Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is it a pulled muscle?

ardor
September 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
So I have this little Chihuahua who is about 2 years old. He's not a very active dog, but jumps and runs all over the place when we take him to the park.

Anyhow, a couple days ago- we had put him in his kennel, and decided we were gonna go grab some Wendy's to eat. Decided to take him with us. My boyfriend took him out of the kennel. Afterwards, I went to pick up my boy, and he started whipering. You know the sound when dogs are hurt or sad. I didn't know what was wrong, so I put him back down and noticed all of a sudden he was walking on only three legs.

I don't know what it could be. He might of jumped out of his kennel and landed wrong, pulled a muscle maybe? We've tried to make him walk on all his four legs, and he does pretty okay with it. We've strecthed his leg out, and it doesn't seem to be broken.

I'm not sure what the problem is and don't want to take him to the vet to find out that it'll heal on it's own. Waste of money. Any help would very much appericated!!!

pitgrrl
September 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I've certainly had dogs land wrong and limp for a step or two and shake it off, but a lasting limp or signs of discomfort would have me at the vet within a day or two.

Here's how I would think of it, you could go to the vet now, maybe spend the $30 or $40 on an office visit and find out it's not a big deal, or you could skip the vet and risk causing further harm to an already injured leg/joint/tendon/etc.

I know nothing about chis, but my dogs will hide pain and discomfort because they're just a bit stupid like that, so if they are showing signs of trouble, it's worth paying attention to, IMO.

hazelrunpack
September 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I agree with pitgrrl. If this has been going on for a couple of days now without improvement, chances are the injury is not minor. It could be something serious--perhaps an ACL injury or a joint injury. Getting it diagnosed and treated now will save you money in the long run. But more importantly, it will save your chi the pain and suffering of a chronic injury.

If your dog isn't better by now, I hope you decide to make a vet appointment to have him looked at! :fingerscr

mummummum
September 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
...I'm not sure what the problem is ...

I think you hit the nail on the head! Soft tissue injuries are best diagnosed by a Vet.

When my dog tore her Anterior Cruciate Ligament this summer she was just trotting along in the park, not running and with no hairpin turns ~ just trotting along enjoying the day. It can happen very quickly and with little cause in some dogs.

...don't want to take him to the vet to find out that it'll heal on it's own...

As the injury occurred a few days ago, you should be seeing signs of healing already if not full recovery if it is something like a strained muscle. Better to spend the money now than potentially have a permanently disabled and very costly dog later. At the very least you will have some peace of mind.

ardor
September 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
As a matter of fact, I do have a piece of mind- thank you very much.

It has been about a day since he started walking on his three legs. I'll give it a day or two to see how he progresses. I did not want to take him to the vet because sometimes he does perfectly fine on his own walking on all four legs.

Appericate your input, but don't appericate your rude comments.

hazelrunpack
September 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I'm afraid you misunderstood the phrase "peace of mind", ardor. The only rudeness I see in this thread is your comment about rudeness. But maybe that's just me :shrug:

ardor
September 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Uh.. sure.

anyways.

mummummum
September 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
As a matter of fact, I do have a piece of mind- thank you very much...Appericate your input, but don't appericate your rude comments.

I think either you have misunderstood or I have been unclear or I have made an incorrect assumption. By "peace of mind" I simply mean feeling assured that your dog is well or on his way to being well ~ not having to worry. As any good owner would be, you are worried or you wouldn't have joined this board and posed your question. But, there again perhaps I have assumed that you are worried.

In your original post you refer to this injury as having happened a few days ago Anyhow, a couple days ago...noticed all of a sudden he was walking on only three legs. not yesterday or the day before
It has been about a day since he started walking on his three legs.. As such I and everyone else responded as if the dog was on Day 3 of an injury and gave what I think is sound advice being to see a Vet. Perhaps you are now unclear on when the injury actually occurred as this new date presented by you after receiving advice certainly extends how much longer it is reasonable to "wait and see".

SnowDancer
September 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
My first thought when I read your initial post was that the injury had occurred at least 2 days' prior to your joining the board to ask for advice (the word "a couple" would indicate 2 days - "a few" generally 3 or more). You were given excellent advice and no one was rude to you. You are the one who changed the timing of the injury to "yesterday" and responded in an unacceptable manner. I am happy that you at least have peace of mind, I for one would not. I hope that you learn to "appreciate" that others did try to help you and put the welfare of your pup first.

rainbow
September 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
It sounds like a luxating patella which is very common in chihuahuas and other small breeds.

http://www.orangevillavet.com/articles/medial_luxating_patella.htm