Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering an adult Chi

twruble
September 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
So there must be a big "S" on my forehead for sucker. We are first time dog onwers (15wk chihuahua - Eddie) and have gone through very trying times with our little guy already yet I now seem to find myself with a 2yr female chi as of a week ago. Eldest daughter brought her home as her friend was forced (by parents) to get rid of the dog for excessive barking and snapping. It was on the way to the pound when my daughter intervened.

While I am far from an expert, I have been successful in getting her barking down considerably and the snapping to a bare minimum. She seems very happy here compared to the shivering timid gal of a week ago but now I am feeling bad. Its obvious to me that she was abused somewhat in the past and we will attempt to find a good home for her but I must be honest that I am worried that all of my efforts here will go to waste if she doesn't find the right home. I'm worried that she will regress and be passed around from home to home....

She was not properly socialized - our Eddie outshines her already in friendliness and manners - so the negative behavior is not her fault. She is actually very sweet and again, nothing like the dog brought here a week ago... I am toying with the idea of keeping her but would be pushing it with hubbies allergies.

Guess my question here might be how long should I foster and work with her (without her growing too attached), how do I ensure a good home, and finally, how do I let her go? (Told you... I am a sucker :p)

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Wellllll... I don't know about the sucker part but you certainly do have a big heart.

I've never fostered (attachment issues I'm afraid) but hopefully Frenchy, LP and some of the others who foster successfully and often will chime in. Hazel might regale you with her tales as a failed foster (sorry hazel ~ couldn't resist).

It sounds like you are doing all the right things so far ~ good luck !

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
i dont know..... we still have Frances.... i cry at adoptathons....

good luck!!

-ash

twruble
September 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
My daughter took the dog with her to soccer last night and a team member fell in love on the spot. She witnessed the barking first hand yet was able to overlook the lack of training and the need for socializing. She already has a dog and two cats (she still lives at home with parents) although everyone seemed really keen on the idea of opening their home to her. I suggested that she first come over for a few days before we make any decisions though. Pup has come so far in a week's time that my over protective genes are already rearing their ugly head. I feel bad as do not necessarily want to give her away but that is probably the mom in me. :shrug:

t.pettet
September 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Been fostering for many years and have learned that there is no time limit to how long they're in my care. Some dogs need their own family and are ready for the transition within weeks while others seem to need more work, confidence building and socializing. I wait until I'm 100% sure, totally confident and completely confortable releasing the dog to a new family. If you have any doubts then hold on to her until the right people come along or if you are going to be worrying about her and think you might regret giving her up then perhaps she is meant to stay with you. If you have fallen in love with her and feel that she can become her best with you through your patience and commitment then maybe it was meant to be. I made a mistake early on by giving a less than credible person a dog only to have it returned to me within 2 mos. and had to start all over re-habilitating him. It put undue stress on the poor guy and took months for him to gain his confidence back.

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I second everything T.pettet just posted.

And , you only had her for a week and already the progress ! :thumbs up things are looking up ! If you're thinking about finding a new family for her , I'd say keep working with her a little longer. If you're thinking about keeping her , even better :D

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
:o Yeah, hazel lasted less than 4 days. The Pack went from 7 to 8 real quick. No more fostering for hazel...the Inn is full up... :o

So I have no advice for you, but I've got my :fingerscr and the Pack has it's myriad of :pawprint:s crossed for you! You're an :angel: for working with this little girl and caring so much about her future! :dog:

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
My daughter took the dog with her to soccer last night and a team member fell in love on the spot.... I feel bad as do not necessarily want to give her away but that is probably the mom in me. :shrug:

And here's my over-protective :2cents:.

Assuming that "your" dog and the new family along with all of the new family's animals get along and bond, what will happen when the young woman, like all young women do eventually, moves out of her parent's home? Will the parents be ready, willing and able to take on the responsibility for this dog? If the young woman will be taking the dog with her, how will "your" dog respond to being taken away from the family and other animals?

I ask these questions sadly from experience ~ my last dog (Tai :candle:) was the puppy of a dog (Snowy :candle:) originally adopted by a girl who left her dog when she went off to college with her parents. Her parents didn't want Snowy and provided only the barest minimum of care for her begrudgingly. And then to top it all off, they were stuck with, not only Snowy, but a whack of puppies as well.:frustrated:

Did I mention I'm over-protective ? :o

Frenchy
September 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Did I mention I'm over-protective ? :o

:laughing: yes but with special need fosters , you would have to be. :thumbs up With any rescue dog , you have to be sure about the family that adopts them , and extra sure with dogs with issues.