Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting the puppies used to being on their own during the day

clm
September 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hubby starts his new job in a week. Unfortunately for the first little while (I'm not sure how long and won't know until after his first day), we'll both have to leave the house the same time every morning. He's been home with the pups since we got them. Baxter makes a horrible fuss anytime we leave the house together, always has, Bentley could care a less :laughing:
Anyway, one thing to be gone a couple of hours, another to be gone for 9 or 10 hours. They're both fine housebreaking wise, they can hold it for that length of time. It's just the puppy energy and Baxters fussiness that's got me worried, so this week I've started them and hubby on their new routine so they'll have a week to start to get used to the new schedules.
Showers must be taken the night before, no more time in the morning for that luxury.
I get up at 4, make coffee, feed cats, aquarium fish and cockatiel, get dressed, wake up hubby at 4:30. He's up and gets dressed, we take puppies out for a walk at 4:45, back home by 5:30, prepare puppies breakfast and then let them romp in the backyard while we sit and have another coffee and feed the pond fish, then off to work at 6.

Poor hubby had a problem with what to do with himself since there's nothing open at 6:00, so I told him to grab a paper and sit at Tims and have a coffee until home depot opens.
He did good he stayed out until noon, so they were alone for 6 hours. He's going to increase it every day. No problems, they were fine when he got home. Baxter made a fuss, but he ignored him until he quieted down.

They'll be left alone for 10 hours for at least the first week. Hubby's hours aren't always going to be this, it's just for the initial training period I think.
The sooner he starts a little later in the morning the better for everyone.:rolleyes:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
It sounds like you have things well in hand...er paw... :D

Good for Baxter and Bentley for being such good little tykes! :highfive: Baxter will adjust--and he'll be so pleasantly surprised when the shift changes and hubby can be there again in the mornings! :dog: :cloud9: :dog:

4 a.m., eh? You get up earlier than hazel! :eek: We're slugabeds like your hubby--we lie in till 4:30 on most days! :laughing:

CyberKitten
September 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I agree- sounds like you have it all well planned and organized. They should do just fine - you could always have someone check on them during the day and take them for a walk. That's what I always did when I had a diog and was living alone and even when with someone and one of u could not be home for lunch.

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I can't think of anything I would do differently. You will just have to do your best to make sure you've puppy-proofed the house before you leave (hide the chewables!!! :D) and play it by ear to see what comes up (hopefully nothing!). I leave the radio on for my dawgs ~ not sure if it does them any good. :shrug: