Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

do cats get colds

yankpuddin
September 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I have barn cats. I have 2 grown females which have both just gotten fixed and shots. They have each had a litter one litter is 7 weeks and the other litter is 8 weeks old. 2 days a go one of the 8 week old kittens didn't seem as active as normal. It also looked like it was drooling a lot which if my research is right is how they sweat?! Anyway it would eat a little and drink, now three days later this kitten is playing and eating as usual but his brother is starting the same symptoms. These cats are very hard to catch and do anything with until they get like this because they are barn cats. I'm just trying to find out if this is just a cold or if I need to try and catch allllllll of them and take them to the vet we have 8 kittens between the two litters.

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I can't help you much as my experience wis with dogs but there are tons of threads here on the subject (ie. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1343&highlight=cats+colds) In the search function just key and "Cats and colds") ~ there are at least a dozen with great infiormation to help you.

You might also want to research vaccine reactions.

badger
September 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a little virus making the rounds, which so far :fingerscr they have managed to throw off. If the mother had no shots when she gave birth, there are a number of diseases she can transmit to the babies in utero.
I'd watch and wait. Is it drooling or mouth breathing? Mouth breathing is not a good sign, I learned recently. Could also be nausea. Or a URI (upper respiratory infection).
Watch and wait.
What are you planning to do with the kittens :)?

yankpuddin
September 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I have friends that will take most of the kittens and i will get the ones I keep fixed once old enough but i don't want to give anybody sick cats! So right now I'm waiting. Our history with cats is they usually take off and don't stay around very long.