Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking

kara1
September 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
hey hows everyone doing i'm not a dog owner as of yet but have been looking for some time. I have an option of getting a feist dog hes 2-3 years old but i cant find a lot of info on them other than they are hunting dogs. Hes been kind of neglected, as in no training whatsoever doesnt know how to play and not potty trained. I do know he is great with children, I have a three year old boy who loves dogs and does get along with this dog. Can any one help me out?:confused:

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Kara1 !

I had to look up Feist dog myself, having never heard of the breed. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mountainfeist.htm

Is the dog you are considering with a breeder or a hunter or in a shelter or ?

kara1
September 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
hey yah i'm possibly getting from a previous owner that used him once for hunting. hes not a breeder or anything

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Well, if the hunter doesn't want him I guess the dog isn't suitable for hunting and that's in your favour if you are looking for strictly a family dog rather than a dog with a high prey-drive.

crazydays
September 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Hi there! My concern would be the age of the dog with no training being done. This is a huge issue if you have never had a dog before. The dog will need alot of exercise and probably doesn't even know a leash. Then there are the potty training issues. Can this be done...yes. Will it be hard...yes. You have a 3 yr old and will have to be careful re temperment of this dog. I would say if you have time to invest in training re obedience classes, retraining re potty issues, willingness to devote to dog walking/taking dog for runs at off leash park etc its possible. I think the major issue for you is time (especially with the youngster). Also- do you have a fenced yard? Hounds follow their nose and are very good at escaping.