Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA different in each city?

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I sometimes watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet. I hate watching anything that has to do with animal cruelty, but I watch the show because it does give me some hope that there are good people out there. They rescue pets that are in very bad situations and find them good homes and many times the abusers are caught and get at least some punishment for what they've done.

But as I was watching last night something upset me. Last night it was Animal cops Detroit. The officers were called to a dog fight, but it was 3 pets who just got into a bad fight. One was a Pit bull male and the other two, male and female American bull dogs. The Pit Bull seemed to be in the wost shape, but here's what upset me. They didn't even try to help him. They saw he was cut and bitten but since the owner couldn't afford treatment he had to sign the dog over and it was euthanised.

Why didn't they try to treat the dog and put it up for adoption? Every other show like this I've seen, from Phoenix, New York, Miami, they all take the pet, try their best to treat the injuries then put it up for adoption. But these people didn't even make an attempt. The narrator said that the owner couldn't pay for treatment that's all.

I don't get it. I was so mad. I mean I'm not a vet but I've seen them treat dogs with stab wounds on other shows and they wind up fine and in good homes.

So does this mean if you live in a certain city or state there are different rules for what can be done to an abused or hurt animal?

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I wonder if either Michigan or Detroit itself has Breed Specific Legislation which bans pitbulls.

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I know for sure we can't have them here in Miami, but I'm wondering if that might have been the case.

I just thought it was incredibly cruel to not even attempt to help that dog.

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
According to this http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2785 there isn't a breed ban in Detroit itself but this http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/BSL2006Wins.htm indicates it was repealed which means it must have been in place at one time.

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Ah, that must be it. At the end it said that it was a show from 2005, so at the time they still may have been banned. It's interesting to see though that only two communities in all of Florida will allow you to own a Pit Bull.

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I too have watch the various Animal Cops shows not the specific episode you saw, however, Detroit has a HUGE problem with dog fighting. Often when these fighting dogs - not necessarily always Pits - are picked up by AC, they cannot be rehabilitated & rehomed because the AC officers experience has shown them once the dogs have the "drive to fight" they become a danger to the public. The only thing these dogs know is to fight & will go for non fighting dogs too & may turn on people ie food aggression etc. And alot of times the wounds are too serious :sad:.

I always think the dogs deserve a second, third chance but most times if they do go up for readoption someone in the "fighting community" down there will adopt the dog & put it back in the same position to fight for its' life :sad:

There was one I saw Detroit had picked up a dog caught after a very recent street fight who had obvious old fight scars, while they were holding him trying to contact the owner, someone else who was known to them for fighting dogs tried to adopt the dog for himself so he could fight the dog :frustrated: but they knew this wasn't the owner & didn't give him the dog.

I have found NY gives the best effort in rehabilitation with biters/aggressive dogs but with known repeat fighters they still cannot be trusted out in the general public - so they are euthanized :sad:

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I've seen episodes like that, but this was a pet. That's why I found it so horrible they didn't even help it. The owner left him in his neighbors yard for the day while he did something, and they dogs just started fighting.

And I saw the episode you're talking about. What a moron, though, asking an animal control cop to give him the dog so he could fight it.

CyberKitten
September 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I have never watched this show - do not watch TV to be honest (news channels, sports - I work too much or am online, maybe I need a life, :) ).

However, to respond to the q, it has been my experience that many SPCA's are different - have different rules and policies from province to province. Many are kill shelters - ie after 72 hrs if they have no room, they claim they have no choice, sigh! Others are no kill. Some do not even treat animals tho most have a vet on call I believe.

Many raise money by having a contract with a municipality and work as the defacto animal police. They pick up animals and feral cats and dogs with no home have a slim chance of finding a home. Of course, they also deal with people who bring in their pets.

Some of course are excellent but one cannot assume the SPCA in one location is identical to one you are used to.

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification. After I saw this I had to ask, because I just found it so odd they would not even help the dog.

t.pettet
September 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I have watched quite a few of the Animal Cops also but what I find most disturbing is that their behaviour evaluations I feel are unfair (in most cases). They expect a timid, unsocialized dog to be trusting and outgoing too soon. Its been taken from a negligent, cruel owner, in most cases has medical issues and thrust into a shelter environment without enough time to adjust before its deemed unadoptable and pts. How do they expect any dog to start to feel secure or confident in a shelter environment? Any dog I've had in rescue has taken a minimum 4-6 weeks to start to come out of it's shell so you can see their true potential. Wasn't there a recent incident regarding this issue with the Ottawa Humane Society when potential adoptees (who originally found the dog as a stray and turned it into the shelter in hopes of finding its owners) were refused a chance to adopt it after some behaviourist deemed it nippy? and the dog was pts? These people were quite willing to work with the dog to help it overcome any issues and should not have taken the animal to the OHS, rather put up found ads and after an appropriate amount of time just kept him.

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I have watched quite a few of the Animal Cops also but what I find most disturbing is that their behaviour evaluations I feel are unfair (in most cases).

You bet , having a long stick with a rubber hand at the end , poking you and getting in your food , I would bite too ! :mad:

clm
September 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I can't watch shows like that, they just upset me too much. I know abuse exists, but I can't watch it.

I agree with Frenchy, assessing a dog by poking at it is hardly fair. Any scared animal has the potential to bite, let alone if it's being poked by a stranger.

As for Animal Control, here in Mississauga, they have the authority to assess an animal on pickup, if it's hurt badley they can euthanize without even taking it to a vet, it's purely their call. Found that out when I had them come to get that poor cat I found a while back that was in such bad shape.

Cindy

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I saw the episode ancientgirl is talking about and yes,it was upsetting:wall:
The famous behavioral-test is sickening to say the least,the one I saw was a Boxer,who was found looking like skin and bones:sad:
Still really skinny when he was tested and was very protecting of the food-bowl,understandably,he was deemed unadoptable and pts...I just don't understand that,it's crazy!!!

I usually only watch the last 10min of these shows,they show the happy endings:dog::cat:
The one I like to watch,is from Phoenix,they seem to go all out to save an animal,but who knows,it's television after all.
The worst seems to be in Miami,I don't like the Alligator-guy,they have a lot of dogfighting-problems etc..

I believe all shelters have their own policies,our Oakville HS,is a no-kill shelter,unless the animal is severely wounded,but I am sure they don't keep Pitties around too long:sad:
I've heard the Mississauga HS,kills after a certain short time...

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I saw the episode ancientgirl is talking about and yes,it was upsetting:wall:
The famous behavioral-test is sickening to say the least,the one I saw was a Boxer,who was found looking like skin and bones:sad:
Still really skinny when he was tested and was very protecting of the food-bowl,understandably,he was deemed unadoptable and pts...I just don't understand that,it's crazy!!!

I usually only watch the last 10min of these shows,they show the happy endings:dog::cat:
The one I like to watch,is from Phoenix,they seem to go all out to save an animal,but who knows,it's television after all.
The worst seems to be in Miami,I don't like the Alligator-guy,they have a lot of dogfighting-problems etc..

I believe all shelters have their own policies,our Oakville HS,is a no-kill shelter,unless the animal is severely wounded,but I am sure they don't keep Pitties around too long:sad:
I've heard the Mississauga HS,kills after a certain short time...

I watch it to mainly for the happy endings. It's good to see some pets are given a chance.

I agree with you though, Phoenix seems to be the ones who try the hardest to help the animals.

I live in Miami and that Alligator-Guy kind of irks me. I saw him handling one once and he seemed to be just throwing it around. I mean I know they weigh a lot but he just seemed to toss it in the back of his truck like the poor thing can't feel pain.

There is a lot of dog fighting issues here, but not like back in the 80's, it was worse back then, as well as with the Cock fighting.

cristinadobre
September 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I also watch Animal Planet, I agree with you that it should not be differences in SPCA actions from one region to another. I do believe that even a dog who was putting to fight can be saved, probablly the time spent would be longer and the money invested much more. I am from Bucharest, Romania and here we are dealing with bigger problems, at least you have Animal Cops, we are working here to implement this law in Parliament to have Animal Cops in our country, because eveyday we see abuses on dogs or cats (especially the stray dogs) and nobody gets punished. The adoption programme is also not working very well, we have shelters for stray dogs with 200-400 dogs in one shelter. This shelter with 400 dogs under the protection of a Foundation must now transfere these dogs to another shelter and 5 volunteers are working to rebuilt new fences, kennels or to collect money from donations. Anyway we put our hope in this Animal Cops law, we think is our last hope for all the animals.

ancientgirl
September 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM
It's unimaginable to think people could treat animals so cruelly, but unfortunately, that's the kind of world we live in. At least there are people in your country willing to help.

cristinadobre
September 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Yes ancientgirl, unfortunately, this is the world we are living, but I still believe that if we take position, atitude, it's better than nothing. This situation here in Bucharest with the 400 stray dogs, I saw on a animal forum and with some other users I started to collect some money from our friends, relatives, etc. I saw in the photos only 5 women carrying on their shoulders big pieces of iron fences. I thought I should help to collect money in order to hire at least 2 workers/day. Sorry, I am so sad I wrote this, but as I told before we need in Romania a SPCA and Animal Cops, as soon as possible, as it is in USA or Canada, even if they are not doing their job always perfect, is our only hope for our abused or abandoned animals.
Thanks for listening to my problems.