Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh no,Bailey has a tick

chico2
September 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Today I noticed this thing about an inch away from her right eye,it is definetly a tick,all swelled and ugly looking:yell:
I left a note for the owner,I've never had an animal with ticks,I know you use tweezers to remove the whole thing,but she's not my dog,I did not want to attempt it..
Is it dangerous for her,in case it's still there tomorrow??

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
:laughing::laughing: silly northerners!!

yeah, just pull it off w/tweezers and hit a tick site to ID it. some carry disease. :)

-ashley

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
i dont think it would HURT for it to stay there because if it had a disease then the dog already has it but if it falls off it can have babies in your yard. im no expert but i dont see anythign wrong with pulling it off... happens every day here!!! i imagine that guy or a near by relative had a heck of a journey to make to get all the way up ther!!

just make sur eyou have a positive id on it or you save it for the owner!

-ashley

chico2
September 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
:laughing::laughing:Oh well,it's really ugly looking,I'll try it tomorrow if the owner has not already removed it....
It's really close to her eye though,it will be a 2 people job:yell:

EdwinBird
September 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
During the early summer sometimes when Riordan and I would get back from a walk in the country I'd count upwards of 6 - 8 ticks on him. He always enjoys being checked for ticks (I give him a firm rub-down which seems to make him happy) and I always found tweezers to work fine (I've never tried the specialty "tick-tweezers"). Just remember to grab it by the head, otherwise you may end up ripping only the body off.

otter
September 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Eweewwwww! Just the thought of ticks make me creepy:yuck:
You could probably pm Hazel, she's the tick expert I know though want4rain and EdwinBird seem to have some good advice

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
However did she get a tick ? She nnever leaves the backyard unless she's with you and I didn't think we had ticks this far down south !

Before you pull the tick out (gently), put some vaseline on it so that it unburrows it's head.

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Tweezers should work--be prepared to tug hard though, Chico. If the tick is swollen, it's been there a while and will be hanging on pretty tight. Grab it as close to the skin as you can--you'll want to try to get all of the head and mouthparts out to prevent infection, and you don't want to squeeze the body of the tick and make it regurgitate bacteria into Bailey's bloodstream.

If you want to try something different, I've been dying to test a new removal technique. It won't hurt Bailey if it doesn't work, and it would be so easy if it does work. Just be careful to keep away from Bailey's eye.

Take a cotton ball and put a glob of liquid soap on it. Cover the tick with the soapy cotton ball for 15 - 20 seconds. Supposedly, when you lift the cotton ball away, the tick will have backed out of Bailey and stuck to the cotton ball.

I don't know if it really works--someone that I don't know very well told me it works but like I said, I haven't had a chance to test it, yet. (If it works, please let me know! :thumbs up)

Whichever method you use, treat the site afterward with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol--make sure you don't get whatever you use into her eye though. :eek:

And be prepared for Bailey to get a harmless wen at the site as it heals. Many dogs get warty little growths at the site of a tick bite--sometimes they go away with time, sometimes they're more permanent--it's almost like an allergic reaction to the tick that causes a scarring irritation.

Want4rain is right--if the tick is swollen, it's been on for more than 24 hours, which means any disease it's carrying has likely been transferred to Bailey. So you'll want to watch for signs of lameness, fever, lethargy, etc. over the next few weeks. Probably wouldn't hurt if you could convince the owners to have her in for a snap test for ehrlichia and anaplasmosis in a few weeks, either...but maybe that isn't something they'd be likely to do?

Good luck, chico! Ticks are really gross and icky to deal with until you get used to the little blighters! :yuck: And wash your hands really good when you're done! You can pick disease up from the tick's fluids, too! (Latex gloves would be good if you have any.)

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
However did she get a tick ? She nnever leaves the backyard unless she's with you and I didn't think we had ticks this far down south !

Before you pull the tick out (gently), put some vaseline on it so that it unburrows it's head.

Vaseline just makes 'em slippery in my experience. They don't seem to mind it a bit, the little bastids! :frustrated: :p

This time of year we notice a very strong correlation between the migration of ground foraging flocks (most notably here, the white-throated sparrows) and the first appearance of deer ticks. I think they climb aboard the birds, then get dropped as the birds spread out to forage. When we see sparrows in the yard, we can pretty much guarantee that we'll start finding ticks on the dogs.

Those same birds are coming through your area, too. Maybe one of them was carrying a little hitchhiker? :shrug:

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 11:19 PM
How about that! Thanks for the info Hazel. In my 19 years in Toronto ~ and in some of the swampiest and grassiest, most forested etc etc areas of Toronto and the GTA ~ I have never :fingerscr:goodvibes:come across a tick.

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM
How about that! Thanks for the info Hazel. In my 19 years in Toronto ~ and in some of the swampiest and grassiest, most forested etc etc areas of Toronto and the GTA ~ I have never :fingerscr:goodvibes:come across a tick.

Gads, woman! You've never lived! :laughing:

Actually, I wish I had your "problem"... :o

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM
:yuck::yuck::yuck:

EWEWEW

I would definitely not want that job Chico.... I jump just killing bugs, with my luck I'd freak out and drop it on myself!!!

Both my brother and uncle have had them before and they both lived so I'm sure Bailey will be fine! :o

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Thank's everyone,I really don't think I dare to attempt removing it myself,it's really close to her eye,what if I slip with the tweezers..she squirmed when I checked it out,hubby had to hold her.
It was definetly not there the day before,I always wipe off the gucky stuff she has from her eyes and I would have noticed.
Their backyard is not exactly park-like it's loaded with tall weeds and high grass...:frustrated:
:pray:they removed it last night:pray:if not,I'll try the soap and cottonball method(thank's Hazel!),or better yet,hubby will try it:laughing:

gomez
September 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
The advice they give us here is to never smother the tcik with anything like vaseline or liquid soap - apparently anything that makes it struggle for air will make it regurgitate bacteria or worse,poison into the dog.

We are also told to remove it as soon as posisble, as the longer it's in, the more poison it releases - and always put it into a glass bottle to take to the vet for ID -

I wouldn't be waiting Chico, I would just pull it out...

Of course, here a little paralysis tick could be the death of a dog in 1 hour - and you don't have those over there - still they are gross!!

Love4himies
September 12th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Poor Bailey. If there is one tick there will be more. You can purchase special tick pulling devices from your local vet, they are only a couple of dollars. My husband got training on pulling ticks after Jasper got one.

The tick should be brought to the health unit or local vet to have it tested for Lyme's disease which can affect dogs.

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 06:56 AM
L4H,I checked her whole little body thoroughly,could not find anymore...:pray:the owner knows the importance of having it removed so it's gone today.
I have to take Rocky for his 6 months bloodtest today,so I'll talk to my vet...
By the way,I completely checked out my kitties too,no Ticks.

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well,that thing is still there,the owner had obviously fiddled with it,I am no longer sure it's a tick.
It's about half an inch away from her eye,..
I've only seen a tick on an animal once and the sack was blackish,on Bailey it's pinkish..
Hopefully the owner will take her to the vet tonight:pray:
There are sooo many things with this pup that needs attention,ears etc...it's really frustrating and I cannot take her to a vet,first of all the owner would get mad,maybe I would not be able to walk her anymore..
Also,hubby does not agree with paying for Bailey's vet and he's right,we have enough with the cats..but I would take her to her vet,since the owner does not have the time..OMG

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
well maybe if you suggested it like that, the owner might pay for you to take bailey and you are such a sweetheart for wanting to. It's so hard when others don't share your view of the importance of vet care I know.

CyberKitten
September 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
The owner does not have the time, I agree with the OMG - why do they have a dog???

Ticks are sometimes associated with lyme disease and other illnesses so she will need to be observed. I guess what I am saying is if she were my dog, she'd be at the vet. Poor Bailey!!!! I hope the tick is harmless - are you going to pull it out? The instructions already given are great - good luck!! I just hope the tick did not give her any disease!!!

Lyme disease can be transmitted to humans so be careful.

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I've never seen a pinkish tick :shrug: Maybe it's just a benign growth......hope they take her to the vet. :fingerscr

CyberKitten
September 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ohh, I missed the pinkish part. No, cannot say I ever have either. I do hope they bring her to the vet!!!!

coppperbelle
September 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
When I was a kid I remember my dog getting something on its neck. I also remember using my fingers to pull it out and then just throwing it away. My father told me it was a tick and that was the last I had to deal with one until last November. Chloe got a tick on her neck and when I tried to pull it out it broke. I used regular tweezers and then brought her to the vet, just in case.
Fours years ago when we bought our cottage I found this tick spoon at Petsmart and bought it just in case. I also bought rubbing alcohol. Both are at the cottage and I found the tick while I was at home so of course didn't have anything but tweezers to remove it and I didn't do it right and the head broke away from the body.
That tick needs to come off as soon as possible.

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Chico2 , can you take a pic close enough so we could see it ? Just to make sure it's a tick ?

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Wood ticks often turn grayish as they swell--deer ticks are pinker. However, I've also seen fast-growing benign growths that are pink in color--and some are pretty hard to tell from ticks. :shrug: A picture might show enough detail to tell if it's a tick or a growth.

You'll know for sure in a few days--it'll get just so big, then fall off if it's a tick. Maybe if your neighbor finds a full-blown tick on its back with its legs kicking (:yuck:), she'll see the necessity of taking Bailey in to the vet next time :fingerscr

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I was going to delete my last post,I was ranting,I get those moments sometimes,sorry!
It's really difficult at times,I get frustrated over Bailey:sad:
I will try to get a pic today,she gets really squirmy when we try to get a closer look.
I might talk to the owner once a year,if something is wrong,like the 3lb choclate episode,I can call her at work..
Hopefully she was at the vet last night,we'll see:pray:

Love4himies
September 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I have had a pinkish tick one of my cats years ago.

Chico, do you think you can get a tick puller from your vet and a quick lesson from him/her while you are there?

Poor Bailey:sad:.

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
WEll,today it's considerably smaller,it looks like someone punctured it,hopefully a vet.
It is still a pink oblong little sack..I took a couple of pics of it,but it's very hard to see+another few pics,she's sooo sweet.
She pooped THREE big piles today:yell:

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
A couple more...:dog:

want4rain
September 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
:cry::cry::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::cry::cry:

oh my gosh that one of the deck looks so much like my Betsy!!! i will get some pics up of her soon.

RIP My Love :candle:

-ashley

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I can't see clear enough to tell ... but oh my gosh , I just love that third picture of her ! The one where your hubby is petting her head , she looks in :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I can't tell from the pictures... :o

But if it's smaller, chances are it isn't a tick. Maybe just an infection that's drained and healing now? Sounds weird, whatever it is!

But those pics of Bailey! :cloud9: She is such a cutey! :D

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM
You can see pictures of ticks right here : http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/ticks/

maybe that would help ?

chico2
September 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Yeah,my stupid camera did not take a good pic of it,but since it has shrunk,it's probably not a tick:pray:
Her ears seem cleaner too,so maybe she was at the vet tuesday night..
We'll still keep an eye on it.
Thank's for the site Frenchy,yucky stuff!!

Love4himies
September 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I can't see clear enough to tell ... but oh my gosh , I just love that third picture of her ! The one where your hubby is petting her head , she looks in :cloud9:

Doesn't she though!

chico2
September 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Oh yes,she's in heaven when we rub her ears,give her a back-massage or a belly-rub,anywhere really,I suppose most dogs are.:dog: