Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

On with the ehrlichia battle - milk thistle?

ChrissyBz
September 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Tried to take the dogs to the vet on Monday but they were closed from Saturday through Wednesday. First because of illness and then the Hurricane which never came. Finally made it on Thurday and all tests came back normal Friday except for Cassie's which Showed elevated Liver Enzymes (over 1100) her platelets were up which was good news.The vet thinks it may be the propranolol overdose from last month, but I think it may be the Doxycycline or the Ehrlichia. Maybe a combination of all three. She told me to bring her back in a month for tests. This seems like a long time to wait. In the meantime I've put them all on Milk Thistle & Vitamin C t.i.d. along with meals. I was going to give The other 5 M.T. & Vit C for a week and Cassie for 2. Anybody here ever used Milk Thistle?

badger
September 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I've never used it but if you google milk thistle dog, this is only one of many sites that come up:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1448&articleid=2698

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I've used it myself as a liver detox/ function support and found that the medications I was taking at the time actually worked better and where I had been previously quite ill on the treatment, with the MT I had had more of an overall feeling of wellness during and after treatment.