Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs Panic attacks

pacemaker
September 11th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I have a 15 month old female Border Collie X Australian Red Cattle.
She came to us at 3 months of age, and from that time we have taken her to puppy school, the beach, just about every where there are people & other dogs.
About two months ago we went on a RSPCA fund raising walk, with hundreds of people & their dogs. We go on walks to the local park twice a day, where she gets to meet her buddies & have a play, all with no dramas at all.
Over the past two weeks, she has been exhibiting a very strange behaviour, We will be half way through one of our walks (either going to the park or coming home), when she will suddenly become agitated & almost drag me along the ground in her attempt to go home. There have been no drastic changes to our routine, she has not had any scares or trouble with regard to other dogs (who she loves to met) or people, and she is not frightened by traffic noise. She has displayed a slight wariness towards younger children, but not in any aggressive way, just reluctance to go near them, but when told sit & stay, will allow them to pat her.
I just cannot understand what it is, because it does not happen all the time, and there appears to be no specific place on the walk when it happens.
She is very fit & healthy (& intelligent), she has a very good & spoilt rotten home life. I am wondering if anyone else has a dog that has behaved the same way, if they discovered the cause and what that did to modify their dogs behaviour, she is the only dog I ever had that has done this, and it has me stumped.http://www.pets.ca/forum/images/smilies/shrug2.gif
:shrug:

Love4himies
September 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I can't be much help to you as I am not a dog owner, but could be a new scent she is picking up that is making her uncomfortable?

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Is there any recent construction in the area? Perhaps there may be a sudden blast of sound which she can hear that you cannot.