Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I tell if my dog is pregnant?

mestas
September 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
My husband & I have a 3/4 Bischon Frise mixed she's roughly about 5yrs old. We just recently got a Neutered Mixed Beagle & Australian Shepard dog. The problem is we took our Bischon Frise to the groomers and just in the last 2 weeks she is looking chubby, she has 4 nipples on her belly. I can't tell if she may be pregnant or going through the change of life. Can someone give me some answers?:confused:

mestas

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Why would you think your dog is pregnant if your male is neutered ? If your female is not spayed, then NOW is an opportune time to do so even if it means aborting any puppies. A Vet can determine whether she's pregnant at about three weeks after breeding usually just with a physical examination. Unspayed females are prone to a number of diseases including the potentially fatal pyrometra along with a number of cancers ~ please have your dog spayed asap.

mestas
September 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
This is in response to Mummm answer. We think she may of gotten pregnant at the groomers, if she is even pregnant. We know that our Neutered Male dog didn't do it. We will get her fixed asap, but first I want a Veterinarian to check her to see what is going on. She has gotten a little fatter since she came back from the groomers.

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Well when you take her to the vet for a checkup you can make an appointment to have her spayed. :pawprint:

t.pettet
September 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
If the groomer had to take alot of hair off her then her chubbiness, along with her nipples would be more noticeable. Frequently my customers are quite surprised at their dog's condition when they're shaved down for the summer, good luck at the vets.