Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leo + foreign objects = vet visits

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
:wall::wall::sad::cry::cry:

In a certain kitty's of mine's infinite wisdom has decided to eat something he shouldn't. We aren't sure yet what it is, he's in for X-rays right now.

*sigh*

So yesterday morning, I wake up to "presents" from a cat in various places. I dutifully clean them up (after dad stepped in one, oopsy :o) and figured that they were likely mad at me for leaving them all day long alone (they've never really been alone for 10 hours before...mom and dad were gone to work and so was I). I figure I'll do all this wonderful washing stuff later (after work) since I didn't have time in the morning. 1/2 hour later, after gulping down a ton of food, Leo vomits; it's clear and it looks much like regular "I ate too fast" type vomit. He was purry and cuddly and running all over the place like normal so I didn't think anything of it.

Come home from work and I'm rather half heartedly greeted at the door. The alarm bells start to go off. Leo vomits another two times about a 1/2 hour later. It's starting to get pinkish. :confused: Alright, scary but we'll sit on it for a bit. Noticed he was rather rather quiet. So I'm starting to get scared. Sat on it through supper when he starts to vomit MORE and its getting darker pink. Can't tell if its blood or not though; maybe he'd eaten something with red dye in it? Call up the vet and she says I COULD bring him in tomorrow. Ok, so I figured if it got WORSE I'd get into the emergency vet but if it stayed the same, we're good till tomorrow.

1/2 hour after the vet closes, he vomits more; this time its much darker. One slightly panicked phone call later and a slightly calming phone talk and we bring the guy in. *pokes* *prods* *examine* *pokes more* Hmmm. Nothing is standing out and he's taking it all with rather good humour, no meows of pain, nothing. So we say fine for an X ray. Two X rays later and there's nothing showing up. Means we don't have to rush right out to surgery or something. Cool. Vet says we could likely wait till today to bring him back in. He'd perked up a lot in the office and we figured maybe her exam had moved something or whatever and so he'd be fine. Bring him home, isolate him, go to bed.

6am this morning I wake up, three piles of puke again in the bathroom. Hmmmm. Not good. Still sitting there looking dull and icky. Sitting down carefully which is much unlike him. No poops. A pee. Leo looking forlorn. Wasn't worse than the day before but meh. Follow a few more pukes and still no bathroom. Call into work and figure, well work pays the bills buuut....

So 10am this morning he finally pooped a bit, in the car, poor taxi cab driver. Not the healthiest looking or smelling (and I thought radioactive poop smelled bad!). :( More poking and prodding and still no reaction, so its not sharp or "hard" or anything.

So he's in for Barium X-rays right now. To find an object that he may have swallowed. Probably an elastic band or something....:( I really should find his stash at some point....*mild frustration*

The money.....is running out.....I fear the worst. An operation is $1000+ and we haven't got that kind of money. No credit cards, and the ones we do have are maxed. No line of credit. Without worrying about the cats, we're going to be paying off loans and things for the next 40 years. We're in rough shape.

:fingerscr:pray: its something that can be passed, even if he's miserable for a few days. :pray: we don't have to make the final decision......

Megan

Lukka'sma
September 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=dtbmnec;477433
:fingerscr:pray: its something that can be passed, even if he's miserable for a few days. :pray: we don't have to make the final decision......
Megan[/QUOTE]

OK, sending the vibes right now:goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr

Jim Hall
September 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
rubbing buddah's bellly as we speak

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Well the vet called and the Barium X-rays showed NOTHING!!! YAY! :cloud9::cloud9:

So we get to bring him home, stuff him back in the bathroom (umm yay?) and monitor him. He'll be on meds for the next few days and he's being given anti-vomiting stuff. Oh more of those wonderful Sub-Q fluids too. Man he loves those :rolleyes:

So yay!!!

As to what he ate? :shrug: no idea....maybe a piece of food that had him blocked up? Maybe a random chocolate chip from a millenia ago? Who knows!

Maybe when the vet poked and prodded at him last night/this morning, it maneuvered whatever it was out of the way and got it "unstuck"? Bah...crazy kitty. Or maybe the Barium flushed it out. Or maybe the absolute "terror" of going TO the vet helped.

Slight bad news: He's F-A-T! Which means so is Pawz. :eek: So I'm going to have to get their weight down, and since a certain kitty who is close cousin to Garfield doesn't like to move, it'll have to be with the weight reduction diet. Yeah its icky Hill's but to get them back to their normal weight; I'd rather have them on icky food than have to find some super expensive/hard to get weight reduction food - I'll run the Wellness one by the vet's since they seem to be rather "open" about different foods than the Hill's. Then I'm supposed to try swapping them to an "indoor" food.

Good part: I found out that they likely aren't allergic to the beef/chicken and it might have been the way it was prepared. Pfft evil kitties. So I'll try and grab some indoor formula type stuff for them once they're down to "ideal weights" again. I'll monitor that one, but I'm gonna wait for Leo's tummy to settle before doing anything too drastic.

More icky news....they have fleas. Apparently, the fleas from next door bounced their way into the cats. So a few rounds of Advantage are in order for the next 2 or 3 months. That too will have to wait for MY paycheck. Idget kitties!

Megan

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
WOW,you had quiet a couple of days and now fleas:yell:
I am glad he had nothing suck anywhere needing surgery and I hope he'll be fine on the meds:pray:
They do not look fat to me,but pics can be decieving..
Good luck with the fleas,the vet should have given you a couple of tubes for now,even if you don't have any more money..

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
WOW,you had quiet a couple of days and now fleas:yell:
I am glad he had nothing suck anywhere needing surgery and I hope he'll be fine on the meds:pray:
They do not look fat to me,but pics can be decieving..
Good luck with the fleas,the vet should have given you a couple of tubes for now,even if you don't have any more money..

Well Leo doesn't look fat....until you jiggle his belly...he's about 13 pounds when he should be like 10 (:eek:) it also means that Pawz is probably waaaaay over what he should be too (I think he's a bit heavier than Leo).

We didn't get anything from the vet about the fleas though. It kind of sucks but I think we'll let Leo's stomach settle a bit before doing anything drastic. I'm gonna get some Advantage from the vet probably next week (if I can convince mom to shell out the money) maybe just one dose for each until I get paid? That way at least he'll be done the meds and everything SHOULD be right in the world. *ponders a little more on that point*

Leo is home...he's sitting under my dad's desk at the moment kind of just "there" so he's still feeling tired and stuff. He did jump up into the sink while we went for dinner at McDonald's so he can't be feeling TOOO Tooo bad right? This morning it was an effort to jump on the chair let alone the sink! No food for him for tonight, which means that until we lock Leo in the bathroom again, poor Pawz is on a "diet" (haha! He needs to lose the weight anyways :p). No poops yet, but boy is Leo stinky :yuck: Poor guy.

Pawz is being rather good about Leo. He's sort of sitting and keeping him company even though Leo would rather not have anyone ELSE around (lol with all the poking and prodding over the last two days....I don't blame him!) Lots and lots of cuddles and loving has gone both their ways tonight. :)

Megan

Lukka'sma
September 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Glad to hear that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with Leo kitty.:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
September 13th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Well the vet called and the Barium X-rays showed NOTHING!!! YAY! :cloud9::cloud9:

Well what a relief that is!

Oh more of those wonderful Sub-Q fluids too. Man he loves those :rolleyes:

Do you warm the fluids at all before giving them? Not many vets mention doing that but I found it does help make the cats less antsy when they get them. I put the whole bag in a sink of warm water for a few minutes to bring them up to body temperature. Also, rather than the usual 18 gauge needle (not sure if that's what you're using but it seems to be the one vets hand out most) you might want to try 20 gauge. It's a tad more comfortable going in, although the trade-off is it could take a bit longer for the fluids to run through. Here's a great website on administering sub-Q, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/pets/cats/sophia/catjuice.html

Slight bad news: He's F-A-T! Which means so is Pawz. :eek: So I'm going to have to get their weight down, and since a certain kitty who is close cousin to Garfield doesn't like to move, it'll have to be with the weight reduction diet. Yeah its icky Hill's but to get them back to their normal weight; I'd rather have them on icky food than have to find some super expensive/hard to get weight reduction food - I'll run the Wellness one by the vet's since they seem to be rather "open" about different foods than the Hill's. Then I'm supposed to try swapping them to an "indoor" food.

Yikes! I'm assuming you feed your cats dry food (apologies if I'm wrong). Please please please, DO NOT FEED any kind of weight reduction dry food, especially not Hill's. The fastest route to obesity in felines is to feed them diet dry. "Indoor" formulas are just as bad. They're loaded with carbohydrates in an effort to reduce the calories (protein and fat have more calories than carbs) but cats, being obligate carnivores, NEED protein. They have minimal physiological capabilities to process carbs and the long-term excessive consumption of them often leads to a whole slew of medical problems (diabetes, obesity, IBD, allergies, etc.).

Unfortunately, most vets are not the best source of info on feline nutrition. It's not a big part of vet-school curriculum, and when it is offered, it's actually taught by the pet food companies themselves (ie Hill's, Medi-cal, Waltham etc). Can you say "conflict of interest"? Rather than any dry whatsoever (none, nada, zilch) a good canned food diet will go a lot further towards helping your cats lose weight. I urge you to read this website for more info: http://www.catinfo.org/ especially this page regarding obesity: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm and this one: http://www.catnutrition.org/obesity.php

I promise you it will be the best thing you can do for the health of your cats.

dtbmnec
September 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Well we aren't giving them to him....it was the vet....

As to the food thing it'll have to wait...we'll figure something out...I was looking and Wellness has something or other that looks like it might be halfway decent...then again I really do think I've been overfeeding :o

Still monitoring Leo....He's been pretty down all evening still....doesn't want to move unless he has to and is pretty stiff/unmovable unless he must. He's still sitting down pretty carefully and stuff. He's sitting in a box right now hiding away from the world.

We tried a hot water bottle...he moved off it....:(

Isn't there an enema type thing the vet could have given him? He just seems very "backed up" and it isn't like there's anything stuck inside (so it seems).

Logically, if it was something that was in his blood/cancer it wouldn't have triggered all of a sudden like that. They just don't work that way. He's been immunized...other than Rabies, he should be relatively up to date (does a month really make that much difference even then?) and he definitely hasn't been OUT since like mid June-ish.

He did finally make a "deposit" but it sure wasn't looking healthy (or smelling healthy :yuck: ) but its something at least? He's going to be sequestered in the bathroom again....:( Hopefully he'll have deposited by tomorrow again....I don't want to imagine anything else.

Mom goes into work at 10....I've gotta go in tomorrow or risk losing my job (I've only been there since Monday and all)....Dad can't possibly miss his work either....he'll be alone all day until about five and hopefully it'll be ok.... :fingerscr :fingerscr

Megan

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I hope Leo is feeling better by tomorrow ~ poor little guy has been through alot!

dtbmnec
September 14th, 2007, 05:04 AM
So cautiously optimistic :)

Yours truly opened the door to be greeted by a "waddoyou want" kitty followed about 30 seconds later with a "let me out of here please" kitty. No sounds just a bit of a dash to the door. OK this is good.

And then...we STRETCHED!!!!! Oh yes we did! We were tired of sitting all cramped up and stretched! We're even feeling like sitting on our butt at the moment (not crouched over like yesterday)! We aren't all THAT active but he did meander over to see me at the computer with a little bit of enthusiasm (and not the "let me find a bitty dark place to hide away" type)! He just stretched again!!

I did open the door to some poop in the litterbox and some out of it. I think I can forgive him the "misses" right now. :) He peed. He didn't look like he'd drunk any water but I'm not surprised with the fluids yesterday; they might have carried over? He puked once, and recently by the look of it, so giving him anti-vomiting meds is a good idea.

So basically we're still feeling gross and icky but at the same time we're doing much better too :). Not out of the woods yet (dear lord I still have to give him his anti-vomit pills) but we might be getting there.

Megan

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Poor kitty, maybe he just caught some type of bug.
Not sure if you feed canned or dry, but I would recommend canned to ensure he is getting enough water to flush his kidneys and to keep him hydrated.

As for feeding, I have never had a weight problem in my 40 years of owning cats and have always fed them grain free, canned food with just a bit of high quality kibble to munch on (Wellness Core right now) . I think the high carb food is leading to obesity in cats like it is in humans.

dtbmnec
September 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Back from work....

My oh my has Leo been busy in the bathroom. A couple of pees, a few throw ups and (wonder of wonders) a bunch of stuff from in the cupboards have been strewn about the floor.:frustrated::D Oh we are DEFINITELY on the road to recovery here! Not only that but the lazer pointer came out and the head followed the little red dot! W00T!

So mom picked up a bit of the canned food the vet recommended while Leo's "recuperating" and we're going to give him some tonight. In the meantime, mushed up wellness was sniffed at and licked at. Its something at least.

He's fighting with me on the meds, which is a good sign. Tried the "put the pill in the cheese" attempt....not on YOUR life. Tried the "put it in a treat" attempt....not going to take that you crazy woman. Tried the "shove it down your throat" attempt....the piller is "too big" for the bloody pill. Finally mushed it up a little bit in yet another treat and it got HALFWAY down his throat before he realized it had a funky taste. Thankfully, he swallowed it. As to how much of the stuff he FINALLY got in him? :shrug: who knows. Stupid pills....

Right now we're sitting on top of mom's chair cleaning ourselves, which is always a good sign. Pawz is still confused as to what's going on in life. No hard kibble down at the moment for Leo or Pawz, but that's ok.

L4H: Yeah they're on kibble at the moment and really should be on canned but I've been overfeeding them. It's really rather my fault. Little beggars. They really are experts at making you feel guilty over not giving them food.....

As to the water....normally he drinks enough (we haven't had issues as of yet) and right now with all the fluids shoved into him by the vet he's not feeling all that thirsty. He should want water later tonight. :)

What we (mom and I) think MIGHT have happened was that there was a chocolate chip from the muffins she baked earlier this week on the floor and Leo ate it. That would explain why he's feeling so much better this fast. If it was something hard/pointy/an object that he had eaten, he'd be feeling worse.

Megan

P.S. We are once again king of our domain because we are sitting and sleeping on mom's chair. The leather one. :)

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I gotta say it... I do NOT envy any of you who have to give cats medicine. You are brave, you are persistent and you are clever Mummies and Daddies in finding novel ways to trick that cat into taking that pill ~ dogs are sooooooooooo much easier IMHO. :thumbs up

dtbmnec
September 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Had to shove the blasted thing down his throat this time....bah....:wall:

Pawz has been confused and stuff all evening...been meowing his head off...bah

Leo refuses to eat the wet food the vet gave....its sensitive stomach one....the perscription medical stuff....Pawz on the other hand would absolutely LOVE to get his F-A-T hiney in it ;)

He pooped again tonight but this time its got some solidity to it! YAY!

:fingerscr:fingerscr

Megan

Jim Hall
September 15th, 2007, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=dtbmnec;478072]Had to shove the blasted thing down his throat this time...

ive been there It's amazing how much fight a little puss can put up is'int it?

:highfive:

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have no problem giving Rocky his pill,a tiny bit of water in his dish to dissolve the pill,then I mix it in a little bit of food(canned)and he slurps it up..then he gets the rest of the food.
Of course it helps that because of his thyroid he is always hungry,it's been almost 1 year now..

Jim Hall
September 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM
well your just a lucky stiff, sort of depends on how bad the pill tastes

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 08:17 AM
It helps that he would eat just about anything:laughing:
Stiff..yeah,I am,especially in the morning,takes a while to get the old bones moving:laughing:

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Mom was up early this morning (I needed to desperately sleep in a bit) so as she was coming down the stairs Leo was meowing his head off to get out of the bathroom.

He apparently left a soft but solid deposit on the floor and it didn't look like he'd tried to get it inside. Both good and bad news. :)

Upon exiting the bathroom he apparently made mother's life absolutely miserable! lol Just sort of ran amok as much as he was feeling like. He'd decided to even visit mom by climbing up the back of her chair today! Then he decided to give lots of cuddles to mom and followed by some hiding under my desk some more.

He still hasn't touched the wet food mixed in with water. Mom tried to give him a little of just the wet food on a spoon, and gobbled it up. I'm currently guarding another little bit of wet food from Pawz. Leo doesn't seem to want some right now, but then maybe he's not feeling hungry. He seems to "go up and down" a bit on how he's feeling, so I'll leave it out for him.

He DID finally make his hunting sounds at the birds on the big electrical towers out back. Didn't look too too impressed when I started rolling the shakerery ball around at him. :D

I think I'm going to go out later today and grab some of the salmon wet food (the wet version of what they're on now) to see if he'd like some of that.

On the Pawz front...he decided that exploring our hall closet with the coats in it would be fun and not to tell Mom he planned on doing this. So she locked him in. Walked away to hear scratching, thought it was the litter box. Peeked downstairs and saw nothing and the scratching stopped. Walked away. More scratching...She figured she was going a little nuts but she went back over to see if one of them was in the litterbox. Nah. Finally, Pawz decides to scratch at the door while mom's standing at the top of the stairs so she opens the door and out shoots Pawz. LOL

Chico: I tried giving it to him in wet food and he'll never touch the food (OR he'll eat AROUND the pill piece). I've got two more days to find various ways to shove this stupid white pill down his throat and I'm not sure how I will accomplish it....:frustrated:

Megan

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Megan,you have to dissolve the pill,mash it in to the food,some real smelly fishy food and only a teaspoon of the food,to make sure he gets the pill.

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Ahhh I shall try that next perhaps. I did manage (due to this one's small size) plop it in the back of the idget's throat :) Don't ask me how or even to do it again, but it worked! LOL

Now its just a struggle to get him to eat...We have that smelly food from the vet but he just wants to sleep! Keeping Pawz away from the food is pretty hard too! And boy oh boy is this stuff smelly! We're going to pick up mom from work tonight, so on the way down I'll ask to leave a little earlier and pop in at the pet store and grab a small can of the wet version of the Wellness. At least maybe he'll recognize the smell and want to eat it instead of this duck based food...maybe?

Megan

dtbmnec
September 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM
WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WE just deigned to eat some of teh wet food the vet gave us! In fact I don't think I've seen a cleaner "plate" :D:laughing:

Patience gets another point it seems :)

Megan

krdahmer
September 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear he's doing better! Hope he keeps gettin better!:pray::grouphug: