Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not happy with lazy neighbors

Tazette
September 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM
DH and I were walking home the other day and noticed the neighbors across the alley from us had thrown alot of his dog poop into the alley. Of course we didn't see him do it, but it's kind of obvious when it's just on the other side of his fence. I like our neighbors and absolutely loveee their 2 dogs, but there's alot to be desired with their owners cleanliness.

In the spring time they had so much poop and garbage in their yard from over the winter it started to smell when it was melting, some of which was buldging out of the fence. A few of us in the neighborhood called the by-law to have a few words with them, but we never heard if this was done. They also have a spot between their shed and deck where they sometimes pile their dog poop, because of this, the neighbor beside them had to stack large rocks and a board up to prevent their pooch from sticking her snout between the fence to get at the poop. Their poor pooches obviously didn't like the state of their yard, as there was a period of time when they were literally climbing the fence to escape the "sty" they were forced to live in. (sorry just my opinion, I'm getting sick laziness)

The by-law are aware that the dog poop in the alley appears as though it has been thrown from their yard, but their hands are tied unless we see this being done. The husband is at home in the daytime, so it won't be likely that I will catch him in the act, but DH on the othe hand may, as he had odd shifts and is sometimes home in the day. We've made the neighbors aware, as it's not nice to step in it when you're walking your dog down the alley.

What I don't understand is, they've gone through the trouble of throwing the dog poop into the alley, why couldn't they have just thrown it in a garbage bag and disposed of it??? I guess that would entail actually getting off your butt and going to the waste facility to dispose of it properly, the alley is just much too easy! :wall:

badger
September 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Video doesn't lie. If you know a reliable teenager who would discretely stake out the scene of the crime and get some footage, even better.

Longblades
September 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
It may be petty and childish and don't get caught but sometimes you just have to approach people on their own level. Throw it back. Or what about the burning bag on the front doorstep and the nicky, nicky nine doors, ring and run away?

No kidding, my good friend let her small dog poop all over the neighbourhood but was incensed when someone put a bag of his poop on her doorstep. It was only then that she got the message. No one could tell her, she had to learn first hand.

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I agree, you should put the poop in a nice box, wrap it up and put it on their doorstep.

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
This is a how-to site for an inexpensive and easy means to compost dog poop.
http://www.plantea.com/dog-waste-compost.htm

A win-win situation for you, your neighbour and the planet!

Longblades
September 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I agree, composting is the best way to go but you will find lots of controversy on whether you should put dog poop in or not. We compost our one dog's poop but I would be just as leery of someone else's dog poop as I am of someone else's yard waste. You don't know what's in it. Is the dog healthy and not on any medications?

rainbow
September 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
This is a how-to site for an inexpensive and easy means to compost dog poop.
http://www.plantea.com/dog-waste-compost.htm

A win-win situation for you, your neighbour and the planet!

That is an excellent idea. Thanks for posting the info. :thumbs up

krdahmer
September 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
That's brilliant! I wonder if that would work with cat poo/pee too, if you were using something like swwheat litter.... it's flushable and boasts biodegradable.:confused::shrug: That would be fabulous.... half the weight of our garbage here is cat litter(I was flushing it for a while but it's just too much and wastes a lot of water as sometimes with the six, even twice a day it can take 3-4 flushes to get it all down) ! I'd love to be able to be more eco-friendly in my disposal habits. I'll keep that in mind for when we do finally get a dog for sure though.

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Poop is poop krdahmer! And is your litter completely biodegrades there's no reason why you couldn't put it in as well. Just think of how beautiful your flowers will be :thumbs up

krdahmer
September 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Ya maybe that would give my flowers a fighting chance! (me and my black thumbs managed to kill all but one plant I had this year!!!:rolleyes:) We are renting here, so I may wait till its our own yard though.... or heck maybe not, maybe that would encourage the next renter to do the same! :highfive: My only concern is what if I can fill the bin before it starts to degrade? I'm picturing a mine field of these things in the backyard with all the poop I have to scoop around here!!! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
September 17th, 2007, 11:20 PM
The manufacture of the pine litter I use (Feline Fresh) states the pine sawdust you get as a result of urine deposits can be used in the compost but they do mention not to use it if you are using the compost for veggie gardens/food sources ie fruit trees. They mention to scoop the poop out before using as compost most likely because of the toxoplasmosis that is always present in cat poop - they also mention not to flush cat poop because the toxoplasmosis has been affecting sea otters in the oceans after the waste water if cleaned & flushed out to sea. Alot of cats will do they business in the soft fresh dirt of a veggie garden anyways without you knowing :shrug: but maybe it would be fine aslong as you use the proper amounts of other ingredients ie greens, dirt, water, sun, air etc especially considering people buy manure for compost.