Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan's paw and shoulder... any ideas?

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Ok so this little guy doesn't get a break!! And before I explain, these two spots do not seem to be bothering him. Just me! :rolleyes:

Any how I am going to show you what I mean. The first photo is of the spot where the lump was, I have little experience with cysts, so do you think that it could have burst and left this scab on his shoulder? (The scab has since fallen off I think as I can't find it now.)

Second is his paw, its a small spot that looks almost like a wort. He chews at it occassionally but normally leaves it alone. Just not sure how concerned I should be if it doesn't bother him. Do cats get worts?

And the third... well thats just a cute thank you from Fagan and his twin!! :rolleyes::lovestruck:

Thanks guys, I figure I am just overly protective of him and am trying not to panick at every little thing.... he really does need a break from the vet if these are not urgent.

ancientgirl
September 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. I'm a constant worry wart over anything my two might have.

That first picture looks like a scab, but I'm not sure about the second. I don't know if cats get warts. It looks like some type of callus. Oh, and may I add, he's such a beautiful boy.

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Aw thanks.... He's my first orange tabby, and I find I am a sucker for orange male tabbies now. He actually reminds me of a cat I used to walk by every day on my way to school, Lucas, he lived right beside the walkway and used to lay out on the front lawn so that he got pets from all of us school kids. He always made my day. I imagine he's long gone now, but I'll always remember that and him.:angel: It's funny now that I think of it, I've always been kind of a cat person, I mean I love dogs too, but cats just seem to speak to my spirit somehow... like I was destined to care for them. Even when my allergies were horrible as a child I always just couldn't resist cuddling cats and kittens when we visited friends. Even though I left hardly able to breath and with a rash and puffy eyes.... it used to drive my parents nuts! :laughing::shrug::cat:

BabyJessy
September 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
My dog had a sore like that near her ear and I didn't want to panic and go to the vet right away ($$$$$) so I applied polysporin and it eventually just scabbed and healed and now there is nothing left but clear skin. The hair grew back, too. Still not sure what it was (maybe aggressive scratching caused a lesion?).

I don't know about the paw "wart".....:shrug:

ancientgirl
September 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Aw thanks.... He's my first orange tabby, and I find I am a sucker for orange male tabbies now. He actually reminds me of a cat I used to walk by every day on my way to school, Lucas, he lived right beside the walkway and used to lay out on the front lawn so that he got pets from all of us school kids. He always made my day. I imagine he's long gone now, but I'll always remember that and him.:angel: It's funny now that I think of it, I've always been kind of a cat person, I mean I love dogs too, but cats just seem to speak to my spirit somehow... like I was destined to care for them. Even when my allergies were horrible as a child I always just couldn't resist cuddling cats and kittens when we visited friends. Even though I left hardly able to breath and with a rash and puffy eyes.... it used to drive my parents nuts! :laughing::shrug::cat:

My whole life I wanted a pet. I remember when I was about 6 or 7 I used to fill these plastic baggies with water and pretend it was a cat (yeah I know a little weird), but we lived in apartments and my parents were too busy to even want to think about a pet.

My first kitty I got in high school, a silver tabby. But my pet owning days lasted less than a year when my first kitty and the one I got after both got killed by the neighbors dog. I tried again 10 years ago but my insurance wouldn't cover allergy medication. I tried to keep my cat but nothing I did helped with my allergies, which developed suddenly, so I had to give her away.

This time around, I am able to take allergy pills and spoil my two rotten.

I love animals, and dogs are wonderful, but there is something so wonderfully special about sharing your home with cats. I can't explain it. Only another roommate to a cat would understand.

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well I certainly understand.... and about the allergies too. All my life my parents wouldn't let us have pets because of my allergies, trying to protect me..... and what was the very first thing I did when I moved out? Got a cat!:laughing::cat: And to top it off she now lives with, guess who? My parents!!! ( I moved back home for a bit cause of money and was NOT allowed to take her with me when I moved in with hubby...:rolleyes:) They even now have a second cat, Fagan's sister actually. I do suffer quite a bit with the allergies especially now that I can't use the nose sprays anymore, but these guys are so worth it! :cat::lovestruck:

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
And thanks for the callus idea guys.... I didn't think of that. It could be from the bathroom tiles, they are loose and cracked right where he does his little 'shuffle' before jumping onto the counter for his 'sink drink'....

Oh and his legs have been a-ok for the last couple weeks.... so we all have our paws crossed that that continues!!:pray::D

ancientgirl
September 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I was looking at it again, and it also might be a blister too. If you have some tiles in your bathroom giving you problems, maybe that's done something to irritate his little paw.

chico2
September 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Dahmer,I have no advice,but me think's you worry too much(is there such a thing:laughing:)just wanted to say Fagan is absolutely adorable:lovestruck:
I too love Orange cats and green ones,red ones etc..
I've never had an orange kitty and now probably never will:cry:
Love the pic with Garfield,I too have a collection of Garfields,love the guy:laughing:

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Aw never say never Chico.... you should know better!!!:laughing:

And thanks, I saw that stuffed cat and couldn't resist.... I made hubby buy it for me.

I really don't think its a blister, it is hard and tough, was never pussy.

And of course I worry too much Chico! Don't we all?! :rolleyes::laughing:

Love4himies
September 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I too love Orange cats and green ones,red ones etc..
I've never had an orange kitty and now probably never will:cry:

Don't want to say that too loudly when badger is around, she'll be solving the "probably never will" issue pretty quickly so you could wipe away those tears and experience owning an orange kitty :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
If the scab has fallen off, the lump has resolved, and Fagan isnt bothering the shoulder, I think you can cross the first one off your worry list, krdahmer. :D

Kitty warts...hmmm...don't know, but I do know from experience that dogs get them. They also get infections between their pads sometimes, though--and that looks a little like what we see when that happens. If it doesn't get worse, it's probably okay to wait. Sometimes (in dogs at least) they clear up by themselves. How long has Fagan had it?

He sure is a handsome cat! :lovestruck: I'll tell you one of the things that makes cats special--nothing beats a warm cat, curled up in your lap and purrrrrrrring. :cloud9: The closest we get around here is when our 33 pound Grace falls asleep in hazel's lap and starts to snore loudly! :laughing:

chico2
September 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Oh Hazel,you are so funny:laughing:but my Rocky snores a lot and loud,twitches and makes other weird noises,so it's not only purrs:laughing:

krdahmer
September 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that both those scabbies have since fallen off, the paw one just today! :thumbs up0 Woohoo, nothing to panick about.... oh ya but now he is chewing his legs AGAIN!!!! AND Buddy has his arm all chewed too!!!!:yell::frustrated: So they are going for depo before they get any worse as I have been trying to avoid the shot by upping the holistic stuff but it is not doing the trick. And I know if I leave it too long it will be a giant mess!:frustrated::frustrated::sad:

badger
September 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Uh - what is depo?
I was going to say the top picture looked like a bite, I've seen enough of them in my strays. Glad everything healed OK.

sugarcatmom
September 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Uh - what is depo?

Depo-Medrol, a long-lasting corticosteriod (specifically methylprednisolone) injection.

Here's some good info on the side effects to watch out for: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=A&0=0&C=0&A=1622&EVetID=220148