Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yorkie pregnancy

La Gringa
September 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi - Im so glad I found this site. I live deep in the 3rd world and think my Yorkie, Delilah is about 4-1/2 weeks pregnant. The vet here won't say. Deli has had a clear vaginal discharge for about 2 weeks, and the vet says it is probably due to hormonal changes and nothing to worry about. I still worry!She is 1-1/2 years old and this is her first try at motherhood.
:shrug:
Does anyone out there have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks so much.

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
La Gringa,I have no experience at all with pregnant dogs,but certainly a vet must be able to tell.
I think the biggest problem is,you don't know who the father is and your little girl could be in big trouble with bigger pups,either way,she'd probably need surgery to have her babies:sad:
Please try to get her spayed as soon as possible,even if you are living in Mexico.:pray:

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Pregnancy can be determined at approx. 3 weeks by physical exam of your dog's belly. If your Vet is uncertain, you could have an ultrasound done.

But, I urge you to consider having your dog spayed NOW. Dogs do not experience the "joy of motherhood". Mating, pregnancy and giving birth is a risky business that should be left up to professional breeders. birthing and raising puppies to an age where they can be sold is a very expensive proposition. There are tens of thousands of unwanted dogs who are killed daily because shelters and rescues are at maximum capacity. I'm sure that is not what you want want for these puppies ~ please speak with your vet about spaying your Yorkie now.