Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Running out of food options over here....

gomez
September 13th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Gomez had been eating Eagle Pack Holistic, but he was very itchy and his skin was very dry, so we decided to change him over to the other high quality stuff over here, DVP Organic... we did the changeover slowly and added a probiotic in the mix, etc... but he does not tolerate this - his poos are consistently pasty and I can't get it to stop, even if I keep mixing it with the probiotic, it's been 4 weeks of pasty poos - The vet prescribed antibiotics, but I am reluctant to give them as I know it's totally food related...I think I need to switch again...

My options here are very limited, I have the EPH, the DVP, the Nutro, and then the other "stuff" we don't even consider...

Except for this one I found ... what do we think of this semi-dry?

Our all natural fresh recipe uses these highest quality ingredients:
Fresh Chicken, Australian Poultry Meals (contains no red meat), Whole Grain Wheat, Sucrose, Rice, Food Acid (33, Glycerine, Sea Salt, Canola Oil, Calcium, Chicory root (inulin), Flax Seed, Potassium Sorbate, Natural Colours, Natural Antioxidants (307). Added Vitamins & Minerals incl. Copper 10mg/kg, Vitamin A 8670iu/kg, Vitamin D 429iu/kg, Vitamin E 114iu/kg.Typical AnalysisDaily Feeding GuideEnergy (kj per 100g)1470Protein26%Fat Min 7%Crude Fibre4%Calcium3%Phosphorus1.5%Ash12%Moisture20%Sal t (occuring naturally) 3%Dog Size Semi Dry Only Semi Dry + Canned Feed Toy 1 cup cup +50-100g can Small 1-2 cups -1 cup+100-160g can Medium 2-4 cups 1-2 cups +160-380g can Large 4-6 cups 2-3 cups +380-700g can This is a general guide only. Food intake will vary depending on the breed, sex, weight, age, activity level and environmental conditions.

here's the link to the other flavours: http://www.naturesgift.com.au/semi-dry

I know he likes it because a) he will eat ANYTHING and b) we got a sample bag at a fair and used it as training treats...

This is it, such a limited selection over here - Canidae keeps threatening to bring their range over, but they seem to be encountering a lot of quarantine problems...

So... what to do... what to do...?

luvntzus
September 13th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Definitely no to the food that you posted the ingredients to! Sucrose as the 4th ingredient is awful. Plus wheat is a common allergen. I think Eagle Pack Holistic is probably the best quality food you're going to find. Which formula were you feeding? I would feed one of the single protein formulas- either the Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal & Rice or Duck Meal & Oatmeal. If you've only tried one of those formulas then I'd try a different one. But if it's the grains or one ingredients other than the protein source that are causing them problem then it won't help...

Have you tried adding a fish oil supplement? That can do wonders for dry/itchy skin.

TeriM
September 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM
If your selection is that bad then I would seriously consider switching to raw or home-cooked. With a small dog like Gomez it shouldn't be very time consuming and would probably be your best choice.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

want4rain
September 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM
i dont know about things on your side of the.... planet!! but over here raw is much cheaper than most of the other higher quality foods. i think Eagle Pack is the only commercial food thats considered high quality and not as expensive as raw.

we have had LOADS OF SUCCESS with our allergic balls of fur on this side. lots of people here who can help you out with it too!! we do have two cats who are allergic to different kinds of meat but Misters allergy problems are totally gone.

if you are interested, start a new raw thread!! its not half as scary as you think. :)

-ashley

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I too would run fast and far from the food you have posted and not only because of the sucrose. A meat meal, if it is to be trusted should specify exactly which bird you are getting. Fresh chicken sounds good but by the time the water is processed out it, there's not alot of chicken/ available protein left. Additionally, the digestible protein in wheat and rice is, for dogs, very small, so while the 26% looks good on paper your dog is actually metabolizing very little of that 26%.

If you are able to do raw/ home-cooked that would be your best option and given how teeny Gomez is may be alot less expensive that kibble and probiotics.

If you're uncomfortable with raw/ home-cooked go back to the EPH and switch formulas to see if that cures the itchies. If fish oils aren't doing the trick, my dogs have fallen hard for organic extra vrigin coconut oil.

gomez
September 14th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks all, I thought it looked pretty bad... but it's considered "good" over here...

We have tried al the EPH, and he loves them all, but the fishy seemed to be the best for him, so I have ordered EPH fishy formula again, plus also an Omega3 supplement and will keep going with the probiotics, lets see what happens...

For various reasons, we prefer not to feed raw or home cooked right now, so for now we will keep trying with the kibble...

Watch this space!

badger
September 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Over here you can find ready-made raw for dogs, weighed and packaged in individual servings. Probably expensive.
Interesting about the itching, I've been feeding Eagle Pack Holistic (cats) for months, switching flavours occasionally; and then lately, feeling tapped out, I bought a bag of the non-holistic variety. Tony began to scratch and is still scratching. Not a flea in sight, I might add, and his coat is gorgeous. When I went to buy food yesterday they had finally gotten in some Orijen. No grains, so we'll see if it helps. They seem to like the taste.
Then I inherited a half-eaten bag of Science Hairball. They FELL on it a kid on a hamburger. I can't go into the kitchen without being swarmed. What's in this stuff? I now understand how the sight of their cat chowing down with such enthusiasm would make people think twice about changing to a healthier brand.

gomez
September 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Yep, they have those over here also BARF patties - but we spend a lot of nights away travelling or on the boat, and keeping that kind of stuff fresh enough could be a challenge..

I don't know, I will cross that bridge when I get to it, I suppose...:shrug:

rainbow
September 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM
It sounds like the EPH is the best choice for Gomez. I would also give the coconut oil a try. :thumbs up

Did you ever read post #10 in this thread? ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40731&highlight=coconut+oil

gomez
September 16th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks Rainbow, I must have missed that - would I give it alongside the Omega3 oil, or one at a time?

rainbow
September 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I would alternate between the two. Or, if you don't get the results you want with the Omega 3 after it's used up, then switch to the coconut oil. :pawprint: