Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam to the emergency

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Nothing life threatening. But when I came back this afternoon, Sam ran in the house and bumped his paw on something , I didn't see. But I saw a bit of blood. I cleaned his paw , didn't see anything wrong , put flour on it to stop the bleeding. Wrapped his paw and put a doggy boot. I was waiting tomorrow morning to go to my vet. Later he went outside , lost the doggy boot , came back inside and there I found his whole nail. By 9:30 it was bleeding like I never seen a paw bleed. So off to the emergency we went. He left puddles of blood all over the clinic (and my house and car) It broke from inside and he lost the nail AND the "elbow" (small bone that holds the nail) After they finished with him , I heard a vet tech say : wow , looks like we just had the Texas chainsaw massacre in here. :frustrated:

So now : has to be confine for the next 2 weeks, no jumping,walking , no nothing. Antibiotics for the next week. And I had a choice to leave him there until tomorrow evening or bring him home and not go to work tomorrow as I would have to check up on the bleeding. Can't touch the bandage for the next 24 hours . But if it bleeds to much I have to change it. So yes , I will be home tomorrow. My poor Sam. :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM
aww poor Sam :grouphug: & you :grouphug:

didn't they mention any reason why this might happen? just hitting his foot on something sounds very minor to cause all that

:goodvibes: :grouphug:

wdawson
September 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Nothing life threatening. But when I came back this afternoon, Sam ran in the house and bumped his paw on something , I didn't see. But I saw a bit of blood. I cleaned his paw , didn't see anything wrong , put flour on it to stop the bleeding. Wrapped his paw and put a doggy boot. I was waiting tomorrow morning to go to my vet. Later he went outside , lost the doggy boot , came back inside and there I found his whole nail. By 9:30 it was bleeding like I never seen a paw bleed. So off to the emergency we went. He left puddles of blood all over the clinic (and my house and car) It broke from inside and he lost the nail AND the "elbow" (small bone that holds the nail) After they finished with him , I heard a vet tech say : wow , looks like we just had the Texas chainsaw massacre in here. :frustrated:

So now : has to be confine for the next 2 weeks, no jumping,walking , no nothing. Antibiotics for the next week. And I had a choice to leave him there until tomorrow evening or bring him home and not go to work tomorrow as I would have to check up on the bleeding. Can't touch the bandage for the next 24 hours . But if it bleeds to much I have to change it. So yes , I will be home tomorrow. My poor Sam. :sad:

thank god it was not a life threatning issue...poor baby....just suck him up....he will love the attention:D

wdawson
September 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
now i'm gone

shredy
September 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Frenchy, I am so sorry about Sam! Ouch! :sick: Give him kisses for me :grouphug:

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Frenchy I'm so sorry ~ that's AWFUL.

And so unusual. I guess the vet didn't have any thoughts as to why he also lost the bone. :confused:

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
And so unusual. I guess the vet didn't have any thoughts as to why he also lost the bone. :confused:

It's just our bad luck , story of my life :frustrated:but I do have a ceramic step from the dining room to the kitchen and it does have a metal moulding. I do hurt my toes on it sometimes. I guess Sam didn't lift his paw high enough. They did a full body check up on him , they said he had lost a lot of blood. :sad:

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Frenchy, I am so sorry about Sam! Ouch! :sick: Give him kisses for me :grouphug:

He did get lots of kisses from me at the clinic. I had to walk to the back with him , he didn't want to go with the vet tech , kept turning around to look at me , vet tech told me he looked very attached to me , of course ! He's my baby! And we help ourselves to the cookies on the counter while I was paying $$$$ I hate emergency clinics :frustrated:

jiorji
September 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM
awww poor Sam
hugs to him:cloud9:

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Maybe he caught the nail tip in between the molding and the cermic tile. Perhaps the molding has lifted a little in places ~ might be worth a check. If it has, you can hammer it back in gently with a thick towel folded up laid over the molding.

Ya ~ I know your luck. I have a touch of it myself. :grouphug::goodvibes:

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
you can hammer it back in gently

Right now I will keep away from hammers. :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2007, 01:28 AM
good idea @ least until you don't have the urge to smash the stair ;)

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 01:35 AM
good idea @ least until you don't have the urge to smash the stair ;)

In the condition my house is in , I would smash more than a stair :cool: and with my luck , would hurt myself in the process :frustrated:

At least one good news : Sam has lost 10 pounds ! :thumbs up (I hope it's not because all the blood he lost :laughing::sad:)

I know he will be allright, but the cost of that visit , and all the after care (has to be taking outside on a leash for minimum walk) and if I have to change the bandage tomorrow and he has to wear a cone for the next week and the pills and getting him confine to one room and what if I take out the bandage tomorrow and it starts to bleed again .... :yell: I'm having a doggy burn out. And I'm suppose to take care of my new foster :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM
:grouphug:

Good that Sam has shed (:laughing:) a few lbs, maybe he wanted some special attention suchas Bailey w/the eyelid sx :o

Did they not suture or cauterized the wound? {hmm though maybe not in hopes the nail will regrow} bleeding hopefully will be minimal as long as he is not too bouncy - lucky he's an older boy :D

Trying to look on the bright side: it will give you an extra day to familiarize the new foster to the house, the dogs & the cats
Plus not being @ work worrying about Sam all day is good

:goodvibes: for a great day tomorrow :fingerscr no problems

clm
September 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Poor Frenchy. Nothing bleeds like those nails for sure. I hope you have a good day off with Sam today.

Cindy

Rottielover
September 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM
How is sam today, has the bleeding stopped. Just out of curiosity, since the whole nail is gone, did they offer to do an xray, to make sure nothing was fractured as well.
I went through that whole scary ordeal with Harley, I know how you are feeling. But I am glad for him it is only 2 weeks instead of 2 months.
Kisses to Sam from Auntie Karen....
I will see what I can do, Maybe I can pop by sometime this evening to help you relieve the stress.

breeze
September 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I saw this the tittle to this thread and my heart went into my mouth, was scared of opening it. but I did anyway

Poor Sam and You to have to go through this.. I am glad he will be ok and that it is nothing serious....
do you ever wonder why is it that injured nails bleed sooooo much?? even when you clip nails and you miss there is blood everywher :eek:
I am sure Sam will love the attation he will get today, and you can rest for a much needed day off..

Big hugs and kisses from me to Sam and you..

:grouphug::grouphug:

crazydays
September 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Frenchy- sorry to hear about Sam. They don't suture it because it has to heal from the inside out. if they did it would most likely cause infection. My Cagney had a swimming injury with her pad. She must have jammed a toenail between rocks and doing so she damaged the toe ligament. That toenail won't sit like it should. Its longer and points upward. She didn't loose the toenail. I wish sometimes she had because it gets caught on everything!!!!
Poor Sam and you-- when bleeding occurs with your own dog it is very stressful.

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I had a hell of a night :sad: At 3 am I was doing laundry and cleaning the carpet in my bedroom, who was full of blood , my bed too. He was confine to my bedroom, the bandage filled out with blood very quickly , the carpet had all these bloody paw prints , and then , while I was preparing the crate to put him into it , he jumped on my bed ..... I really tought about going back to the emergency , but I was freaking out too much , couldn't drive the 40 kms to get there. So I put lots of towells and blanckets in the crate. Went to bed at 4 , woke up every hour and checked on him, got up at 7. Change the bandage , the bleeding is much better this morning, but it still bleeding. Fed him and he is now in the bathroom. :sad: In the mean time I do have to take care of my new foster , an older guy who has problem getting up and do stairs ... he is couching a bit this morning , plese pray that it's not kennel cough !!! He is very sweet tough.

Love4himies
September 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM
:grouphug: for you, frenchy, Sam and your new foster. Sounds like you have your hands full.

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
:grouphug: Deep breaths, Frenchy. :grouphug:

Sometimes it seems like sh** all happens at once, doesn't it? Good that Sam isn't bleeding quite so hard this morning.

If you are still having trouble getting blood out, the best thing I've ever found is called Simple Solution. It's a urine deodorizer--we stocked up on it when we started getting puppies. Turns out it's dynamite for taking out blood stains, too! :thumbs up It's a product put out by The Bramton Company... Works on dried blood, too.

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Jeepers Frenchy, coughing too? Better check your back in the mirror for a "Kick Me" sign huh? :o Things can only get better kiddo ~ and we all know that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train!

Just a suggestion, if you have any liver in the house, Sam might appreciate a little iron boost having lost all that blood.

jiorji
September 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
omg Frenchy if my pet my bleeding i'd be really queezy not being able to control my self enough to change bandages. You're doing so well!:thumbs up

I hope Sam recovers fast:cloud9:

krdahmer
September 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Poor Sam and poor you Frenchy!!! :sad::grouphug: What a night! I hope the bleeding stops soon, and that your foster just has a little tickle in his throat and no kennel cough!

When it rains it pours, so they say....:rolleyes: :o

ancientgirl
September 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Poor Sam! He must really have whacked himself good. I'm glad it's not life threatening though.

I know that can be very frightening. But you can both relax now.

Sam needs some extra doggy treats.:dog:

clm
September 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Poor Sam. I know when I had bad bleeding bouts from different accidents (I'm super clumbsy), I've used ice or ice water to get the bleeding to stop. I had to get stitches each time, (hubby made me go, I wouldn't have), but the time I sliced my arm, I just kept it in ice water for 15 or 20 minutes and the bleeding stopped. My forehead (hit myself in the head with a 2X4) :laughing:, I really did that, that gash was really bad and I put a bag of ice on it for 20 minutes and the bleeding stopped. Stayed stopped for 5 hours before hubby came home from work and made me go get stitches.....I had told him I'd hurt myself and asked him to stop and pick up some bandaids on the way home....the look on his face when he saw that gash was too funny :laughing:

Cindy

krdahmer
September 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Poor Sam and poor you Frenchy!!! :sad::grouphug: What a night! I hope the bleeding stops soon, and that your foster just has a little tickle in his throat and no kennel cough!

When it rains it pours, so they say....:rolleyes: :o

:laughing: DId I ever stick my foot in my mouth for that wonderful statement.... I was off to the emergency myself with Fagan not 20 minutes later!!!!:eek:

TeriM
September 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Awww poor Sam :sad:.

Hugs to you and Sam :grouphug: and I'm hoping better things are gonna happen for you soon Frenchy :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:.

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Better check your back in the mirror for a "Kick Me" sign huh? :o

Nope , I checked , nothing on my back. I know what it is . It's a voodoo thing. Someone put a curse on me years ago :yell: how can someone hate me so much ? Me ? I'm adorable ! :shrug: :rolleyes:

Hazel , a vet tech I know told me to use peroxyde to get the blood stains out of the carpets , it worked :thumbs up in my car too !

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
:laughing: DId I ever stick my foot in my mouth for that wonderful statement.... I was off to the emergency myself with Fagan not 20 minutes later!!!!:eek:

oh no ! :sad:

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
My forehead (hit myself in the head with a 2X4) :laughing:, I really did that,
Cindy

OUCH ! You should leave the renos to your hubby ! :D

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM

I hope Fagan is okay !?!

How is Sam's foot tonight Frenchy?

Frenchy
September 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
M3X , I don't like meat so no , I didn't have any liver at home ! :yuck: (should I still get some if he's ok ? sardines won't do ? )

I took of Sam's bandage , I could see it hadn't bled all day :thumbs up so I'll do what the vet said and will leave it bandage free. He still has to wear his cone and be confine to a room tough. :shrug:

Smiley14
September 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Oh, I missed this thread before now! Poor Sam! My Max :rip: did that one time on my parents old metal grate stairs, lost part of the bone as well. Couldn't believe the amount of blood! :eek: I hope Sam is feeling a bit better today. :grouphug:

Tommysmom
September 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Awww, poor Sam... and poor Frenchy! It must have been so darn scary seeing that much blood:sad:. Give him extra big hugs from us:grouphug:.

coppperbelle
September 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I am glad the bleeding has stopped. That must have been really scary. How did they stop the bleeding?

By the way I forgot to tell you that Ben does cough in the morning and at night sometimes. I don't think it is kennel cough, geesh, I hope not, my dogs are not vaccinated. I asked the person where I picked him up if there were any cases of kennel cough recently and she told me there was only the odd case.

I just e-mailed you the numbers for the other foster home and suggest you take her up on her offer. You have your hands full with Sam right now.

L

CyberKitten
September 10th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Awwwwwww Frency - so sorry about Sam. I hope he'll be OK - and you will be too. So much to cope with!! Here's a hug, I hope that helps a little bit! :grouphug::grouphug:

otter
September 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Poor Sam (and Frenchy)
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: from me and Molly... she's very concerned about her bud'
I hope everything is improving rapidly for all.

Ben's cough could just be from stress - his heart might be a bit stressed and that can lead to coughing (I think:confused:)

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Nope , I checked , nothing on my back. I know what it is . It's a voodoo thing. Someone put a curse on me years ago :yell: how can someone hate me so much ? Me ? I'm adorable ! :shrug: :rolleyes:

Hazel , a vet tech I know told me to use peroxyde to get the blood stains out of the carpets , it worked :thumbs up in my car too !

I tried peroxide first...on our dark forest green wool carpet at the old house... Unfortunately, it took out the dark forest green color, too! :eek: :laughing: I'm glad it worked for you! Lots cheaper than the simple solution! :o

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Good to hear that Sam's toe has stopped bleeding! :thumbs up What a relief, eh? :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
So glad to hear Sam is getting better throughout the day :highfive:

:grouphug::goodvibes:

shredy
September 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Frenchy, I am glad to hear that Sam is feelign better. Now I feel guilty for getting annoyed at Ruby throwing up all over our carpet while we were dog sitting. :o There is one thing I have found that will get blood out of fabrics, it is a product called quik n' brite. It is a pink goop (enyzme cleaner) and if you wet the fabric and rub it in, leave it for a day or so then wash, the blood comes out. It works on all sorts of tough stains.
https://www.quicknbrite.com/order.asp

Frenchy
September 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
How did they stop the bleeding?

Franctly I don't think they did . All they could do is to put a bandage on and wait and :pray: that it stops. It was full of blood again 2 hours after I come home.

Sam is bandage free since yesterday 5:00 pm and no bleeding so far ! :thumbs up (he looks so sad with the cone tough :sad: ) and only 2 weeks ago I had Bailey banging his cone in the back of my knees :frustrated: :laughing: now Sam , witch a much bigger one :eek:

Frenchy
September 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, it took out the dark forest green color, too! :eek: :laughing:

She told me that could happen. It was still a bit wet yesterday so I don't know what it will look like once it's all dry , there was so many spots with blood on it , I might do the rest of the carpet with peroxyde to make it fit :laughing:

breeze
September 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
How long does he have to wear the cone??

Better find some heavy duty bandages for your legs Frenchy :D other wise you will be black and blue by the time this is all over..

Frenchy
September 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
How long does he have to wear the cone??

I think they said 2 weeks but it's ridiculous to me. I will take it off after one week. Same time for the antibiotics. 2 weeks without walks/exercise ....

otter
September 11th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Pooor Sam - no walks, no exercise = lots of :grouphug:s right?

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
lots of :grouphug:s right?

always :D:cloud9:

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Frenchy, I'm sorry I missed this post but I did see the TJT one. :o I know nails bleed alot and I would have freaked with all the blood too. :grouphug: I'm glad that Sam has stopped now and hope he has a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

clm
September 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Poor Sam and poor you. Gonna be a long 2 weeks I'm sure.
How is he today Frenchy?

Cindy

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I would have freaked with all the blood too.

Good thing it wasn't mine because I would have past out ! :laughing: I guess it's the same thing for people and their kids , you are on adrenaline and keep it together to do the right thing.

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Poor Sam and poor you. Gonna be a long 2 weeks I'm sure.
How is he today Frenchy?

Cindy

Hi Cindy , Sam is doing good , he gets to spend the day sleeping on my bed while I'm at work. His "toe" is a bit swollen but it's not infected , thanks to the antibiotics. The hardest part is having him wear the cone :yell:

And he had liver :yuck: for supper as M3X recommended.

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Yum! If hazel had known, she would have dropped in unexpectedly for dinner! She loves liver! :thumbs up :cloud9:

Glad to hear he's not bleeding any more, Frenchy, but I think I'd wait at least 10 days before removing the cone. I think if he licks it before it's fully healed (10 to 14 days) it could start bleeding again.

Meanwhile, if you put Vicks on your bruises, they'll heal faster. :D And most dogs don't like the smell, so maybe he'll stop boppin' the backs of your legs! :dog:

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Yum! If hazel had known, she would have dropped in unexpectedly for dinner! She loves liver! :thumbs up :cloud9:

You're not serious ! It's the first time in my life I ever bought the stuff. And the only one already package was pork liver. I hope it's ok ? For Sam I mean :laughing:

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
hazel likes beef liver or chicken liver...she didn't even know that you could buy pork liver! I have no idea if it's okay for dogs... :shrug:

Yum.... Liver and onions, fried first, lightly floured, then add water and steam till tender! :cloud9: hubby hates it so I haven't had any for quite a while. But it's almost better than chocolate! :eek:hazel, are you nuts! What are you saying?!

:o Okay...so maybe not chocolate...but almost better than baked chicken with savory rice (also yummy!) :D

Frenchy
September 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
But it's almost better than chocolate!

blasphemous ! :yell:

http://bestsmileys.com/notlistening/2.gif

clm
September 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Yum.... Liver and onions, fried first, lightly floured, then add water and steam till tender! :cloud9: hubby hates it so I haven't had any for quite a while. But it's almost better than chocolate! :eek:hazel, are you nuts! What are you saying?!

:o Okay...so maybe not chocolate...but almost better than baked chicken with savory rice (also yummy!) :D

You must have been hungry when you wrote this :laughing:

Cindy loves liver too, and just like Hazel, Cindy's hubby hates it. Frenchy you don't know what you're missing. I would think any kind of liver would be good for Sam. Even cooking up some chicken livers to toss in his food would be a tasty treat too.

Cindy

Frenchy
September 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
After seeing the price i paid for the liver yesterday , I would love to love it ! It's so cheap ! I have 2 big servings for $2.00. But no , it's hard enough for me to eat just regular meat , you won't make me eat that stuff :yuck:

You guys know this is liver right ? That used to belong in an animal's body .... :yuck: :yell:

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Frenchy ~ would he "worry" his foot if you put a dog boot on him while you're at work instead of the cone ?

otter
September 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I picture Sam wearing a little red rain bootie

Frenchy
September 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM

:laughing: those are so cute ! But i have been told to not put anything on his paw. He is cone free while I'm home , and week end is coming so I will be able to check up on him. Him being older helps a lot too , he doesn't run around everywhere, I do have to stop him when he and Nelly are playing but one more week and we will be ok ! :thumbs up

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM

:sorry::offtopic: Hey ! Those are pretty smart ! Where'd you find those Otter? I want a pair!

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
: But i have been told to not put anything on his paw.

Frenchy, for my own edumecation, is that to keep the air circulating on it (discouraging warm moist conditions which can be a breeding ground for infection) or to keep all pressure off the nail and toe (encouraging good cirulation and tissue repair) ?

Frenchy
September 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
It's for both M3X. They told me as soon as it stopped bleeding , to stop the bandages (ideally 24 hours after his injurie) to let it dry (he can't lick it either) it will heal faster. And if he has something that keeps rubbing on it , it would start bleeding again. No danger for infection as he is on antibiotics.

mummummum
September 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah ~ that makes alot of sense Frenchy. Only one more week of Le Conehead to go :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Yay, Sam! Just one more week to go, buddy! :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I second the Yay Sam!

Sam now remember NO LICKIES :D there's a good boy :dog:

Frenchy
September 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I second the Yay Sam!

Sam now remember NO LICKIES :D there's a good boy :dog:

Sam is such a velcro dog , always beside me. So I can hear if he licks himself (big tongue , big slurp !)

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. It's easier than I tought , hasn't bled at all since Monday ! woohoo !