Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

breeding my boxer

petrible
September 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hi, I have a 9 yr old female boxer that I am thinking of breeding. Is she too old?
Pat

joeysmama
September 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes I think she is. Don't put her through the stress. Breeding is not easy. It's time consuming, physically and emotionally stressful for the animal and it can be very costly.

I think your time and money would be better spent having your girl spayed. And it's a much healthier option for her !!

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
with the overpopulation issues dogs are faced with, please think of getting her spayed!!

-ashley

erykah1310
September 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
yes. Too old.

What would you think an 80 year old woman would feel like if she was to become pregnate???

Purpledomino
September 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Definately too old. Most dogs are either too old....or too young. The few that fall in between probably shouldn't be bred either. She is not too old to be spayed though. :wall:

rainbow
September 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Nine years is definitely too old and unless you are a qualified breeder any age is wrong. An unspayed dog is at risk for pyometra and uterine cancer. Please have your dog spayed.

Mypetsrmykids
September 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Rainbow is 100% right....I don't know why but alot of unspayed females do get pyometra especially. This is a major infection of the female organs and many have died from it. My ex-mother-in-law had 3 female dogs at different times, every one of them got this deadly infection. One of them died from it and the other two almost died. The organs swell up to 10 times their normal size, it's unbelievable. I know that because I used to work in a vet's office and have seen it happen often. Cancer is also very possible.
The health risks are very high if she got pregnant also. Why put her through that? Is it fair to her? I hope you decide to have her spayed instead. It's much kinder.

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Please make sure to have bloodwork done prior to surgery to ensure she is not at risk of reacting to anaesthesia and to establish whether there are any existing health conditions of which the Vet should be aware prior to surgery. This is specially important for an older dog such as yours.

Frenchy
September 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hi, I have a 9 yr old female boxer that I am thinking of breeding. Is she too old?
Pat

Are you kidding me ?

:clown:

Bluedrake
September 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Definitely too old. 9 years old for a dog is about 50 years old for a human...

Besides, there are way too many dogs in shelters awaiting a good home. Don't add to the overpopulation by breeding.

petrible
September 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I thought she was but I was just asking. I would prefer to spay her but the kids (21 & 20) want a puppy. thanks for all your input.

sugarcatmom
September 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I thought she was but I was just asking. I would prefer to spay her but the kids (21 & 20) want a puppy. thanks for all your input.

Tell them to get one at the local shelter. Millions of cats and dogs are put to death every year because there aren't enough homes for them.

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I would prefer to spay her but the kids (21 & 20) want a puppy.

:rolleyes: :clown: :loser:

CyberKitten
September 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
The kids are old enough to adopt a puppy at a shelter or rescue. That dog is way too old to be bred - and should not be bred to start with. Is she a Champion? If you have to ask, then you likely do not know about breeding and with all due respect, please do not become a back yard breeder and be someone who abets the overpopulation problem!

luvntzus
September 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM

The average life expectancy for a Boxer is about 10 years old. I would highly advise NOT breeding a 9 year old female Boxer. Whether your kids want a puppy or not, it isn't your elderly dog's responsibility to make one for them. That would put a huge strain on her body and would be one of the worst things that you could do to her. :sad: Your kids are adults and definitely old enough to understand (or learn) that it would be an awful idea to breed your girl at her age.

There are plenty of breeders that you could get a Boxer puppy from. If your kids want one "just like" your current dog, that isn't likely to happen anyway and definitely not a reason to risk her life.

Bluedrake
September 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
One of the first lessons you need to learn when you decide to adopt a pet is that you should never let anyone pressure you into getting one.

I assume that your kids live with you. The reality of it is that you will most likely be the caretaker of that puppy if you adopt one, not the kids.

So, if you want a puppy, adopt it for yourself, not for the kids. Also, at your dog's age, if she has always been an only pet, don't put the pressure of a new arrival on her.

At 9 she could very well be nearing the end of her life, so don't put any unnecessary stress on her.

Love4himies
September 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I am currently fostering a mother cat and kittens. The first thing I noticed was how extremely draining nursing babies were. I felt so sorry for her and she is only approx. one year old. I would have doubts whether a 9 year dog would survive and wouldn't risk it if it were my dog.

mummummum
September 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Kids?

To misquote one of our wiser members "Spay your litter ~ prevent a critter"

erykah1310
September 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM
To misquote one of our wiser members "Spay your litter ~ prevent a critter"

OMFG!! I love it!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

clm
September 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I can't believe someone who really cares about their dog, would even consider breeding a 9 year female of any breed.
What on earth are you thinking.

Cindy