Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy worms help

MJKOVATCH
September 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
We just bought a lab/ shep mix seven week old puppy on sept. 8, 2007 from a farmer. The farmer gave our pup its second booster and a deworming in front of us before we left. He said we need a booster and another deworming in four weeks. I noticed roundworms in the puppy stool. i read that the worms will show for several weeks after the dewormer- is this true? Should I take the pup to a vet now or wait for its next booster and dewormer? Also another big concern we have is: we have a seven year old daughter and a seven year old lab/mastiff mix is it okay for them to be around our new pup with these worm issues. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and giving us advice.

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Considering that your child and another dog might be at risk, a call to your vet is probably in order. See what s/he advises about a deworming schedule and the risk to your lab/mastiff. A call to a medical clinic (human, not veterinarian :D) can probably get you some answers as to the risk to your daughter.

We're real worriers, so we routinely find ourselves making calls with questions like these. :o It might take them a day to get back to us, but it doesn't cost anything and may save you some hassle in the future. :thumbs up

Meanwhile, congratulations on the new addition! Got any pictures you could share with us? :D

Dr Lee
September 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Considering that your child and another dog might be at risk...

Some interesting stats:

Over 100'000 people get roundworm infections in the US
Of these over 750 of these infections have migration to the eye which can in some cases lead to permanent vision impairment.

So I agree - a vet visit is a great idea. :pawprint:

maggiemay
September 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM
when deworming a dog you should always do away with all the stool immediately after the puppy illiminates to keep from giving worms to other animals and even people in your household. You can buy common dewormer at most farm stores and the dosages are on the bottle. although its best to go to a vet, this is a good way just to keep up on animals. It would be best to go to a doctor to get your little girl tested just to make sure.
But deffinately keep a look out for the puppy's doo doo to check for worms. And dispose of its feces.

good luck to ya!