Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Afraid neighbor may poison my dog...

BabyJessy
September 9th, 2007, 02:34 AM
My single middle-aged neighbor has 3 mastiff-style dogs (he is only allowed 2 in our city). They are usually very quiet but I heard him hitting one repeatedly 2 years ago so I guess that's his way to get them to behave (yes, I called the authorities). He works full time and they are alone all day in a small house and only get outside in the small backyard (mostly sand) when he is home. He doesn't seem to play with them or bring them for walks. When they get out, the first thing they do is dash to the one-inch space under the fence and watch whatever is going on in our yard. It breaks my heart sometimes to hear crying when we are throwing the ball and playing with our Pom. In the spring I was gardening near the fence and a paw was sticking out about 6 inches; this made my Pom very excited, she started barking and I told her to shush (a few times) but suddenly I heard the neighbor yell out to me that I had a %$#@ problem because I couldn't keep my dog quiet and that HE keeps his dogs quiet. I told him "Yes, you beat them; don't think no-one knows about that. Yes, you're a really BIG man". I didn't hear from him after that, but I did try to keep my dog's excitement level down when his dogs were snorting or crying near the fence. Today, however, she was "in a mood" and I even had to physically remove her from that fence area because her barking (which gets them barking) was a bit much and she was not listening to me. Either the neighbor didn't notice my effort or perhaps he was "in a mood" himself, but yet again he yelled expletives and things about our inability to control our dog (my husband was the recipient this time). My husband told him that if he would keep his dogs away from the fence then there would be no provocation for our Pom. The neighbor swore again and went into his house. This guy has been our next-door neighbor for about 10 years and has hated us from the beginning because we put up a fence around that time. He has always been a bad, loud neighbor while we have always been very quiet until our little Pom came along 2 years ago and there is much more activity in our backyard - games, visits from other doggie friends, etc. I suppose he is irritated by all this. In any case, my husband is going to close up the one-inch gap at the botton of the fence tomorrow morning so there will be no more "window" for his dogs or mine.

Right now I am unable to sleep because I am afraid he will do something to hurt my dog. I think he would be capable of poisoning her (it would be easy to throw a ball of raw meat with poison over the fence). Family have told me not to be worried - if something happens he knows he will be the first accused. I am still worried; a man who can beat a dog repeatedly is not a thinking person. I have read that I can teach my dog to not touch any food except the food in her bowl. I doubt I will achieve this in a few days. I think I will accompany her on her backyard outings for a while. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Any ideas?

I hope I don't sound paranoid but I have heard of these things happening before and I really love my little muffin....

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Unfortunately the only thing (short of moving :rolleyes:) would be to be extra vigilent about not letting Jessy out before checking the yard ~ fortunately for you she's little enough to pick up before opening the door so she doesn't do a headlong dash into the unknown :D

Make sure she's not out alone even for a second, you might not know when :loser: neighbour is on the other side

Closing the gap under the fence is an excellent idea - hopefully it will stop the peeking & subsequent barking (though some dogs bark even more when they can't see what's going on :shrug:)

I think some people are just born :loser: whereas others are learned, regardless someone else (2 or 4 legged) always pays :sad:

:goodvibes: :grouphug: for you & yours
:pray: for the neighbour dogs they need an :angel: to save them

BabyJessy
September 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM
We ARE thinking of moving......not just because of the nut living beside us, but I admit he is 50% of the reason. It's been 10 years and he hasn't "improved" so I am beginning to lose hope for peace. Now with the pooch, I am just plain worried and life is hard enough without having to worry about your dog's safety in her own fenced-in back yard!!!

:grouphug: Thanks for your kind words.

TeriM
September 9th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I would also just be careful about watching the fence, I do agree that it is unlikely he would poisin your dog as he would likely be the first suspect and I'm sure he doesn't want anyone looking at his own dog situation very closely.
Good luck :goodvibes:.

T&Csmom
September 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Babyjessy, what a nasty neighbour:mad: If you think he's capable of harming your dog, I think it's best to not leave the pom unsupervised in the yard at least for sometime, until things cool off between you and him.

chico2
September 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
BabyJessy,would it not be nice,if we all had good neighbors:dog:
I do,at the moment..
What would bother me every day,would be the fact he beats his dogs,I don't think I could live with hearing any whimpering or crying from next door..:evil:
Anyone beating an animal,is a coward,maybe one day the 3 Mastiff-like dogs will teach him a lesson:pray:
As for him poisoning your Pom,it's always a possibility,we always check our yard before we take our cats outside,not because of poisons,but dead birds,mice etc...

Byrd
September 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Don't worry about being paranoid, my neighbour hates dogs and always complains about any barking, even the smell of pee!!! :shrug: I was worried about the same thing for a while, just after she told my landlords that dogs need to be in the country or kennels not in houses in the city and that they should get rid of the dog (thereby displacing me) and next time I saw her I gave her thanks for trying to get me kicked out of my home! I was worried about poisoning for a bit after, I went out with her all the time to keep an eye out for strange objects. It's hard, I know.

Good luck with your neighbour, it's not easy having bad neighbours. :frustrated:

BabyJessy
September 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The "dog beating" incident happened about 3 years ago, before I got Jessy. I was outside with my husband and heard a dog yelping in pain every 2 seconds or so; it sounded like he was using something to whack the dog (about 20 times with swearing before each whack). I had to hold back my husband who wanted to "go over there and kill him". I was crying, it was so painful to hear and to know how this animal's spirit would be crushed from now on and it was apparent he was using the dog to get his frustrations out. I called authorities (and warned all the neighbors who would listen to how this guy is a jerk) but the dogs were all still there afterwards so did authorities even really go? I don't know. Since that event I have only heard him hit one once in a single whack and yelp, but I don't know what goes on when the doors and windows are closed. I saw him on the street the other day, trying to force one to sit down on command while taking "a walk" (like 20 metres). He seems to fancy himself a dog trainer and breeder (that's why he has 3; one puppy didn't sell). I now see how shows like The Dog Whisperer can be destructive because even though they flash "don't try this at home" on the screen there is always a viewer with no brain saying "cool - I can do that" and completely screwing up his dog/s by playing trainer.

Time to go seal off that space under the fence! We will also block doggie access to behind the shed, a place where a sneaky person with bad intentions could easily hide a chocolate bar or something else that could kill my muffin! I have also decided to do some poison research (on this site and others) so I can quickly identify the signs and take quick action just in case my nightmare sadly comes true. Preparation is the key to prevention, I say.

I can't believe I feel I have to do this, but after 10 years of living next to this person, I can honestly say he is a :evil:

NoahGrey
September 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
The "dog beating" incident happened about 3 years ago, before I got Jessy. I was outside with my husband and heard a dog yelping in pain every 2 seconds or so; it sounded like he was using something to whack the dog (about 20 times with swearing before each whack).

Why not call your local SPCA. They will have a investigator out. All calls that come in are kept annoymous and confidental.

ACO22

BabyJessy
September 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I already did (that same day, 3 years ago) but I don't know if they actually came. And now he is not doing anything "wrong" except yelling "NO" in a mean way but that can't be reported. And his "dog training" is not unlawful, unfortunately.......

Chilver
September 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I can sympathize with you, I have the same problem with a neighbour. There really isn't much you can do about it but watch your dog and go out every time. I was thinking of putting a privacy fence between the properties as there is a chain link now but that really won't solve the problem. Just be very vigilant and pray he moves.

Bluedrake
September 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I hope your worst fear does not come true! :pray:

I know what it is to have a dog and lousy neighbours. Although I must say I was particularly unlucky, in the sense that in my neighbourhood, we had a gang of teenagers who would go around breaking stuff, and they did sometimes pick on the dogs.

It's a very nasty surprise to find broken beer bottles in your fenced-in backyard, especially when you have to remove a sliver from your poor dog's paw.

Ah well, take heart, if he is so loud, there is little chance that he will actually do something. It's the quiet ones who take action, usually.

Dracko
September 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I could not stand to know the dogs were being mistreated. I'd have to find a way to steal them and rehome them. I am serious. I would.

When I first got Dracko my neighbour at the time poisoned him and the dog on the other side of his property. Another neighbour actually saw him putting the treats on my side of the fence. Dracko was only a few months old and very sick. After that and for the 4 years I lived there he was never allowed outside alone. Now he is 7 and has no idea how to play by himself outside. :frustrated: If I let him out to go to the bathroom he comes right back to the door when he's done. Doesn't get why he should stay outside at all. Although, I got him a pool this summer and he has occasionally stayed outside alone and played in it.

Good luck...I know your worry as I lived with it for many years.