10 years. She was rescued from a local pet store that did not know how to recognize red mange. We had a rough 2 years getting this under control. She is now a beautiful full coated collie unlike when we bought her when she was almost bald. She has a problem now with arthritis. Are there any other rough coat collie owners out there with like problems? Behavior wise she was the most easily trained dog I've ever owned. She has a little 5 year old brother daschund that she is very patient with. Look forward to hearing from other owners

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Welcome to pets.ca !! From your description she sounds like a wonderful grrrrl ~ has anyone bugged you for pix yet ? No? Allow me to be the first then! :D

I'm open to being wrong but arthritis is arthritis...isn't it? I have an (approx.) 10 year old Border Collie-Newf who is starting to show his age with trouble getting up and reluctance to jump up on the bed. I also have a Belgian-Golden-Bernese who has dysplasia but also likely has arthritis in her hips and knees (she has had two TPLO's following ACL ruptures).

Are you using any supplements?

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Hi, bessie's mom! Welcome to the forum!

I'll second MMM's request for pictures of your beautiful Girl! :D

We use Cosequin DS (glucosamine/chondroitin supplement) for orthopedic/arthritis-related issues in our English Setters. We've had very good success with it. :thumbs up