Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Penny Catching Mice

luckypenny
September 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Penny caught not one :yuck:, not two :yuck:, but three mice :yuck: in the yard this morning. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what she was eating as she would swallow by the time I opened her mouth. She ended up playing with the third one before attempting to eat it so I told her to "Leave it!" so I could finally get a look at what she had.

The question I have is, can she get sick? I've never had a dog who ate mice before :shrug:.

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM
got them on heart worm meds? take a fecal in to the vet in 2 weeks or so. :)

penny will be just fine. :) im sure it was yummy!

-ashley

Love4himies
September 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
May get worms or a parasite, don't know if dogs can get hantivirus (sp?) if it is a deer mouse. If you still have the carcuss of the mouse you can check if it is a deer mouse by looking at the underside of the tail and tummy to see if it is white, grey is OK. May want to wear a face mask and gloves just in case.

My cats get dewormed by the vet if they consume any mice.

clm
September 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
My last dog, Yogi would eat mice or voles if the cats left them as gifts in the yard. He would swallow them before I could get to him :yuck:
They never hurt him. I never even had to have him wormed because of it, but I think that could be one of the problems with them eating them.

Cindy

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
one of the things they tell us raw feeders is that a healthy animal wont get worms because they have a healthy body. thats also what my doctor told me when i was concerned about not being able to gain weight. un/fortunately it wasnt worms, it was hyperthyroidism for me! LOL!! id almost rather have worms!!

-ashley

luckypenny
September 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Want4rain, yes, they're all on AdvantageMulti. I was wondering about tapeworm though. Lucky had gotten it in the past by hunting wild rabbits.

Clm, I'm glad Yogi didn't get sick. It's somewhat of a relief.

Love4himies, :eek: going to dig the carcass out of the trash now to see :yuck: :o.

luckypenny
September 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
one of the things they tell us raw feeders is that a healthy animal wont get worms because they have a healthy body. thats also what my doctor told me when i was concerned about not being able to gain weight. un/fortunately it wasnt worms, it was hyperthyroidism for me! LOL!! id almost rather have worms!!

-ashley

They've only been fed raw now for about a month now so I'm not sure if this would apply to them yet.

"id almost rather have worms!!" Ewww! :eek::yuck::laughing::laughing::laughing:

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
My goodness, I've never heard of a dog catching mice before. I hope they were tasty.

TeriM
September 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Tell Penny that you've got the raw shopping covered and that she doesn't need to help :D.

breeze
September 12th, 2007, 12:07 AM
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Our dogs routinely go on successful (in their opinions, not hazel's :rolleyes:) mouse, vole, and (lately) shrew hunts... They've never gotten sick from eating any of them.

I think they'd be more likely to get tapeworms from rabbits than from mice...although for the life of me I can't remember where that tidbit of possibly falacious information is coming from. :o

We also once had a springer spaniel whose first owner told us that she was the best mouser around. Once we inherited her, we found out he was absolutely right! :D She was quite the Varmint Vanquisher! And she never tested positive for worms, ever. :thumbs up

So hazel is thinkin' that very possibly Penny will be just fine! :fingerscr It may take Penny's mummy some time to recover from the :yuck:, though. :D

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 12:18 AM
:yuck:.... it must be gross out night....first ticks now mice....:laughing::laughing:

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
The cats are forever dropping off little treasures in the backyard for the dogs.So far, no one has gotten sick. :o :fingerscr

KarenEM
September 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
My Bella brought a wonderful surprise into our bedroom one evening. We let her out before bed, let her back in and didn't even notice she had a mouse in her mouth. When I got out of the shower, I saw the nice surprise she left for us. I screamed like a little girl thinking there were mice in our house. I never thought she brought it in until my father asked if it was possible she did. Since the mouse (RIP) was dead and all wet, we put two and two together.

The next day, I looked outside and saw her with a mouse in her mouth!!!! She must have been digging and found them.