Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Back to square one.

Rottielover
September 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM
He guys, last night I got a little good news from the vet, but a lot more uncertainty. His results for the TLI blood test came back high, not low which would mean he has pancreatic insufficiency, but just the complete opposite.
Normal result for test is 5-35 she said, he came back over 50.
The weight loss is what is really concerning her though.
After 2 weeks on the viokase, he started having semi normal pop, so she said to leave him on the viokase for now.
She does not know what a high result means, so she will be calling the lab Friday morning, then calling me right away at work.
The gardia is gone, nothing in his stool, no parasites, all clear, or she has told me.
So we are back to square one, with something ruled out. BUT she did say he possible can have acute pancreatis.

clm
September 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM
That's too bad. I'm sure you were hoping for some answers not more questions by this point. I hope they find out what's wrong soon.

Cindy

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Just an fyi: chronic pancreatitis can lead to pancreatic insufficiency Rottielover. Does your Vet think this acute bout was perhaps brought on by the giardia or antibiotics somewhere down the line? Did she suggest a 24 hour complete fast to rest his pancreas?

Rottielover
September 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM
She was just running off some possibilities. She has never seen a TLI high before, so on friday she will be getting answers from the lab. Acute is a possibility, not certainty. So are many other possibly things. :(
She did not mention a 24 fast. To be honest, unless I know that will work for certain, I do not want him without food. Losing weight.

TeriM
September 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
:sad::sad:

How is Harley feeling?

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Rottielover :grouphug: I was so hoping you had found some solid answers for helping your gorgeous boy :sad:

:fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Poor Harley. :sad: I hope you finally get to the bottom of this on Friday. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well that's a bummer, Rottielover! :grouphug: I know you were hoping you had this thing all figured out! :fingerscr and :goodvibes: for some definitive news on Friday.

haley23
October 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
My 6 month old lab/chessie mix was just diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis. She was hospitalized for 2 days after some viscious vomiting and loose stool. They had her on an IV to get some fluids. They did every test under the sun; and the results came back with Chronic pancreatitis.
My vet mentioned that this could turn into EPI --

She is on a special diet, and finishing up some tagamet and antibiotics.
I am having a really hard time dealing with this... How are you coping with a sick dog?

CyberKitten
October 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Chronic pancreatitis is also very painful - I hope he s getting good pain management!! Pls be careful with it- he needs to be areful what he eats and his fluids and electrolytes also need to be checked and monitored and helped to get back to normal.

My thoughts are with you and Harley!!

:grouphug: