when is a puppy old enough to start wearing a backpack

kigndano
September 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
when walking?

i want to do this to intensify his workouts, but i dont want to do it too early

anyone know?

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I would wait until he has completely stopped growing which is generally maxed by two years of age in larger dogs.

kigndano
September 13th, 2007, 06:20 AM
nice

good to know

OC_Spirit
September 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM
You can start anytime after 4 months just getting him used to the feel of the backpack by putting it on himand filling it with plastic bags or newspaper to bulk it out. He will learn to be concientious of the extra bulk he is now carrying so he doesnt run into stuff with it. At about a year you can then start adding weight. Keep it light!!! You can increase weight as he gets a bit older 1.5-2 years. Remember to never exceed 1/3 of your dog conditioned body weight!!!! For example, during sledding season OC tends to weigh 61Lbs "harness weight" but sometimes if we have a very hot summer he puts on a few pounds and weighs 65Lbs "kennel weight". This wouldnt mean that during the summer I could increase the weight in his backpack during the summer... Actually if your dog is overweight he really shouldnt be carrying a backpack at all since he is already carrying excess body weight which is har enough on his joints.

kigndano
September 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
OC

so i can go get one now, and fill it with newspaper without risking any damage correct?

i guess that makes sense, since newspaper weighs next to nothing.

OC_Spirit
September 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Yup! Its light enough to not risk any damage of anysort, simply makes her aware of the extra bulk on her so she learns how to navigate around things without running into them (with the backpack). The first time she has it on give her praise if she ignores it then put the leash on and head out the door. IF she is very distracted by it and doesnt ignore it then just calmly put the leash on and go for a walk. The goal is to distract her from the backpack. Put it on for every walk. She will start associating the backpack with a wonderful thing (walks) and come to LOVE the mere sight of the backpack as it means she will get to go for a walk!