Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy with white gums

maggiemay
September 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I went to a farmers house that is friends with my father and they had just gotten a new beagle puppy from someone i know to not take care of animals well. Theyy werent home but i saw the puppy in the weeds and it looked sickly. I ran to it but when i picked it up it looked like its skin was moving. It was soo sad and its belly was sooo fat with worms.
Being the dog lover that i am i took it with me... so basically i stole the puppy. I gave it a flea bath (it was sunday no trip to the vet was possible, besides the fact that its not my dog) and picked off every flea. I would say there had to be like a 1000 fleas on it. It took me about 2 hrs. Well after that the puppy looked a million times better and i gave it some dewormer i got from a farm supply store.
the thing i am worried about is that i had to give it back so i dropped it off out in the barn but the puppies gums are soo white so is its skin and paws and everything.

Will it be able to make it or am i too late? Should i go steal it back i just dont know I am so worried about the little girl i cant seem to stop thinking about her. When i get off work i am going to go check on her. but...

any advice anyone?

Longblades
September 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Puppy needs to go to the Vet IMMEDIATELY. You may have inadvertently, and being nothing but well-meaning, made it sicker with the flea bath and worm treatment. They should not be given to a sick animal and depending on puppy's age perhaps should not have been given at all. VET, right away.

maggiemay
September 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
well i call my father this morning and he said that the puppy looked much better. i just hope that its not one of those get better then get worse sorta things. but i am definately going to be keeping an eye out for her. I would feel bad taking a poor old farmers dog.

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I agree with Longblades. This is a puppy and their ability to fight off parasites and infection is much less robust than a healthy adult dog's ability. The white gums is likely a sign of severe anemia. The puppy needs to be under the care of a Vet asap to treat the global parasite infestation and the anemia. Could you not ask your father to persuade the farmer to take the puppy to a Vet?

hdme
September 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
You really need to talk to the farmer and if he doesn't agree to take the puppy to the vet, I would offer to take the puppy and find it a good home or call the ASPCA or another association that can come out and intervene. They can talk to the farmer and possibly help him understand the need for medical attention. I know a few farming families and unfortunately, some of the older farmers sometimes feel that animals have the instincts to take care of themselves and if they can't, well, it's just natures way... Please don't leave this puppy with the farmer without trying to get it out of that situation.

maggiemay
September 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I am going out there today to check on the puppy i will talk to them to see what i can do. But i can only do what he will let me. i wil try thanks for your help.

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
How is the puppy today? The other thing I thought of as a possible explanation of the white gums is dehydration.

Love4himies
September 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Good suggestion, hdme, I know that my local SPCA will intervene if an animal needs medical care and the owners won't take it to the vet.