Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

extrene licking

pamela brickend
May 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I adopted a homeless male cat who was neutered 2 months ago shortly before I got him. He seems happy, healthy, well-adjusted, affectionate and has a good appetite. However he has licked several areas inside his back legs until they are raw and sore looking. Any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it? I understand there is nasty tasting stuff you can put on the affected areas but wouldn't he just lick somewhere else?
I really appreciate any ideas you may have.
Pamela

Princesss04
May 19th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Does the area look red like maybe it is infected and bothering him?

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM
If you're sure he has no parasites - fleas, mites, etc. this is nearly always caused by stress. Perhaps coming to a new home and being neutered.

Are there any intact cats hanging around your place, spraying? Is there lots of activity in your home?

Sometimes a short course of medication helps break this habit, which can be compared to us biting our nails. I would not suggest putting foul tasting deterrents on him, as this would increase his stress. Instead, try getting some toys and catnip to help him release energy and hopefully CHILL OUT!;)

chico2
May 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM
My Chico,6yr old male cat,also used to lick himself on his belly and backlegs,until there was no hair left,but not raw.
He always was a bit nervy :D
Finding no parasites or anything else wrong with him,the vet gave me Variton-creme,it has an antihistamine and is soothing,after only one application his hair grew back and the incessant licking has stopped.