Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yeasty ears...

Purpledomino
September 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Okay, I just got home from another vet appointment, Ruben (bullmastiff) has yet another ear infection (yeast) and another round of Otomax is in order. This is his second infection in three months, and I have been cleaning those ears regularly to try to curb this. Going to try an elimination diet, I'm assuming that I should cut out all grains first? He was fed Acana, so now I am going to try just Orijin and see how that goes. Vet said that it could be just his conformation of that ear, since it was the same one, or a food allergy. Does anyone here have any advice as to where to start with this diet? Am I on point as to try and eliminate all grains first, I did read in another post that corn, grains, soy and chicken are the most common allergens. As for the conformation thing, we did notice his bad ear is closed more than the other, but he could be holding it like that now because of soreness. I'll check on that when he's better, and if it is still closed, I thought I may need to tape that sucker open! Another thing the vet suggested is cleaning the ear with 50/50 vinegar/water solution, since yeast hates vinegar. Anyone try that? Thanks for any suggestions! :sick:

Ford Girl
September 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
The first question I have for you is...did the vet take a smaple and test the type of yeast and match it to the correct antibiotic? For the first few perscriptions my vet tried something new each time, then I spoke up and told him that he needed to find out what it was rather then treating it with different meds that "might" work, he tested it, and gave me the proper perscription for that type of yeast. I used the proper meds for 6 weeks (3 weks longer then needed) and it's now gone. For regular maintenience I was told to drop a few drops ear cleaning solution drops once a week or after any water play or play with another slober monster doggie, and if she's napping or sitign still to flip her ear up as often as possible to dry it out. She is on a grain free diet and always has been. The vet told me this morning that this will most likely be soemthing that will always be an issue since she is prone to it, Dazy had a yeast infection for 7 months and we just got rid of it, I have a vet's appt. booked for every 6 weeks for the next year for a quick recheck (at not cost) so that we can treat it as early as possible if it should return, there is a small amount of damage to her ear cannel so we need to keep on top of it.

The switch in food for you will be a good thing, we use Orijen and she loves it!!

Good luck!!!

Ford Girl
September 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Posted twice for some reason? :)

Purpledomino
September 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Thank-you for your reply. Yes the vet did take a sample of each ear, one of which was infected only, and verified to me that is was yeast. I was not aware that there are different types of yeast, so I didn't think to question that, and she just told me that it was yeast. I needed to have him seen today, and my regular vet was booked up, so we saw someone new today at the clinic. She said he didn't need anything oral, just the Otomax drops twice daily for 14 days...four days longer than last time in July. I will cross my fingers that this will work, and if it doesn't, or he gets another one...I will most definately question the type of yeast and treatment meds with my vet. Your vet is awesome that you are able to book 'quick checks' at no cost, that sure would be helpful with chronic problems such as this, but I'm sure that is the exception! I think that I have probably paid for my veterinarians children's college education by now...and I haven't even paid for my own! ;)

Bentley'sMom
September 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Our golden retriever, Bentley, had a history of yeast ear infections. We frequently gave him a course of otomax which would clear them up; but it wouldn't be long before he had the same problem again. Rather than progressing to giving steriods (which the vet suggested as a next step), I decided to put him on a grain free diet. He has been eating Orijen since February and we haven't had an ear problem since. Of course, we weekly clean out his ears as a good preventive measure. The only treats he gets, Innova Evo bones, are also grain free. These measures might not work for every dog, but it was simple enough to try and has been great for us. Hope you find a solution for your dog.

Bentley'sMom
September 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I forgot to include in my previous post that I also add salmon oil to the Orijen. I don't know if that had anything to do with clearing up the ear infections, but it sure has made his coat longer and softer.

Purpledomino
September 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the glimmer of hope Bentley'sMom! I am definately going to get him on just Orijen now, I am in the process of converting him now...adding probiotics, canned tripe, and Eagle Pack holistic transition powder because of his sensitive tummy. (I had many diarreah issues with him before when trying to convert...and NOONE wants a 144 lb. dog with explosive diarreah! :eek:) I have already been supplementing all my dogs with salmon oil, which I feel is great for their coats etc. The only treats that I've seen that are worth buying are the Innova grain-free, which they get, all the other treats I've seen contain wheat and corn etc., and I've never wanted to feed them that anyway. I'm just glad to hear that you had good luck with your dog on a plan like mine, I'm going to hope for the best! :dog:

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
The only treats that I've seen that are worth buying are the Innova grain-free, which they get, all the other treats I've seen contain wheat and corn etc., and I've never wanted to feed them that anyway.

freeze dried yummy goodness!! i had a post about treats for raw fed dogs (you know, they dont seem to want anythign other than their FOOD anymore LOL!! like whats cooler than a big giant chicken?) but Mister *loves* freeze dried liver. there is a site you can order lung and pancreas and a few other organs from too.

-ashley

Purpledomino
September 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Freeze dried liver and pancreas sounds just heavenly! THOSE treats would definately be worth feeding, I just stay away from those packaged ones that seem from my experience, just little turds of wheat. Even alot of the so called "holistic" treats I've found are pretty crappy ingredient wise. You would think that a "treat" should be just that...extra yummy, and extra healthy, not the other way around. I'm getting this a little off topic, but I'd love to find out how to get decent treats like that. :offtopic:

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
you just HAD to go mention healthy treats!! :laughing:

http://www.barenecessitiespetfood.com/FreezeDried.htm

here is a site for them, i havent ordered anythign yet because money has been tight (and i just blew up the dryer :eek:) but look at the selection!

*coughs* ok folks, back to your regularly scheduled programming!!

-ashley

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM
50-50 Vinegar to water is the correct proportion for an ear cleaner that creates an inhospitable environment for yeast. Some people swear by apple cider vinegar, others prefer white. It works!

If your dog has developed greasy, smelly skin as a result of the yeast infection you can also use a vinegar rinse post shampoo to help clear the skin.

Purpledomino
September 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wow, thanks guys....you're awesome! :D

pitgrrl
September 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
50-50 Vinegar to water is the correct proportion for an ear cleaner that creates an inhospitable environment for yeast. Some people swear by apple cider vinegar, others prefer white. It works!

If your dog has developed greasy, smelly skin as a result of the yeast infection you can also use a vinegar rinse post shampoo to help clear the skin.

I've had extremely good and fast results using apple cider vinegar on very yeasty, yucky feet. You need to make sure to get real apple cider vinegar though (health food store will have it, or supermarkets with a health food section, and look for the stuff which contains the mother, aka weird floating gunk in the bottle) as there are also apple "flavoured" vinegars which are not the same thing.

Purpledomino
September 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I will definately try the apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar solution. Finally a solution for something that is actually cheap, go figure. :rolleyes: Vet said to wait until his ear is not sore before using it though, right now its red and looks so ouchy, the vinegar would sting I'm sure. I've never heard of "yeasty, yucky feet" before, but it sure does sound disgusting... and I hope my dogs never get those! :yuck: