Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan's Emergency vet visit today....

krdahmer
September 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM
ARGH!!!!:yell::cry:

My poor little MAN!!!!!

Well an exciting morning here... not long after I posted about how he loved to join me in the bathroom in another post, he failed to show in said bathroom and I began to hear yowling in his quiet but alarmingly urgent voice!!!! I had to get dressed (I was in the middle of doing so and peeing in a cup:yuck: as I was off to the lab- now put off till tomorrow) and went on the hunt to see where he was hiding.... found him under the bed clearly in distress. There was a piece of spring (that damned spring I thought I had found all of and disposed of) laying near him on the floor and he kept motioning like he needed to lick his butt. Being under the middle of my king size bed, and me not knowing if it was his legs.... I had a heck of a time maneuvering him out from under and into a carrier (which I had grabbed right away at hearing the yowling). I put my hand out and he slithered over to sniff it then again motioned to his butt, I managed to slide him out, saw that it was not his legs, but that he was still yowling and snipped at me a little, and had poop coming out of his rear.

I don't think I have ever moved so fast or ever been so panicked (except for maybe the first time he hurt his leg and I thought it was broken), I called the vet on the way, barely able to talk, then called hubby and he calmed me down (that man amazes me sometimes- he went through the basics.... is he breathing, he's not bleeding, his eyes are open... take a deep breath... etc etc) . By the time I got there (it's in St. kitts so takes me 5-10 minutes, the only thing that I don't like about that vet office), I had calmed down and they were waiting for him and took him back right away.

I sat in the waiting area and watched the kittens.... TGFK (thank God for kittens).... its hard to have a sense of panick or forboding watching kittens frollick about. Anyhow, the vet came out and said she couldn't see anything on the x-ray or feel anything on examination. They offered to observe him for a few hours to make sure, but she said that since his heart rate had calmed considerably (from over 240 to about 180) it might be a good idea for me to observe him at home (and thus avoid a possible URI for him and my other 5). So here we are sequestered in the office for the afternoon.... he has had a bite to eat and is sprawled out on the floor beside my chair, back to normal it seems.:sleepy:

The vet did mention though that she saw something else on the xray, spurs on his spine, so she is waiting until it dries thoroughly and going to call me back when she has a chance to study it further. :shrug: I had wits enough when I was signing my promisory note (to the tune of $150), to ask about the glucosomine and she said that was probably a good idea, so I picked that up too, and she mentioned that he may need added vitamin A should they be spurs.

And of course even after calming down the paw and shoulder issues totally slipped my mind! :frustrated::rolleyes:

The vet said the most likely culprit, due to the close proximity of the spring piece is that he either got it stuck in his teeth or in his throat:eek: and panicked trying to get it out, scared himself and pooped a bit. So basically he's a panicker just like his mommy!!!:rolleyes:

Seeing as he just had a quick bath and more to eat, I think we are all good and crisis averted yet again! :pray: I'm gonna spend the rest of the day with a close eye on him and hope that that really was all it was!:o

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM
:grouphug: Sometimes it seems neverending, doesn't it? Sigh...

I'm glad Fagan's better now! Nothing wrong with a little panic now and then--it's supposed to keep us young :rolleyes:

:p Ya, right, hazel! :o

krdahmer
September 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
:laughing: It's funny all that excitement, and instead of feeling drained I feel like I could run a 10K!! Must be all the adrenalyn!.... And I haven't even managed to get my breakfast yet!!!!:rolleyes::laughing:

I just talked to my mom, she had the choice between Fagan and his sister (the last two kittens in the litter).... and says she is so glad I kept him, if he was there my mom and dad would have had heart attacks by now with all this excitement!!! :o

HAHA... I forgot the freezer is in here in the office....mmmm frozen cupcakes for breaky it is!!! (Me thinks I earned them today!!! LOL) And Fagan definitely feels better.... he wants cupcake too!

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm glad he's feeling better ! :thumbs up And I know about the adreline rush :frustrated:

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
What a hair-raising tale (pun not intended) ~ you must have been scared witless. I'm glad Fagan's okay ~ poor you!! Phew! Have you calmed down yet or are you still operating on adrenalin rush?

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Glad to hear Fagan is feeling better :thumbs up

Good luck with the spurs on the spine possiblility sure doesn't sound like fun :fingerscr:goodvibes:

:grouphug: remember to breathe :grouphug:

krdahmer
September 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hey... hyperventilating, is technically breathing!:rolleyes::laughing:

He was just fine today, a little annoyed I think that I followed him on every visit to the pooper, but I did see that he had a good one and did not seem to be stressed at all today. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Glad to hear Fagan is doin' better :highfive:

Just so long as you don't pass out with that kinda *breathing* :laughing: :D

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM
In fact he is now laying on my arm... making sure I don't tell you guys anything embarassing!;):laughing::cat:

(Windy is sleeping on the desk too with one eye `on the mouse....:rolleyes:)

Bluedrake
September 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Glad to hear the little guy is doing better! :thumbs up

Forgive my ignorance, but what are spurs? :confused:

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Yes,me too,what are spurs on the spine???
Glad Fagan is ok,what a morning you had:yell:nothing wrong with frozen cupcakes for brekki:laughing:

want4rain
September 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
i think its a deposit of some sort??? not just calcium?? quite painful if i recall. between the joints???

-ashley

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I just started reading about them, apparently some sort of bone growth over a damaged disc. I wouldn't be surprised with all his leg problems etc. I haven't heard from the vet yet, I'm gonna call tomorrow if I still have no word. I started him on the glucosmine yesturday and he seems to be taking that ok, so maybe it'll help at least with his knees.

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
My Rocky is a little limpy walking up stairs,but is otherwise fine,runs and plays etc..like crazy.
Vet suggested painmeds,which I declined,unless I notice he's in real trouble.The vet said he's probably arthritic(he's 11),maybe Glucosamine would help???
Since he is already taking Thyroidmeds,I don't want to give him any more chemicals than needed.
Tell Fagan no more scares for Mommy,ok:pray:

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I believe thats what the glucosamine/chondroiton/MSM is for.... I got one called Tri-Acta... it boasts that it strengthens cartilage and joint structures, rejuvinates muscle tissues and ligaments, and detoxifies the system and reduces inflammation.... which I believe are all arthritis related right? It was expensive, $40 for 40 grams.... but I'm hoping it will last a while with only Fagan taking it. It's a powder you just sprinkle on the food. So far I haven't had a problem getting him to eat it, I put it on treats. I'm really hoping that it helps with his knees.... he's too young to be hobbling around already, he just turned 3 this year. I still think those first few full strength Depomedrol shots have something to do with all this, but with the spurs too now, maybe he is just lacking something in diet or jsut has weak bones maybe.:confused::shrug:

Oh well being gimpy just gets him lots of extra lovins! :lovestruck: And certainly keeps me on my toes! :rolleyes::laughing:

sugarcatmom
September 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
My Rocky is a little limpy walking up stairs,but is otherwise fine,runs and plays etc..like crazy.
Vet suggested painmeds,which I declined,unless I notice he's in real trouble.The vet said he's probably arthritic(he's 11),maybe Glucosamine would help???
Since he is already taking Thyroidmeds,I don't want to give him any more chemicals than needed.
Tell Fagan no more scares for Mommy,ok:pray:

Hi chico2,

I would definitely recommend trying some kind of glucosamine/chondroitin product. I'm a big fan of Cosequin (available from the vet) since it has completely eliminated the limp that Aztec had for several months. It's non-toxic and won't interfer with other meds and can just be mixed in with food (yay - no pilling!). I read somewhere that something like 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 have arthritis, most commonly in the elbows and hips.

chico2
September 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you girls,I don't know why the vet did not suggest that??
He lost about 4lb's when he was diagnosed with HT and it seems mostly his hips and back legs,not much muscletone or fat.
It's hard to see him so skinny(12,7lb's)I am used to him beeing my big strong 16lb tabby:sad:
However,he's still full of energy,eats and drinks very well.

krdahmer
September 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I know what you mean Chico, Palomine lost so much weight so fast when he went off his food.... it's still so strange to see him skinny, he used to be such a brute. But he is healthy and happy and that is whats important.:D:grouphug:

My vet didn't suggest it either for Fagan, I brought it up from hearing about it here from the dog people....:dog::lovestruck:

chico2
September 13th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Dahmer,did you get the Tri-Acta from the vet too??
SCM,I'll check out the Cosequin too,thank's!!

krdahmer
September 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Ya I got it there, I imagine you can get the people kind, but this one had the doses by weight for animals on the side and the teeny measuring spoon. I usually do get most of my holistic type stuff from the vet just to be safe and sure i am getting proper doses.

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM
We use Cosequin DS for some of the dogs. Two have mild elbow dysplasia and the other two have (coincidentally) spondyllosis--which is fusing (by spurs) of the vertebrae.

The bony spurs seem to be fairly common in athletic dogs--all the flexing of the back as they run, jump, leap after frisbees, etc, seems to promote their formation. Eventually, the spurs bridge the gaps between the vertebrae and the backbone is fused at that spot. If there is enough bony growth, it can interfere with the nerves that exit the spinal column through holes in the vertebrae.

Spurs are the body's response to instability or damage to the skeletal system. They aren't necessarily painful unless the spurs encroach on the nerves or if the spurs are in response to damage (in which case, it's often the damage that causes the pain, not the spurs). Neither of our spondyllosis girls seem to be in any pain at all--the bridging showed up on x-rays taken for something else and was noticed 'accidentally'.

At any rate--we've had great success with the Cosequin--IMO, well worth the money (and it is pricey)...

krdahmer
September 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
:frustrated::yell:OMG... I was just at Petsmart and they have the same thing I got at the vets for $40.... for $15.99.... I know where I will get my next batch for sure!!!! I should have known better...:rolleyes:

P.S. Fagan is still good:thumbs up, but I noticed Buddy has self groomed himself another booboo under his armpit:sad:, so I am starting him on Fagan's holistic mix too. I don't want to get them any more depo shots. Too risky.:o

chico2
September 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Dahmer,I am going to check our PetSmart,maybe they have it too,or Ren's Pet Depot,my regular food supplier.
I take Glucosamine myself,together with tons of calcium,vitamine D etc..I have Osteo-arthrities(sp) in my spine and my wrists.
Chico used to over-groom himself when we first got Vinnie,his tummy used to be bald,but now he's established that he is the boss and he has a nice furry tummy..

krdahmer
September 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Thats funny about Chico, Fagan has his bald boobie (the fur won't grow back he's had it sore so many times...), and I've noticed that while he has been doing better with the grooming he is also becoming more assertive with the big tuxedo boys, he's even been challenging Palomine more and Palomine is our 'junkyard' cat. He fights hard and doesn't like not winning. I guess with adding all those cats in such a short period of time (I went from 2 to six in under a year and a half) they need a lot of time to adjust and establish their own chain of command so to speak.
Sorry to hear about your back issues... I know that a sore back can be very debilitating at times. Does the glucosamine help you? ( I have sciatica, and often have lower back pain cause of my size.)

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Dahmer,it's in my lower back too,I have a clear curve in the spine,the pain is not too bad,comes and goes.
Maybe without the Clucosamine it would be worse,don't really know..getting old,I guess,although I try to ignore it:shrug: