Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stella was recently struck by a car...

ordinaryboy
September 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Anyone with experience for after-care?

She spent the night in the emergency care - she was stable and very lucky - She has a small hairline fracture in her front right leg - The vet splinted the leg and prescribed Rimydal -
My first and most important question - Im seeking advice and or re-assurance from those who may have had a similar incident as Im about to describe.
I picked her up from the vet about 4pm on Monday afternoon. It is now 1130 on Tuesday morning, and she has yet to urinate or defecate. I called the vet and the technician told me that I don't have to worry about the defecation part because she is still eating and suggested a 1/2 tsp of metamucil (She is 35lbs). She also told me that I don't have to worry about the urination part, because she is not vomiting - Now - My plan is to wait until this afternoon, call the vet and perhaps take her back to the vet if she has not urinated. She has an appointment to go to the vet on Thursday morning, and I just feel that is far too long of a time to wait. Now, granted that she probably didnt have much water to drink since her accident, and when shes been with me, shes only had about 3 cups or so of water - Perhpas her body is using all she takes in because of the rymidal and the lack of water?
Secondly - She must be created at all times to reduce her movement, she is young and has a lot of energy. She's not been crated with us, and cry's when we crate her - She is left alone for about 8 hours a day, four days a week. Any tips on helping acquaint her with the crate? Our neighbor said we can keep her in her crate at his place while we are gone, so she doesn't feel totally alone. Is this a good idea?
Third - The vet warned me to watch to make sure her toes don't get swollen - they seem to be slightly separated, but is this something that will be totally obvious or will a slight toe separation be indication enough of too tight of a splint?
Any help appreciated - thanks so much!
Chris and Stella

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
So sorry your baby had that experience, I don't have any advice, just send my good vibes for a swift recovery! :pray:

shredy
September 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM
When Shade was a puppy she was hit by a car and had multiple injuries and surgery that required she be in in crate for 3 months. It was difficult, but our strict adherence to crate and leash walks for bathroom is what helped her get back to a normal puppy who in later years went on 20 mile bike rides with us. When you are home, she needs to be in the crate, sit with her in front of it and reassure her that she is a good girl. When you leave, put the crate in a family area, leave the television or stereo on, and give her toys. See if someone can check on her the first couple days and take her out to use the bathroom.

Your vet told you to look for swelling because the leg is splinted, so if the bandage begins to look tight and her paw gets puffy that is swelling and the bandage needs to be changed ASAP.

Has she urinated yet??? If not, that is a big deal, she may have had damage to her urinary tract or kidneys and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

We did physical therapy swimming after the vet cleared her. Your pups injury is not nearly as severe as Shades was, but this is my experience with her, so I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any more questions

badger
September 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM
If your neighbour is reliable (and I mean 100%), leaving her there (in her crate) might be a solution; or at least have the neighbour check on her from time to time.
:fingerscr full recovery for your pup.

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM
A fairly reliable test for dehydration is the press and pinch. Press your finger on her gums. If they immediately turn from white back to pink (or their normal colour) she is likely not dehydrated. Pinch (gently of course) the skin on her neck. If it immediately returns to it's normal shape and place on her neck, she is likely not dehydrated. Also look at her eyes ~ do they seem dry and sunken ? Are her nose and mouth dry as well ?

But, you are right to worry about her elimination. Try to make it easier for her to walk by placing a sling (or a towel) around her chest so that you are doing her weight-bearing.

ordinaryboy
September 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I never thought I'd be happier to have Stella pee on our carpet...a LOT of it too. She finally peed Tuesday night. She pooed in her crate Wed during the day and our neighbor took her out where she pooed more. So relieved.
Shes getting back to her old self - obviously not her exact old self just yet - shes still in a splint and certainly cant do a lot of what shes used to. The vet looked at her splint today and was very happy with how it looked. He said she can go on short walks and walk about the apt, but no more than that, and just to be very careful about any jumping or getting on and off furniture.
Thanks for all your advice!
Chris, Rich and Stella

sways_bodyguard
September 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
i hope she recovers from the crash ok