Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hiccups?? Please help.

Belles_my_baby
September 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hey! I have a mini dachshund, she is 9 1/2 wks old...
She gets the hiccups ALOT! probably atleast 2 or 3 times daily. Its very odd, Is this a medical problem? And she has a small non threatening umbilical hernia (that I will get fixed when she is old enough to spay) Does this have anything to do with it?
Any help will be appreciated!

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I would call your vet and tell him/her about the hiccups.

It doesn't sound like something normal for her to be hiccuping so much. You might want to take your puppy in just to have her checked.

Belles_my_baby
September 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
okay well thanks for the help i called my vet (shoulda thought of that myself) she says it is common for puppies and she will grow out of it!
thanks!

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I'm glad you spoke to her. At least you know its normal.

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
You might find this interesting:

Hiccups are presumed to be a vestigal reminder of the womb: the lungs need some type of strengthing exercise while in a watery environment. Hiccups are a means to exercise the diaphragm, the wide sheet of muscle that seperates the abdomen from the thorax, until the fetus is delivered into a dry environment and must rely on exchanging gases via the lungs.

Hiccups are normal.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

As well, puppies in particular gulp alot air when they eat and drink. As they grow (most often but not always :rolleyes:) dogs slow down on the goovering and seem to gulp less air.

Kristin7
September 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
My dog did this same thing as a pup and he has since grown out of it. He is about a year and a half now and was about 5 months old when I got him. I recall him doing this for several months, but certainly stopped before he turned 1.

Lukka'sma
September 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Lukka always used to do it as well when she was a baby. It lasted a few weeks as I recall.