Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not BSL but important for Ontario, Canada residents

Saradog
September 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
For those who haven't had time to study the proposed Mixed Member Proportional Representation proposal, please find the time to understand it.

There's an explanation on this site....

http://www.yourbigdecision.ca/en_ca/default.aspx

and a sarcastic explanation in the Toronto Sun...

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Strobel_Mike/2007/09/12/4489425.php

babyrocky1
September 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
HMMM. well in theory I liked the idea of proportional representation, but, how does the pool get picked???? at present, the candidates of each party do go through a democratic nomination process... soooo, will the "pool" do the same thing, If they do, Im in... if not... hmmmmm, not so much:shrug::shrug::shrug:

babyrocky1
September 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
.....AND just to get us back on topic... how do we know if the "pool candidates" are for or against BSL!:dog::dog::ca:

Saradog
September 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
HMMM. well in theory I liked the idea of proportional representation, but, how does the pool get picked????

All of the following is as I understand mixed member proportional representation, so you should do your due diligence on how it works.

The pool candidates are selected by the political parties, not the voting public. So, you will have sitting MPPs who are not elected and who IMHO owe their jobs to their political masters.

As for BSL, we cannot know since these people are appointed rather than elected and will probably take their party's line on everything. The voting public will not be able to quiz the pool people before their appointment.

Saradog
September 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Another thought...I wonder how you get these pool people out of office, since they're not elected. Do they resign at the end of every four years and the process starts again? That seems a hideous waste of time and information that may have been accumulated. And since they're not elected MPPs, are they subject to the same rules and regulations concerning ethics, etc?

seeker
September 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Without having done any research on this topic I just want to say this.
At first glance it looks pointless, we can hardly get enough people to vote now without asking them to vote twice on the same day.
If it did come into effect in order to decide first which person to vote for and second which party you want to win will require a lot of learning in order to make the right desisions. It is confusing enough right now when trying to decide which candidates leader will lie the least once he/she gets in.{well maybe not this time, but in a normal election it is}
I think for the most part few of us learn enough during the campaign to make the proper decision in most cases. So by adding another question that needs to ba answered I think most people will simply pick the person they want elected and vote for that person's party.
Again without knowing any more than what I read here, in the Sun and from the flyer it seemes needlessly complicated . Before I make a final choice on this I would like to find out how it is working in other countries that are using it and not just take it on Dalton's word that it would be good for Ontario.

Schwinn
September 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I don't think I'm real big on it either...basically, it seems that the losing parties get some arbitrarily picked MPs...you can say "I like my NDP candidate, but I don't like the NDP, so I'll vote for a different party"...I'm not sure I see the point, really...

I went through the "my big decision site", and I think I like it the way it is...well, comparatively speaking, anyway...

babyrocky1
September 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I came to the opposite decision today... Ive been wrestling with it, honestly, I dont like it the way its set up but I want a form of proportional representation.
This form is not it though.
However, since the Fibs are saying they are
"nueteral" about it, the feeling is that they don't want it to pass, and that it won't pass so this is my way of protesting the status quo.
I think that the "pool" should also have to be democratically elected, at least through their respective parties, and I have been told that my party would do that, but like others have mentioned, its the party you don't like that you worry about in this system.. my example of horror is that Mike Harris could be in the Tory pool!
I guess hell is subjective LOL
Anyhow, Im voting FOR it!
But it can't pass it needs sixty percent in sixty something ridings but I hope the numbers of votes at least send a message that something needs to change.
This is the kind of thing they should have done CONSULTATION about... oh yah its the Fibs... guess they did do "wide consultion" :D