Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Traveling with Pregnant Yorkie

Donna'sYorkies
September 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM
i have a question if my dog is pregnant can i take her on a trip 22-23 days before she delivers she is due on or around oct 22 and we have a trip oct 1-14 can she travel or should i leave her home with my daughters one more question my daughters are coming up the weekend of the 5th should they Bring her i dont have to take her to the sitters(w/lots of YORKIES) HELP!:shrug::pawprint:

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Some dogs are more easily stressed than others and stress can lead to spontaneous abortion. Due date isn't the only factor to consider here.

Per your itinery description you would be returning 8 days before her due date. Are you certain of the conception date? What do your Vet and Breeder Mentor think about taking her along?

You don't indicate your mode of travel or how well your dog travels. Personally, I would rule out the trip for your dog if your mode of travel is by air no matter how well she travels in a plane. What will she do while you are at your destination? Again, you have to think about how well she does in strange environments and how she will react being pregnant in a
strange environment away from everything familiar, possibly separated for long periosds from you and with a different schedule.

And I'm sorry, I don't understand your second question at all.

Donna'sYorkies
September 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Sissy ( my dog)would be traveling by car it takes 4 hours to get there she loves car rides ,then we are on a fishing trip so when we are out fishing she would be back at the cabin to have the( very large cabin )to her self i just didnt no if a long car ride would hurt her i would think that taking her for a couple of days up north would be better than taking her to a sitters house with lots of dogs because it would be with pple she didnt no and alot of strange dogs i havent ask my vet yet :pawprint:

Love4himies
September 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I don't think I would leave a pregnant dog with a dog sitter, I would think much too stressful on the poor gal.

Also to consider, is their a good vet in the area just incase she has a medical emergency?

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I don't know :o... it seems pretty bad timing to take a trip if you ask me.

That she likes car rides is one thing but will she like a four hour car ride while pregnant? And being stuck in a cabin while everyone is out fishing for hours doesn't sound like much fun and may be unsafe if she gets into medical distress while alone for hours at a time. There's also the possibility for your dog to go into early labour or have a related medical issue requiring emergency treatment ~ is there a Vet Clinic nearby that you can get to easily and quickly?

If this trip is something you cannot possibly reschedule could you not ask one of your daughters to take care of your dog while you are away rather than board her with either a dog sitter or your Vet ?