Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question to owners of pets allergic to some foods

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I've spent most of the day reading about feline asthma and food allergies. I'm beginning to think that my Oksana may be allergic to something she's eating, and this is causing her to have the coughing episodes.

I switched both little ones from mostly dry to mostly wet about 2 or 3 weeks ago I'd say.

I've been thinking back and that's been about the time of Oksana's first coughing episode. She's also been itching around her ears and neck, which is one of the symptoms I read of an allergic reaction to a certain food.

So, I'm thinking she might perhaps be allergic to seafood, which was one of the suggested culprits. I've got an appointment for her to see her vet on Thursday and in the meantime will stop giving her anything with seafood.

My question is, to those of you who have pets that are allergic to a food, how did you find out and what were their initial reactions that made you first think they might have an allergy?

loopoo
September 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
heres a good link, it shows some skin products, but really the info on it for signs of allergies for cats and dogs is useful.

http://www.allergicpet.com/cat_allergies.html

there are some really good quality foods out there is your cat does end up being allergic to a food. Aside from allergy testing, some people will do a kind of elimination diet, simply switch the source of protein, and or grain even through homecooking for short time only, then slowly adding other sources to identify and watch for any allergic signs.

Hope your vet appt turns out well.

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thank you for that link. It sounds just like what's been happening to her. I recently began them on a mostly canned diet, and they've been eating mostly seafood, since that's what they seemed to like best. So I'm thinking seafood might be the culprit. I've stopped giving her that and will not give her anymore until I talk to my vet and get a better idea if this is the problem.

It's times like this when I wish they could talk!

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
go raw!!! fixed Hunter and Shadows coughing!! :thumbs up

-ash

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
When you're comparing foods look not only at the protein source but also the grains and fillers (esp corn) in what you are feeding and eliminating.

For my dog it was gastro-intestinal (severe diarrhea, gas, vomitting) and skin/coat (greasy and flaking, dirty, dull, itchy) and constant yeasty ear problems.

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm going to talk to my vet on Thursday about a raw diet. Right now I think seafood is the culprit, but I may need to do some food testing to know for sure.

I know a raw diet is best but I'm just afraid of giving them uncooked meat.

I'm gone all day. I'd have to feed them in the morning then leave them with no food while I'm gone, unless I left them kibble which I do now. I'm thinking as long as I keep the food in the fridge its all right, and I'd have to make sure to throw anything a few days old away.

I looked on some other sites and so far she's only got the coughing, and itching in one main area. But that leads me to lean towards the food allergy and not my original thought that it might be asthma.

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
tomorrow when they eat i will get some pics of my guys eating raw meaty chicken bones. :) my vet was very very surprised by Shadows labs when he hadnt eaten in 4 days. he thought i was lying when i told him he hadnt eaten in so long. wanted me to check the house for other food... old kibble we forgot about lol!! another lady vet swore up and down that my pets would get sick from a number of things. you know... thousands of pets raw fed are sooooo sick all the time LOL!

-ashley

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I remember my dad used to feed my kitty in high school little pieces of raw chicken whenever he was cutting up chicken from the market. He loved it. There's a farmers market pretty close to my house and I think they sell beef that's free of hormones. I'll have to go by and ask some questions. I'd feel more comfortable giving them something I know isn't full of chemicals.

LOL, as you can tell, I've got no problem eating all that stuff myself, not not my kitties!

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I hope you won't be surprized by a negative reaction when you approach your Vet about raw diets. Very few Vets (or human doctors for that matter) are exposed to extensive information about nutrition in school.

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Well, I'll expect nothing but hope for the best in regards to my questions about a raw diet.

Mainly I'd like to rule out asthma. If food and a certain type of food is her problem, then I can really concentrate on changing her diet.

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Fagan and Windy have food allergies (although they present with skin and digestion symptoms not coughing).... and high on the list of possible allergies was seafood, so maybe just try cutting that out first. I looked into raw, but can't afford it, not with six. So I get the highest quality single source protein dry food I can (duck or lamb are best they say), and use Merrick's canned (no seafood flavours). So far so good. And check again for fleas, and maybe spray the house if you haven't.... if she's allergic to fleas one bite even if she's protected can cause a reaction.