Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog ate baby wipe, garbage, help!

ladydagger27
September 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM
My dog is half basset, half beagle about three or four years old. She has been getting in the garbage just the past few weeks, chewing up diapers etc. I got a diaper pail and then she started chewing up tissues. This morning she vomited an entire baby wipe and messed her entire kennel! She has had diarehha all day, vomited twice more, and continues to have diarehha. She has been given a lot of water to prevent dehydration, but no more food. When should I be concerned, and if this continues another day, should I feed her rice or oatmeal if she'll eat it? Regular dog food? How should I mix her a gruel if that's what I need to do for a day or two? I really don't have much money to take her to a vet right now as I have a disabled child I am on leave with and that has taken up all our resources. Any suggestions would be helpful, I am watching her very closely and taking her out every few hours along with giving her all the water she wants. Thanks.

crazydays
September 11th, 2007, 07:36 AM
There are diaper pails that seal in odor and your dog can't get into--about 90 dollars. Were you able to tell if your dog ate alot of wipes-how did the pail look. If the diarrhea is continuing, go to the Vet-might be an obstruction-who knows. I would at least call your Vet and get advice--you would hate to miss something major. The other thing is that the Vet might want to put the dog on medication-to ward off infection.

mummummum
September 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'd be worried about intestinal blockage and I certainly wouldn't be feeding her anything until the diarrhea has stopped completely. If you believe your dog has eaten anything hard or sharp or long and string-like you really need to get to a Vet asap for xrays.

You may get lucky this time and your dog has eaten only things that may pass without damage. But, if your dog shows signs of distress (lethargy, panting, inability to get comfortable, whimpering, depression etc.) you will need to get to a Vet immediately as it has now become a life-or-death issue.

There are many devices on the market today to completely baby-proof your home that are equally effective with animals.