Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice for older cat/matted/Montreal

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I would appreciate receiving any advice, suggestions, and information please.
My (stubborn) Mother, lets her cat Cowie :( outside. He is older and tired and with aches and pains - (a bit of arthritis? + years of injuries from fighting young feral cats)....very distressing for me - but unfortunately she is very set in her ways and is not open to any suggestions about this. For the past few years he has become very matted (all over his body below his neck) and very very sensitive and cannot be touched past his neck because it is so painful.
I am at my wits end and so frustrated at how she "cares" for this poor little guy. I would like to know if anyone can send me any referrals to someone in Montreal who works with attempting to help Cowie - to de matt his fur. It might not be possible as he might try to bite them as he has never been to a groomer. A Vet (whom she now refuses to continue to go to because of his advice) - suggested he be sedated and shaved. I may be able to pursuade her to bring Cowie to someone who is very gentle and understanding of a cat of his nature (and in pain from the mats)...........HELP??!! I appreciate all comments - thanks!:sad:

Love4himies
September 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Not sure about Quebec, but here in Ontario the local SPCA will intervene when an animal is not be cared for properly. Unfortunately it also means they may confiscate the animal to clean him up and will return the animal when she reimburses them for their costs. Maybe your mom will listen to one of the staff members.

Perhaps you can give them a call and see if they will help?

badger
September 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
There's a groomer near me who shaves cats regularly. I'm sure she would be very gentle. You could ask the vet for a tiny dose of tranquilizer to reduce the stress, I see nothing wrong with it, certainly not compared to the agony your mother is putting him through. It's not just the look, it's how the cat feels and the fact that heavy matting is brutal on the skin and invites infection (particularly if he is a fighter). Not good for any cat and definitely not an older one. Right now, his coat is just painful baggage. A cat's coat is SO important physically and psychologically.
PM me if you want the groomer's number, you could at least talk to her and relay any info to your mother.

PS My health food store sells a glucosamine liquid, not too expensive, 20$ for a large bottle. For his joints.

Jim Hall
September 13th, 2007, 11:31 AM
i would try a third party also but maybe someone your mom knows who has animals? Or maybe make her a present and have it done for her

I know with the cats i had that went outdoors getting them cleaned and groomed was an almost every day chore If the cat is al ong hair it can take everyday to keep them cleaned.

Maybe also explain to mom that its unhealthy for both the cat and her

Boubou
September 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
My sister and I are groomers and we do many cats and very rarely have problems. There is a way to handle them so they don't feel threatened and we always 'talk' to them throughout the grooming job and you can see this eases their stress level immensley.

There is no need to tranqualize your cat if the groomers know what they are doing and truly love and understand cat behavior.....
If the mats are very severe all over the body, then your cat will probably have to be shaved and a little "Lion Clip" would be the most comfortable thing for your cat.
If there are just a few mats here and there, then some could be shaved and the rest of the cat combed out.....but it would be up to the groomer to decide what's best..

Hope this helps!

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
My sister and I are groomers and we do many cats and very rarely have problems. There is a way to handle them so they don't feel threatened

They get the cats stone and play "In a gadda da vida" over and over again :laughing:

:sorry: couldn't help myself , again. :D :shrug:

VIOLET0019
September 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM
My sister and I are groomers and we do many cats and very rarely have problems. There is a way to handle them so they don't feel threatened and we always 'talk' to them throughout the grooming job and you can see this eases their stress level immensley.

There is no need to tranqualize your cat if the groomers know what they are doing and truly love and understand cat behavior.....
If the mats are very severe all over the body, then your cat will probably have to be shaved and a little "Lion Clip" would be the most comfortable thing for your cat.
If there are just a few mats here and there, then some could be shaved and the rest of the cat combed out.....but it would be up to the groomer to decide what's best..

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply. I was just wondering how can you get a cat to not bite you and to be able to hold him down if he is very very afraid, especially from the sounds of a shaver??!

Are you in Montreal?

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Are you in Montreal?

They are in South shore.

Boubou
September 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Sorry for not responding - I haven't check in on this thread in a while!

Very funny Frenchy! Now you blew our cover, we had our clients believing it was CATNIP in that big Ziploc bag!

How do we avoid getting bit? By being very careful and reading the cats body language at all times. The cat will tell us if he doesn't like it when we pull his back leg or turn him over on his left side (for example). So we find different ways to position the cat so he is more comfortable and doesn't feel too violated. And a soothing voice is always a plus!

There have been a few cats over the years that were just impossible to groom. But we can tell even before we start the grooming process how the cat will be.

Our shop is on the south shore in St. Bruno. I'll pm you with the rest of the info....

Jim Hall
September 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
A few cats only wow

Dracko
September 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
I had a cat (had to put her down at 17) who LOVED to be shaved. She got fur balls a lot and I thought maybe if I could clip some of her hair it would help. I thought for sure she would run but, nope. For years I would get the LOUD electric clippers out and she'd lay there and purr while I shaved her. :p The only place she wouldn't let me near was her belly...well, and I didn't shave her head, of course.