Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a thought i had

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
just a thought i had today.

if you are a responsible pet owner,believe in spay/neuter,have all shots up to date and do at least basic training.

what is the real difference between a free to good home dog and a rescue...if the free to good home dogs are not given away...they end up where....in rescue right? or the pound:sad: so the rescues have free to good home dogs really.....don't get me wrong i think all rescues and shelters do great work and i am not putting them down in any way....just a thought i had.

Frenchy
September 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
what is the real difference between a free to good home dog and a rescue...

You're half right :D yes we do get these dogs. But if you adopt straight from the owner , you don't always know what you're getting into. And will have to get the dog vet checked , spay/neuter/vaccinated if he's not. With a rescue , you'll know the dog's temperament and you won't have to take him to the vet for a while.

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
but being a responseble owner i would do all the vet thins anyway....and regardless i would still go to the vet for a health check anyway....even if it came from a shelter/rescue

Frenchy
September 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
but being a responseble owner i would do all the vet thins anyway....and regardless i would still go to the vet for a health check anyway....even if it came from a shelter/rescue

Have you seen something you're not telling us ? ;)

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
no....i'm not crusin the free to good home ads.....i did see the bostons....gone...there is a chi in TO humane....:laughing: the wife and daughter love those....i have my eye on a real dog though:laughing:...

Frenchy
September 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
....i have my eye on a real dog though:laughing:...

pfffttt :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Well you could get them the Chi & someone else for you :D I mean you were going for 2 before so why not 2 now? :D

Hogansma
September 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I think the main difference is that if the dog is free, it can be impossible to truely tell if it is going to a good home. Who knows what the person wants this dog for. Some cultures even eat dogs, some strange people like to do harm to animals. If you have to pay a fee through a shelter or rescue, you're more likely to avoid some of these people. It's a way to filter out the weirdos. With a shelter dog you get the free vet visit that you would normally pay for anyway if you got the dog for free if you're a good pet owner.

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I see your point Wayne but the thing is the Shelter / Rescue having had a health check done is going to present a dog with health or behaviour problems honestly whereas a "free-to-good-home" isn't likely to be forthcoming with those details. After all the bottom-line is they want the dog and it's problems gone.

jiorji
September 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
there is a chi in TO humane....:laughing: the wife and daughter love those....i have my eye on a real dog though:laughing:...

oh heck i hear they give those away for free....like a bonus or something:laughing:

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
:laughing:....go look at the real dog in the tjt:laughing:

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I see your point Wayne but the thing is the Shelter / Rescue having had a health check done is going to present a dog with health or behaviour problems honestly whereas a "free-to-good-home" isn't likely to be forthcoming with those details. After all the bottom-line is they want the dog and it's problems gone.

i hear ya....