Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is LitterLocker really that effective?

boomerang257
May 19th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I live in an apt all these time, so disposing off litter is never a big concern. However, I am going to be a house owner soon, and for the first time! :D I am currently researching on what will be the best ways for me to dispose off litter, especially the poo. I would love to hear your experiences, advice and tips on how the litter clumps and poo can be most effectively disposed off, considering the once a week garbage collection.

My wife and I are thinking of doing this:
- for litter clumps, we will have them collected in a tight-lid garbage bin and have it cleared once a week when the garbage truck comes around.
- for poo (in litter clumps too I guess), we are thinking of getting the LitterLocker that seems to be quite popular as of late, I mean on TV. It claimed that we could use up to 2 months before we need to dispose them altogether, WITHOUT ODOUR!

Any comments, thoughts, advice, tips? In particular, I would like to hear from current owners of the LitterLocker on whether it is really as good as they've said on TV.

Thanks!!!

- boomerang

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I would love to know about the Litter Locker too! It's fairly expensive and I'd like to hear if it's effective or not. I'm getting fed up with 3 stinky litterboxes!

Congrats on the house.:)

boomerang257
May 19th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Yep, its not cheap indeed. PetCetera is currently having a sale , its 50% off the original price! Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.petcetera.ca/flyer/searchnext.do?aid=2&noc=14&ln=6&kw=null

However, I would like to know if its really effective before buying it. The locker itself may not be very expensive with the 50% off, but the custom-made replacement bags are quite expensive, per roll you are looking at close to $20. As claimed, per roll should last for 2 months of usage.

chico2
May 19th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I really have no problem with odors,every morning I take out poop and pee-balls,put it in a plasic-bag,tie it airtight and it goes in the garbage-bin.
I have more of a problem with emtying the pans once a week,the garbage-bags get really heavy.I am almost expecting the garbage-men to ask,what the heck I have in there :D
I wish someone could come up with a way to recycle cat-litter,there is an awful lot of litter going to the dump.
The idea of keeping poop in a container for a month,does not sound all that great,but if anyone tries it,let me know.With three cats,that would be tons of poop :eek:

Kona Dawg
May 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
if you scoop the poo and pee balls out, put em exactly where you put your own, down the toilet. Its the best place for it as it will get propery treated.
when you do a full litter change you will still put it out with the normal garbage but as long as you regularly keep on top of whats happening in there you should be able to scheduale the changes to coinside with garbage day.

Here in Ottawa the N.C.C. actually ask's this of people who are out walking there dogs. Technically its illegal to put animal waste in this cities garbage cans.

just a thought..

boomerang257
May 19th, 2004, 10:54 PM
We have certainly consider the option of flushing away the poop and pee balls, like what we do as you said it, but I'm wondering if this will cause any problem in the long run. For example, will the toilet choke on the build-ups from the litter that may not be completely flushed away with the poop?

Kona Dawg
May 20th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I don't have any litter myself for this experiment, so I'll have to ask for someone here who does, to do a litter...er... little experiment for us.

I'm thinking that litter will actually break down in water quite well.

take a spoonful size bit of clean litter(use dirty if you want) and drop it into a glass of water and leave it over night, in the morning check it out.

As for it clogging the toilet, I don't think you'll have any issue's there, as long as you use common sense and don't fill the tank to the rim with the clumps before flushing.

One additional thought, its probably not a good idea to flush litter clumps if you have a septic system, as I could see it wreeking havoc on the weeping bed down the road.

chico2
May 20th, 2004, 07:18 AM
No,you cannot put clumping litter fritters down the toilet,it could end up costing you $$$$$ on a plumber.The only thing you can do is to put it in a bag,tie it tightly and it will not smell and then into a garbage-bag.I have a small shed outside where I keep my garbage-bags until pick-up day.

mona_b
May 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Anita is sooooooo right.You can't flush that stuff down the toilet.It even says that on the bag.It will turn into a hard clay and clog it up.And yes,it will cost you lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$....

I don't use the clumping litter.And after reading about it I'm glad I don't..

I do what you do Anita.... And dad does the same thing with Phoenix's box too....And I do that with the dogs poop.... :D

I have seen something like that at my Pet Value store.But I didn't really look into it.I guess when I go back I will ask them for some feedback on it..... :D

Catt31
May 20th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I looked into the Litter Locker too...but I think its just a huge gimic and a money pit!! I agree with Anita and Mona - tie it up, throw it in a garbage can, and on garbage day, haul it out to the back or to the street. It's the only way to go without having it in your house. Grand idea - just like the Diaper Genie, and I've never seen a diaper genie that actually works for any length of time! The bags are what will kill ya in cost per month!!! If only you could put in used grocery bags! Someone should patent that idea!! hehehehehe :D

Don't put your litter down the toilet - think of what it does to the pee - imagine it going through pipes with water!! It will clog your pipes!! :eek:

chico2
May 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM
I stopped using the regular clay-litter,vet said the dust will get into cats lungs,so I went with the clumping litter and it seems your damned if you do damned if you don't.I have been looking for the recycled newspaper-litter(Karins suggestion),but cannot find it anywhere,then again what about the ink,hubbie works for one of our big daily newspapers and the ink,although they've gone to more environmentally friendly stuff,is still toxic.
To be honest with you,my cats do not seem to lick their paws after the litter-box,whatever residue there is on their paws ends up on the floor,but that is just my observation.

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM
my cats do not seem to lick their paws after the litter-box,

Adult cats are fine, it's just little kittens who may pee then walk in it that are in danger from the clumping stuff.

What I do is save the plastic tubs some of the litter comes in, put a plastic bag in it and put the clumps in the bag. The lid helps keep the smell down, more or less.

I can't put any kind of litter down the toilet, as I have a septic tank.:(

Princesss04
May 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM
if you scoop the poo and pee balls out, put em exactly where you put your own, down the toilet. Its the best place for it as it will get propery treated.
when you do a full litter change you will still put it out with the normal garbage but as long as you regularly keep on top of whats happening in there you should be able to scheduale the changes to coinside with garbage day.

Here in Ottawa the N.C.C. actually ask's this of people who are out walking there dogs. Technically its illegal to put animal waste in this cities garbage cans.

just a thought..

If you are using clumping liter than you do not want to flush the liter in the toliet. It will cause alot of problems with your toliet.

chico2
May 20th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Thank's Lucky,I guess nothing is 100% safe,but I've used the clumping litter for a couple of years.When I got Vinnie and he was a baby,he had his own little box and I used sand from a pile we had outside until he graduated to the big boxes downstairs.

MeB4You
May 20th, 2004, 01:34 PM
I would not put the regular clumping litter down the toilet as it WILL cause even MORE clumping and clog the pipes resulting in a back-up. I especially would not do this in an aptarment either as it my clog the entire complexes main pipe and if it gets tracked back to you imagine THAT expense.

However, while reading this a commercial just came on behind me. Arm and hammer has a new flushable kitty litter. Has anyone tried this? Tips, problems, suggestions, etc? I'm betting its going to be expensive since its new (or at least it is the first I have heard about an actual flushable kitty litter) and wondering if the cost is really worth it!

Princesss04
May 20th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I have not heard of it but it sounds neat. Anything to make cleaning the liter box a little easier. I am going to Wal-Mart tonight I will look for it there and if they do not have it than I will run to the pet store and see what all I can find out about it. Becuase if it works it would be worth it LOL! :D

mona_b
May 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Well after reading about the clumping litter and posting it,I wouldn't use it....But that's just me..... :D

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4038

Princesss04
May 20th, 2004, 02:35 PM
I would not reccomend anyone to use it if you have little kittens if you have older cats I do not think it is that dangerous. I would ask your vet and see what he thinks.

cmt489
May 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM
DO NOT put clay or clumping litter down the toilet. You WILL regret it!! And yes, apartment/condo buildings have had some VERY expensive plumbing bills as a result of people putting litter down the toilet!!

When I was in university I did not want to put my cat litter down the chute (since I was in a no pet building and I didn't want anyone to smell it in the garbage room) and I used a traditional diaper pail (you know the kind - bucket with a sealing lid and an odour disc on the top). I would use sealed bags for the litter (zilpocs to be exact) and then put those in larger plastic bags. I used a glad kitchen catcher for the diaper pail (it has bacteria control to keep the smell down). I also treated the litter with baking soda, which also helps to eliminate odour. I would take the litter down about once every two weeks into the dumpster out back. This system worked very well and for cheaper (I would think) than a Litter Locker. To me, the Litter Locker looks like a fancy diaper pail. The cheap traditional one, replacing the odour discs, worked wonders for me!

Michelle

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Great tip, cmt! Learn something new here every day!:)