Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeking information-advice re: dog with "environmental allergies" + taking Prednisone

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Four years ago, my little rescued dog Baby, (Pomeranian/Yorkshire Terrier),
suddenly developed "Environmental Allergies". Symptoms of 24/7 being itchy on her paws and body. She needs to take 1/2 tablet of Predisone :( every day - which helps "a bit" only (she is still constantly biting on and licking the itchy areas!). I would like to know if anyone has any advice on perhaps any other solutions to help with the itchiness. Are there any others meds that might help. Or miraculously - would there be any althernative-holistic type of treatment? Thank you!

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Did you have her tested by a vet for specific allergies Violet? The symptoms you are describing could easily be food allergies or a yeast infection along with a number of other things.

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Did you have her tested by a vet for specific allergies Violet? The symptoms you are describing could easily be food allergies or a yeast infection along with a number of other things.

No, she definitely has "environmental allergies" - and gets them like clockwork during this time period August-September....just like humans who suffer with Hayfever allergies - ie ragweed etc. My Son is suffering also these past few weeks with his allergies too :(
Thanks for your reply.

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Colloidal oatmeal baths are very soothing for itchy skin. You might also try a 50-50 apple cider vinegar/ water rinse which will help to restore natural oils to skin. Some people have found success in eliminating dry, itchy skin using Omega 3-6-9 oil (mix into food) others use fish oils and organic extra virgin coconut oil (also mixed into foods).

If she is taking prednisone I assume she has been seen by a Vet. Personally, I would not continue to giver her prednisone if it's not working well enough to ease the itching. Perhaps you should go back to your Vet to review her condition and if necessary askfor a referral to a dermatologist. You may also want to talk to your Vet about using a over-the-counter medication like Benadryl in the mean time.

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
My Bailey has food and seasonnal allergies . He is ok with the food I feed him , but he has to take Vanectyl for the seasonnal ones. From April to October / November.

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
My Bailey has food and seasonnal allergies . He is ok with the food I feed him , but he has to take Vanectyl for the seasonnal ones. From April to October / November.

What type of symptoms does he have....itching on paws and skin on body?
And what type of med is this? Does it help Bailey? Does changing the food help cut down the allergic reaction? Is this a medication for both types of allergies? Thanks!! :)

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Colloidal oatmeal baths are very soothing for itchy skin. You might also try a 50-50 apple cider vinegar/ water rinse which will help to restore natural oils to skin. Some people have found success in eliminating dry, itchy skin using Omega 3-6-9 oil (mix into food) others use fish oils and organic extra virgin coconut oil (also mixed into foods).

If she is taking prednisone I assume she has been seen by a Vet. Personally, I would not continue to giver her prednisone if it's not working well enough to ease the itching. Perhaps you should go back to your Vet to review her condition and if necessary askfor a referral to a dermatologist. You may also want to talk to your Vet about using a over-the-counter medication like Benadryl in the mean time.
Thanks for the suggestions......her skin is not dry though and she has nice healthy shiny hair and eats only great holistic (organic) foods which contain all of the ingredients you mentioned. The Vet did review her (and actually I can no longer afford to keep going back for reviews :(..........). I asked about an antihistamine and he kept on saying that they do not work well on dogs..........
I think that I will take your advice though, and try Benadryl and see if it works! Thanks for your advice - not sure what dosage though...she weighs
12 1/2 lbs......anyone know?

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
It helps 100% for his allergies. BUT , like any long term medication , it is not good for their system (example = liver) Bailey would lick himself until he bled. Once I figured out his food allergies (corn and chicken) I had him on Lamb and Rice. But couldn't do anything else than give him the Vanectyl for his seasonnal ones. You need a prescription from your vet. It's not an expensive treatment. And you can adjust it too. Bailey is suppose to get 3 pills every 2 days , but I give him 2 every 2 days. Benadryl would not do Bailey any good. He would need to many.

sways_bodyguard
September 14th, 2007, 11:33 AM
CYCLOSPORINE (ATOPICA)...
most dogs can tolerate it well and it has far less side effects than the prednisone.
my dog is one of the few that couldnt tolerate it & it gave digestive issues, but for the most part everyone who uses it sees good results.

also, make sure you are feeding him something of substance...
no corn, no wheat, no by products.

i would suggest like a duck & potato or possibly Nature's Variety Raw patties, which are very healthy.