Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog whimpering

chris6
September 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hi, I'm new to this so please help me.
My 4 yr old dog, Sammy, she has started whimpering and carrying a toy around all the time.
She acts as if the toy is a baby. she is not pregnant. Does anyone have any ideas.

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
welcome to the board

has she been spayed?

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the board, chris6.

Did your dog have a heat cycle about 2 months ago?

mika140
September 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine has a dog who went through a "pseudo-pregnancy," as I guess it is called. Her female is not spayed. She carried around a toy that looked like a carrot and acted as if it was her baby. She displayed extremely strange behavior (I saw some of it). My friend took the dog into the vet and learned that the dog thought she had a baby. Sounds the same to me, but I'm still new to this stuff so not completely sure.

rainbow
September 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
It does sound like a pseudo-pregnancy. If she is not spayed I would get her done as soon as possible. Unspayed dogs are at risk for pyometra which is life threatening and also uterine cancer.

SuperWanda
September 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hi - one of my dogs has always done this and we think it is because she wants to find a good hiding spot for the toy. She also does it if she is given a special treat or a bone. She walks around and cries until I put a blanket on the floor so she can bury it in the blanket.