Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I wish I had...

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hindsight for most of us is always 20-20 but I really wish I had kept a "Dog Journal" for each of my dogs. Particularly with Ceili who's had a myriad of ealth issues over her 8 years. If I had kept a journal I would have a complete medical history for her especially things that I easily forget like how long she was on medication or naturopathic and homeopathic treatments and supplements, how she reacted to it and recovery milestones, how long she remained symptom-free and when she had relapses.

I guess it's never too late to start and I may try to work backwards a bit as I do keep all their Vet bills and have made some notes on them.

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
its good to keep all vet bills.....we do and have them in seperate folders for each.

crazydays
September 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I love the idea of a journal! I keep files with Vet info but it would be so wonderful to have a written journal -both with thoughts and photos. In this world of digital camera-which I love; I tend to keep everything on the computer. I guess My Space is a journal too but, it would be nice to have a journal on each dog that could go in the guest bedroom, or on the coffee table. I could sit with a coffee and laugh and cry too!!!!

I FEEL INSPIRED!:lightbulb:

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
With my six, I have an accordian file with detailed files on each cat plus all vet info and bills, arranged by date and cat, along with all their microchip info. I hadn't thought of including photos of injuries etc, thanks. I have the photos on the puter just not printed and in the files. I run my home office, so figured I might as well organize the kitties too. ;) I actually use a template for excel that I found at microsoft.com... called pet health log. It's a free download if you have excel. Very handy! I use it as the index for the cat's files, and a summary of their health history.

Tommysmom
September 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Oh Mummummum, what a great idea! I have kept all of Tommy's vet bills too, and all of his emergency room records, but I never thought of a journal. I have the info on meds he's taken, but no notes on what worked and how long it took, or supplements I've used, etc etc. With his medical history it could really come in handy in the future to know how long it took to see improvement when treating bad episodes, etc, as well as being really good info for other pups in the future.

You know, I think I will start one now. Better late than never. Thank you for the idea!

ancientgirl
September 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
When I first took Vlad to the vet for his first shots, they gave me a Kitten package from Hill's Science diet. It's a small binder type book that lets you write things down and has a spot for vet bills.

I've made a habit of keeping all of Vlad and Oksana's bills. It's never too late though, you can always backtrack and begin from now on.

otter
September 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I LOVE the pet journal idea!:thumbs up
Right now I think pets.ca has acted as my pet journal.. i've pretty much put Molly's whole life in my life story up here, photos, stories and all. I think it would be great to have a permanent record of all that. When Chloe was gone I tried to write a bit of a memoir for her but it was very difficult to remember lots of stuff that I wish I had more detail about.

:highfive:I'm going to get working in this!

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Mx3 you can also get a printed copy of the Vet's files too. I have a copy of Cally's entire vet file - I originally asked because I wanted his medical history before I got him & the vets office was more than happy to comply. Granted that won't help w/your thoughts on meds etc but might help to jog the memory :)

template for excel that I found at microsoft.com... called pet health log. It's a free download if you have excel. Very handy! I use it as the index for the cat's files, and a summary of their health history.

krdahmer Thanks for the tip :thumbs up I just downloaded it. :sorry: :offtopic: but for those of you who have allergies they have one for that too.

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
:highfive: Anytime! I love to organize and I really have found a lot of handy stuff while teaching myself microsoft office.... the free templates are great!

I never thought of asking the vet for copies of what they write down, that would be handy too if I ever had to switch vets, although I imagine I'd just ask for the whole file.:shrug::rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I never thought of asking the vet for copies of what they write down, that would be handy too if I ever had to switch vets, although I imagine I'd just ask for the whole file.:shrug::rolleyes:

They won't give the file, only copies even if the pet has passed on already - something about official medical records or something.

I got copies from when I adopted Cally, then after he passed I asked for the rest to complete my copy of the file - they store the old files for a few years I think, then they destroy them I guess, I did ask if they could give it to me instead but nope :shrug:

When I switched vets for Duffy due to moving, the old vet just had to fax a copy of it over to the new but the old keeps the original because of tattoo numbers/microchipping - they have it noted in the file who the new vet is :shrug:

hazelrunpack
September 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I do keep a simple journal for the dogs, MMM. Just a few notes about playtime, weather, exciting events, meds, reactions to meds, and, of course, injury (:rolleyes:) and illness (sigh). It has been an invaluable tool for someone with as bad a memory as hazel has. :o I think she has journals going back to 1987...

krdahmer
September 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks Growler, I had no idea they were as strict as our doc's!